titegroup question

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

titegroup question

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Buddy just gave me a bottle of this stuff and doing the smell test to see if it is good or not yields nearly no smell at all. Have never used this particular powder but most i use smell sweet for lack of a better word. Just trying to decide to use it or not. Will likely error on the side of safety and fertilize some plants.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: titegroup question

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Did you pour any out and look at it? I had some IMR 4895 that went bad, and it had a reddish tint to it. It still smelled okay, but it was clearly deteriorating. It made great fertilizer.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Titegroup was introduced in 2003. Unless there was recall batch, it would be unusual for a modern smokeless powder to go bad in 14 years. And yes, if it smells fine or has little odor, it should be good. Off color powder is definitely fertilizer!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Titegroup was introduced in 2003. Unless there was recall batch, it would be unusual for a modern smokeless powder to go bad in 14 years. And yes, if it smells fine or has little odor, it should be good. Off color powder is definitely fertilizer!!!

Never underestimate the ability of people to store powder wrong! If I recall correctly Titegroup is silver/green so if it's turned red like BigDog suggested I would definitely ditch it. I have some at home I could smell later if I remember to but I want to say that it does not have as much scent as most of my other powders.
grimbeaver

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks guys. Got a LOT of different powders including (2) 1 gallon freezer bags of fertilizer for sure. 3 bottles (different kinds) smell great and look great. The TG looks good but has almost no smell so I wanted some other opinions before giving it a shot. The newer bottles are not shown in the picture.
Attachments
20171018_150922.jpg
LarryFlew

Postby noylj on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

When powder goes BAD, it produces nitric acid and there are reddish/brown particles that come out of the can and a strong acrid odor. The "sweet" smell you get from some powders is from the aromatic solvents used in production that were not fully removed.
My can of TiteGroup still contains some of the new "green" low volatility solvents that have sort of a "disinfectant" odor that makes it clump rather severely in the hopper of the measure and is NOT going to evaporate away any time soon.
noylj

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am

Well, the black powder shouldn’t be a problem.

Some of those types of containers I still have and use. Running low on the Alcan though...

Depending on how it has been stored some of those can still be good, and some of those containers are collectibles now in their own right.
crbutler

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 pm

All of those pictured are empty either because they already where or where bad by way of smell or looks.
LarryFlew

Return to Ammunition & Reloading