Chronograph at Oakdale

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Chronograph at Oakdale

Postby SkyRock on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am

I've got chronograph that needs "exercize." Since Oakdale Gun Club is the only place I can use it at present, it might be a problem since most of the ranges have shading about where the chronograph would sit. It's an Oehler 35P.

Anyone else us a chronograph at OGC? Any problems?
SkyRock

Re: Chronograph at Oakdale

Postby crbutler on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Mike, you might be surprised how well it works. The sky screens are designed to diffuse (ie shade) sunlight. I’ve used my 35 in shade and tested known loads with no issues (not at Oakdale) and you may be overthinking this.

If you consistently have non readings or such, that would be a sign that the light is inadequate... assuming you shot it the right spot in the first place :oops:
crbutler

Postby SkyRock on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm

crbutler wrote:Mike, you might be surprised how well it works. The sky screens are designed to diffuse (ie shade) sunlight. I’ve used my 35 in shade and tested known loads with no issues (not at Oakdale) and you may be overthinking this.

If you consistently have non readings or such, that would be a sign that the light is inadequate... assuming you shot it the right spot in the first place :oops:

Yeah, I'll have to work on that! ;) Thanks! I'll give it a try.
SkyRock

Postby wrench on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

I've used my chrono at OGC on the short range many times with no issues. Just have to place it where equal light can hit both sensors. Lesson-watch those overhead baffles ;)
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

I don't have the Oehler Chrono, but I use a Chrony with my sky shades on and it works fine at OGC. OldmanFCSA taught me a trick, if your chrono is having issues picking up the bullet. Take a black magic marker and blacken the bullet. It will help you chrono see the bullet as it passes over the sensors.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Return to Ammunition & Reloading