Brass Prep For Accuracy

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Brass Prep For Accuracy

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 am

When I first began learning to reload, I watched and read every single piece of information I could find about brass resizing. I saw and heard numerous opinions as far as Neck Sizing Only and/or Full Length Resizing Rifle Brass for producing the most accurate ammunition. There were numerous video's and opinions on which was best.

My first efforts involved Neck Sizing only, and I found some accuracy improvements, but not as much as I had been hoping for. Then I tried Full Length Resizing, and found I was totally working my brass too much. I relied on Case Gauges to tell me when I had my dies set correctly. Accuracy, still wasn't where I wanted it. (Note: These were basically for .243, 25/06, 30/06 and .300 WM).

Then, I met OldmanFCSA and took his reloading classes. I had not asked him about precision rifle ammo reloading, as I was still getting the basics, and mostly pistol ammo instructions from him. He then invited me to go to a 50 BMG Match in Alliance, NE, and I joined him. He and the great people I met there got me hooked on the Big Gun.

So, we get back and I quickly find out I'm going to need FAR MORE INSTRUCTION when it came to loading Match Quality Ammo to feed a precision 50 BMG Rifle. Again, I start looking for every piece of information I can find on the subject. I see varying opinions on FL Resizing as well as only Neck Sizing. So I now ask the Experienced 50 BMG guy I just happen to know, what he does. I get asked several really tough questions, and when I give an answer, I'm asked "Why". "Because I either read it, or saw it online, so it must be right......WRONG. Oldman took the time to explain how He Processes his brass, and the fact that he not only Anneals after every firing, but he also does a FL Resize, and only bumps the shoulder back .002". So, I decided that I went to him for advice, I should follow it, until I find it doesn't work. Well it DOES work and after seeing the results at the next match, and the other shooters telling me to FL Resize, that's exactly what I now do. Not only to my 50 BMG Brass, but to ALL Rifle Calibers I now load. They get the "Full Monte" - Decap, wet tumble, inspect, anneal, FL resize (bumping should back just enough until it fits my chamber the way I like it), trim as necessary. There are other steps, such as uniforming the primer pocket, enlarging the flash hole, neck turning my cases etc..etc..

Then, today, I stumble upon another shooting competitor with a pretty good and recent video on youtube. I thought some of you might enjoy watching and listening to this guy.

PS: I will ALWAYS be grateful to OldmanFCSA for mentoring me, and being a Good Friend. I've learned more from him in 4+ years, than I would have learned in 10 or more years on my own. Thank you, Doug.

[youtube=http://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g][/youtube]

Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the Youtube video is not showing up like I have posted them before? Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the Youtube video is not showing up like I have posted them before?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Brass Prep For Accuracy

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 am

So the Student thinks he can out shoot his Mentor = WRONG.

If you want a competition I will mount the 40" SS 1.760"dia, 0.4990 bore, 0.5095" rifling depth, 8 groove barrel that should be coming soon. The 1:13.7 twist will be better suited to the 815-820 grain brass solids I will be testing soon thereafter. Comparing to my shot-out barrel is a moot point.

I did make a mistake and shot loads that were a bit to high for my 7th loading of this brass --- 250.0 grains of RL50 with an 808 grain brass solid shoots nice but results in brass that come out of chamber with loose or missing primers. The TZZ-95 brass I was using is much thinner than my proven IK-98 Match brass which requires a smaller powder load due to thicker body brass.
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby ex-LT on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

BigDog58 wrote:When I first began learning to reload, I watched and read every single piece of information I could find about brass resizing. I saw and heard numerous opinions as far as Neck Sizing Only and/or Full Length Resizing Rifle Brass for producing the most accurate ammunition. There were numerous video's and opinions on which was best.

My first efforts involved Neck Sizing only, and I found some accuracy improvements, but not as much as I had been hoping for. Then I tried Full Length Resizing, and found I was totally working my brass too much. I relied on Case Gauges to tell me when I had my dies set correctly. Accuracy, still wasn't where I wanted it. (Note: These were basically for .243, 25/06, 30/06 and .300 WM).

Then, I met OldmanFCSA and took his reloading classes. I had not asked him about precision rifle ammo reloading, as I was still getting the basics, and mostly pistol ammo instructions from him. He then invited me to go to a 50 BMG Match in Alliance, NE, and I joined him. He and the great people I met there got me hooked on the Big Gun.

So, we get back and I quickly find out I'm going to need FAR MORE INSTRUCTION when it came to loading Match Quality Ammo to feed a precision 50 BMG Rifle. Again, I start looking for every piece of information I can find on the subject. I see varying opinions on FL Resizing as well as only Neck Sizing. So I now ask the Experienced 50 BMG guy I just happen to know, what he does. I get asked several really tough questions, and when I give an answer, I'm asked "Why". "Because I either read it, or saw it online, so it must be right......WRONG. Oldman took the time to explain how He Processes his brass, and the fact that he not only Anneals after every firing, but he also does a FL Resize, and only bumps the shoulder back .002". So, I decided that I went to him for advice, I should follow it, until I find it doesn't work. Well it DOES work and after seeing the results at the next match, and the other shooters telling me to FL Resize, that's exactly what I now do. Not only to my 50 BMG Brass, but to ALL Rifle Calibers I now load. They get the "Full Monte" - Decap, wet tumble, inspect, anneal, FL resize (bumping should back just enough until it fits my chamber the way I like it), trim as necessary. There are other steps, such as uniforming the primer pocket, enlarging the flash hole, neck turning my cases etc..etc..

Then, today, I stumble upon another shooting competitor with a pretty good and recent video on youtube. I thought some of you might enjoy watching and listening to this guy.

PS: I will ALWAYS be grateful to OldmanFCSA for mentoring me, and being a Good Friend. I've learned more from him in 4+ years, than I would have learned in 10 or more years on my own. Thank you, Doug.

Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the Youtube video is not showing up like I have posted them before? Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the Youtube video is not showing up like I have posted them before?

You need to use the full address (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g, not http://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g)
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I sure hope that he pays better attention to his reloading..................

"I've done this plenty of times before - here hold my beer"............ :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:34 pm

ex-LT wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:When I first began learning to reload, I watched and read every single piece of information I could find about brass resizing. I saw and heard numerous opinions as far as Neck Sizing Only and/or Full Length Resizing Rifle Brass for producing the most accurate ammunition. There were numerous video's and opinions on which was best.

You need to use the full address (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG2kSrD40g, not http://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g)

I tried using both, and neither would display the video as it did for you. I placed it in the 1st [youtube= Placed address here] set of brackets, as I have done before. It never gave me the video in the posting like your posting shows. I tried numerous times to edit.
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby xd ED on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:06 pm

BigDog58 wrote:I tried using both, and neither would display the video as it did for you. I placed it in the 1st [youtube= Placed address here] set of brackets, as I have done before. It never gave me the video in the posting like your posting shows. I tried numerous times to edit.

The period in youtu.be may be the issue.
This guy has some interesting videos posted.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Just tried it again by looking at a reply posting (preview) and the link worked. I think there may have been an incorrect address in the address I cut & pasted into the youtube link. ex-LT has it correct, you have to use the web address at the top of your browser, not the link you get when you click "share" in youtube. I tried numerous times when making the original post, but it simply would not work :cogitating:
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Return to Ammunition & Reloading