.45-70 reloads for handguns?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

.45-70 reloads for handguns?

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone in this forum has come accross any reliable recipes on loading the venerable .45-70 for handgun applications. With the T/C having been available in this chambering for several years one would think that someone has worked this one out. All the data I have found is for rifle loads which work fine of course but you loose so much unburned powder due to the shorter barrel length. I am thinking if someone has worked with fasterburning pistol powders in this load that might deliver improved velocity with heavy hardcast lead bullets (405 or 420 gr). I am by no means an expert in the reloading arts but have dabbled a bit over the years.
Holland&Holland

Re: .45-70 reloads for handguns?

Postby ex-LT on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Just wondering if anyone in this forum has come accross any reliable recipes on loading the venerable .45-70 for handgun applications. With the T/C having been available in this chambering for several years one would think that someone has worked this one out. All the data I have found is for rifle loads which work fine of course but you loose so much unburned powder due to the shorter barrel length. I am thinking if someone has worked with fasterburning pistol powders in this load that might deliver improved velocity with heavy hardcast lead bullets (405 or 420 gr). I am by no means an expert in the reloading arts but have dabbled a bit over the years.

I just happen to have the Lyman manual here at my desk. Has a whole section of reloading data dedicated to the T/C Contender, one page of which is for the .45-70. If I can get my scanner to work (haven't had much luck with it lately), I may be able to help you out.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Thank you MNNavy that would be exactly what I am looking for.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:14 pm

A guy I work with has a 45-70 revolver. Do you want me to get some of his "pet" loads for you?
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 am

goalie wrote:A guy I work with has a 45-70 revolver. Do you want me to get some of his "pet" loads for you?

That would be great. Thank you goalie.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
goalie wrote:A guy I work with has a 45-70 revolver. Do you want me to get some of his "pet" loads for you?

He is bringing me load data at work tomorrow, so I'll post it then.

;)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm

goalie wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

He is bringing me load data at work tomorrow, so I'll post it then.

;)

Thanks again
Holland&Holland

Postby Belgiboy on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:22 am

I knew I had come across some 45-70 pistol loads recently and couldn't remember where... I sat down on the john to think about it and it was looking at me from the floor right next to my feet.

These loads come from the Februari edition of Shooting times. They are for a T/C contender with the 14-inch barrel
I realize they're no fast-burning pistol powders but hey, if they work for Layne Simpson they're good enough for me

300 gr Nosler Partition, 54.0 gr H322, vel=1703 fps
300 gr Sierra FNHP, 46 gr Reloder 7, vel=1655 fps
350 gr Swift A-frame, 39 gr Reloder 7, vel=1510 fps

I have a bucket of H322 which I'm not gonna use any time soon. If you want, I can give you some to try out some loads. .
That is a very interesting project you have there.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Belgiboy wrote:I knew I had come across some 45-70 pistol loads recently and couldn't remember where... I sat down on the john to think about it and it was looking at me from the floor right next to my feet.

These loads come from the Februari edition of Shooting times. They are for a T/C contender with the 14-inch barrel
I realize they're no fast-burning pistol powders but hey, if they work for Layne Simpson they're good enough for me

300 gr Nosler Partition, 54.0 gr H322, vel=1703 fps
300 gr Sierra FNHP, 46 gr Reloder 7, vel=1655 fps
350 gr Swift A-frame, 39 gr Reloder 7, vel=1510 fps

I have a bucket of H322 which I'm not gonna use any time soon. If you want, I can give you some to try out some loads. .
That is a very interesting project you have there.

Thanks for the load info. These look like some great loads if they are getting those velocities. On the offer, it will be some time before I have a chance to put some loads together so I will pass on your offer, but thanks again.
Holland&Holland

Return to Ammunition & Reloading