.224 Valkyrie? Any insight?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: .224 Valkyrie? Any insight?

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Ghost wrote:
Uffdaphil wrote:Grim, I guess I overlooked that it uses different mags. That is a big negative for me. Creedmoor may still be preferable.

Creedmoor uses an AR10 vs an AR15. You can buy plenty of mags for the difference.

I’m now leaning towards a second upper for my 308 for Creedmoor and use the same mags. Plus I have a buncch of Creed ammo already. Yeah it will be heavy, but mostly bipod shooting and run ‘n gun ain’t in my old reality.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:31 am

Squib Joe wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:1st upper I have seen thats out for sale. Was hyped about this caliber but will wait awhile and see real world data once folks get this in there hands.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-r ... 47591.html

Does out of stock count?

They are back in stock @ 449.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-r ... 3a00+Email

grimbeaver

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 am

I'm curious to hear a little more insight on the rifle+2 length gas that some manufacturers are doing and if it's really worth while.
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

grimbeaver wrote:I'm curious to hear a little more insight on the rifle+2 length gas that some manufacturers are doing and if it's really worth while.

So longer than rifle length? Tell me more.
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
grimbeaver wrote:I'm curious to hear a little more insight on the rifle+2 length gas that some manufacturers are doing and if it's really worth while.

The claim for the JP barrels:
... barrels use the somewhat unusual “extra long” gas system, which is two inches longer than the standard “rifle length” gas system normally used with 20″ barrels. The longer gas system coupled with large diameter port settings reportedly increase dwell time while reducing the port pressure.

Rainier Arms is doing the +2 length as well. Not sure about others.
grimbeaver

Postby Ghost on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

My LaRue 6.5CM has an extended rifle length system. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am

Sorry for being obtuse, what is the advantage?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Sorry for being obtuse, what is the advantage?

Different gas-system lengths come into play as bullets move down their barrels, reducing the pressure behind them. A longer gas tube corresponds to a gas port placed farther down the barrel (toward the muzzle), yielding lower port pressures, since there is more room for the expanding gases behind the bullet as it passes the gas port. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle, pressure drops off. Therefore, a gas port closer to the muzzle reduces the amount of time that highly pressurized gas has to act on the operating system after the bullet passes the port, usually referred to as "dwell time." When comparing two barrels of equal length—but with different gas systems—the longer gas tube will produce a reduced dwell time. The practical results are usually slower bolt-carrier movement and a slight reduction in felt recoil. The latter facet is quite apparent to someshooters but can go completely unnoticed by others. I regularly shoot all three gas-system lengths, and I can feel the difference in otherwise-like barrels.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/9/24/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Not much said at SHOT about the 224. So far only 4 manufactures I have seen is making uppers or complete rifles. Maybe they ran their mouths off before they thoroughly tested it and found something. I will wait awhile and see what happens. Wrapped my money up on another toy anyways so will have to wait.
Bearcatrp

Postby BC98 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Not much said at SHOT about the 224. So far only 4 manufactures I have seen is making uppers or complete rifles. Maybe they ran their mouths off before they thoroughly tested it and found something. I will wait awhile and see what happens. Wrapped my money up on another toy anyways so will have to wait.

Just off the top of my head, these companies have announced that they will be supporting the cartridge:
JP
LWRC
Savage
Ballistic Advantage (barrels & uppers)
Barrett (semi-auto & bolt gun)
Seekins Precision
CMMG
Stag Arms
Larue
Palmetto State Armory
MPA (bolt guns)
CMT Tactical (uppers)
Rainier Arms (barrels)
Criterion (barrels)
Craddock Precision (barrels)
BC98

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Not much said at SHOT about the 224. So far only 4 manufactures I have seen is making uppers or complete rifles. Maybe they ran their mouths off before they thoroughly tested it and found something. I will wait awhile and see what happens. Wrapped my money up on another toy anyways so will have to wait.

It's just early. Ammo just started rolling out in December. I think some products were/are waiting for SAAMI approval. Already hearing more buzz then the 22 Nosler had.
grimbeaver

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 pm

BC98 wrote:

Just off the top of my head, these companies have announced that they will be supporting the cartridge:
JP
LWRC
Savage
Seekins Precision
CMMG
Stag Arms
Larue
Palmetto State Armory
MPA (bolt guns)
CMT Tactical (uppers)
Rainier Arms (barrels)
Criterion (barrels)

Nice list. Just checked seekins and don't see anything on their site. Got a link? I did see one bolt rifle but was very expensive. Will be checking others on your list. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Postby JJ on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
BC98 wrote:

JP
LWRC
Savage
Seekins Precision
CMMG
Stag Arms
Larue
Palmetto State Armory
MPA (bolt guns)
CMT Tactical (uppers)
Rainier Arms (barrels)
Criterion (barrels)

Nice list. Just checked seekins and don't see anything on their site. Got a link? I did see one bolt rifle but was very expensive. Will be checking others on your list. Thanks.

Some folks on the board, work in industry, and have info on upcoming releases...

Proof Research
Mossberg
Airborne Arms
Deadshot barrels
Acme Machining
X-caliber
Rock Creek barrels
White Oak
The Firm Rifles
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 am

Just watched that. No way would I want a 24 inch barrel on a AR. Am interested in a 12 inch pistol set up though. Provided it can be accurate out to 500 yards though. With a 24 inch barrel and 90 grain bullet staying supersonic past 1300 yards, a 12 inch should do this out to 600 yards, hoping at least.
Bearcatrp

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading