41 Mag Plated Bullets

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

41 Mag Plated Bullets

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm going to load up my first 41 mag rounds and picked up some Berry plated 210gr projectiles.

Looked through my 4 manuals and they have jacketed and lead recipes but nothing specific to plated.

Berry's website indicates to use lead charge weights or low power jacketed (under 1200fps).

I don't shoot any lead so was wondering if there are powders that are friendly to those charge weights.

I have 110, 295 and Bullseye but there seems to be a lot of 2400 data. Looking for something soft shooting not full magnum power. Actually considered also trying some 41 special brass form Starline and loading a few powder puffs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mmcnx2

Re: 41 Mag Plated Bullets

Postby aprilian on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 pm

My x-treme plated bullets came with instructions to load between lead and jacketed data. I am using Bullseye with them and it seems fine for 25 yd accuracy.
aprilian

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:12 pm

aprilian wrote:My x-treme plated bullets came with instructions to load between lead and jacketed data. I am using Bullseye with them and it seems fine for 25 yd accuracy.

Have you tried looking through your loading manuals for 41 Special data?? I can't find a listing for that specific cartridge. As it turns out, it's a wildcat designed by Elmer Keith to allow the 41 caliber round to be shot through 44 Special cylinder length wheelguns. So if you buy 41 Mag brass and 41 special brass, you will have TWO cases for the same bullet that are different length, and have different pressures. Are you LITERALLY willing to bet your life that you never, ever get two of these cases mixed up?? Considering you can make all the powder puff 41 loads you want with smaller charges of Bullseye using 41 mag cases, why are you trying to make your life more complicated and dangerous to boot? If you load a full power 41 mag load into one of those 41 Special cases someday, you will be in uncharted territory.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
aprilian wrote:My x-treme plated bullets came with instructions to load between lead and jacketed data. I am using Bullseye with them and it seems fine for 25 yd accuracy.

Have you tried looking through your loading manuals for 41 Special data?? I can't find a listing for that specific cartridge. As it turns out, it's a wildcat designed by Elmer Keith to allow the 41 caliber round to be shot through 44 Special cylinder length wheelguns. So if you buy 41 Mag brass and 41 special brass, you will have TWO cases for the same bullet that are different length, and have different pressures. Are you LITERALLY willing to bet your life that you never, ever get two of these cases mixed up?? Considering you can make all the powder puff 41 loads you want with smaller charges of Bullseye using 41 mag cases, why are you trying to make your life more complicated and dangerous to boot?

Actually Sam the point of the 41 special was to allow for lower charges with less risk of powder positional issues, yes it was a wildcat designed by Keith. The 41 is one of the few cartridges where the special version did not come first. Then given the unpopularity of the cartridge the special was never officially developed. However, among dedicated 41 shooters the special is so popular starline actually makes new brass just for them. I don't think 2 brass lengths are a big deal, the 357/38 special guys(including myself) have been doing it for decades. My reloading are is very well organized. I load one recipe at a time and never leave anything half done. When I load I load a high volume of that recipe and then clear the table before starting the next. In 30 years of actively loading over dozens of different calibers and some with 2 recipes I've never messed up components. I understand the risks and thus am extremely careful and meticulous about loading and record keeping. I lot control all my brass and loads, chrono each batch and store it well marked with dates and components. As a guy that brags about loading some very HOT stuff I would have expected as the resident reloading troll you would have questioned why anyone would load .01 grains less than max.
mmcnx2

Postby crbutler on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Given that the .41 special is a wildcat, there is no real official max loading for it. Yes if you use .41 mag powder with .41 spl OAL, you will have a lot higher pressure...but if you load .41 spl brass to mag length, it's less crimp and case contact (bullet comes out and locks up the cylinder) but not pressure issues.

I wouldn't worry too much; if you can find a bullseye load, it will be a powderpuff load compared to full magnum.

Be careful with crimping though... the plated bullets tend to come apart at the crimp if it's too heavy and leave pieces of plating in the bore. Thus an obstruction.

I personally use either lead and mess with cleaning or regular jacketed bullets because of that.
crbutler

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 am

Well, crbutler, thank you for the education on the 41 Spl. After finding no loading data for it in many manuals, the thought of a relative newbie buying both kinds of brass, and then keeping those two cases completely separate from each other even though they are going into the same gun seemed like an accident waiting to happen. I have the same situation with shooting 45 ACP and 45 Super, and getting even ONE 45 ACP case in a batch of 45 Super brass is almost a guarantee of a kaboom. As such, you have to understand the risk you are taking, and act as if your life depends on NEVER letting a 45 ACP case into your 45 Super brass, because your life DOES depend on not making that mistake!! Hopefully that issue is now fully understood.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 am

Seismic Sam wrote: ....the thought of a relative newbie buying both kinds of brass, and then keeping those two cases completely separate from each other even though they are going into the same gun seemed like an accident waiting to happen. ...

Not what I would call a newbie to reloading, 30+ years loading; I would estimate over 250,000 rounds without a squib, double or a failure of any kind. I am new to the 41 mag and all I did was ask for preferred powder for a soft magnum load. I did not ask for load data; simply looking for some direction on powder selection to thin the options I was considering. As experienced reloaders some of us understand just because you can load something does not mean it will preform or it will perform in the manner we desire. Read the original post all I asked was preferences to 110, 296 Bullseye or 2400 in 41 Magnum. Lastly and separately I indicate at some point might try 41 special, did not say I was looking for load data, or even suggest I was looking for any info on 41 special just offered it to substantiate the power level I was interested in.

Sam, maybe for once you should actually read and understand the posts, not make assumptions, know the facts or stay under your reloading rock. I also love the fact you assume it is OK for you to reload 45 ACP and 45 Super but anyone else is to inexperienced to grasp the concept of case length and what it does to pressure.

And we wonder why folks don't hang around here.
mmcnx2

Postby Dutch on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Drift: I always thought that 45acp and super were the same external dimensions... :?
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Dutch, 45 ACP and super are the same externally the difference is the webbing(internal dimensions) This variation creates a difference in volume thus pressure, much like case length. The point is case length is much easier to visually to detect and concern was expresses about someone(who was ignorantly and incorrectly identified as a newbie) misloading the 41 mag vs 41 special, yet at the same time it is fine this person to load 45 super and acp. Kinda of double standard and a little bit of a superiority complex on their part.
mmcnx2

Postby Rodentman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 am

Even if someone made it thru the charging step, would the seating/crimping step make the diff between 41 mag and spl blatantly obvious?
Rodentman

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Rodentman wrote:Even if someone made it thru the charging step, would the seating/crimping step make the diff between 41 mag and spl blatantly obvious?

Gee you think, if the spl got mixed with the mag, you might notice the bullet almost falling out. If you had a mag mixed with a spl the bullet almost flush with the brass might be a hint. Some days the comments from the reloading trolls here are comical to anyone that has a clue....makes you wonder if they really have a clue.

Like I said the 357/38 special folks have kept brass lengths separated for a few decades, not close to rocket science.

To wrap this up I ended up running 231 under the plated bullets, very very accurate, minimal recoil, a bit of a muzzle flash, chrono'ed just a bit over 1050fps. The 110 was much more bang and not as easy to shoot, also did not yield the accuracy of the 231. If I want full magnum loads I'll retry the 110 at heavier charges, might change the accuracy.
mmcnx2

Return to Ammunition & Reloading