10mm issue...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: 10mm issue...

Postby Rodentman on Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I have the Redding carbide GRX die and used it on my current batch of 10mm. I also committed the sacrilege of using the Lee FCD and noticed some pressure on the round entering the die, indicating the carbide sizing ring was squeezing the cartridge. I plunk tested this batch in the DW 1911 and two Glocks with EFK after market bbls which are tighter than the stock ones. All plunked fine. I may get to the range tomorrow to test these.

These are seated at 12.50-1.255 and that's about as short as the Hornady bullets will allow.

I have good confidence these will work and am anxious to try. Hopefully tomorrow.
Rodentman

10mm issue...

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Did you feel that GRX die working hard? Or did the cases just glide through? Did some feel tighter than others? Just curious as I never used a push through die before.
gun_fan111v2

Postby linksep on Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I resize .40 head-first through a Lee FCD. I put a 32 ACP inside a 9x19 and use that as a pusher, it's not a sweet custom depriming-pusher like OldmanFCSA made, but it works. If you have a 9mm Mauser case laying around you could probably use that as a pusher (put a wooden dowel in it for support).
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Rodentman on Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Yes there is a fair amount of pressure needed to push the cases through and this is after full length resizing.

I run them through head down, as with any other die. Are you saying it should be head first?
Rodentman

Postby linksep on Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 am

Some people do push-through resizing ("bulge busting") head first.

Do different head stamps require the same high effort for bulge busting? The last batch of once-fired (out of my Taurus) that I bulge busted, the Federal Bulk pushed through fairly easily, Tula Brass Maxx required a LOT more effort.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Rodentman on Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am

Frankly I didn't pay attention to headstamps when using the GRX. I had to lube the brass even though I am using the carbide die. Most of the brass is Starline but I can't assign a difficulty factor to headstamp. Rather, I think the gun in which the round was fired played a big role. The G40 with stock bbl probably let the cases expand more than the DW1911.

I have a run of 100 which I am taking to the range today. Will advise.
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Much improved result today! The Glock 20 and 29 with EFK bbls ran 100%. The DW 1911 was almost perfect so I deem the modifications to my reloads successful. It pains me to say that I think the Lee FCD helped a lot with this issue. It ironed out irregularities in the rounds.
Rodentman

Postby Bessy on Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 pm

I load volume for competition. It's critical for me to avoid sorting/trimming, as doing so would be cost prohibitive from a time perspective.
Here is what I have come up with for 40, which shares quite a few commonalities with 10mm.

Stage 1: EGW U-die. This die has less of a mouth flair and is slightly undersized, as a result it does a little better other dies in resizing the base of the case.
http://www.egwguns.com/smithing-tooling ... -s-w/10mm/

Stage 2: Prime/powder.

Stage 3: Hornady seater die.

Stage 4: Lee factory Crimp resized die. This die is critical, it both crimps and does a final resize of the round. Purists don't like this die because depending on case/bullet combo it can swage the bullet a little. The reality is when used with the U die, you still get plenty of case tension, and it doesn't measurably screw up accuracy. I don't have any issues with bullet walk, even my 10mm revolver.

Run every round through a chamber checker to make sure it works. My reject rate is about 1 every 200 rounds or .05% with mixed brass.

I've reloaded a around 100k of 40 with this combination, and had great success.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Rodentman on Wed May 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Bessy, thank you for your comments. I use a EGW U die for 9mm and I will order the one for 40/10. It makes sense. Yes, the FCD gets a lot of bad press but I have no issue with it. The rounds that I shot today were thru the FCD and I had far fewer issues.
Rodentman

Postby BigDog58 on Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Congrats Rodentman. I'm glad you got it worked out. Issues like that, can often be aggravating
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading