disposing of old corroded ammo?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

disposing of old corroded ammo?

Postby atomic41 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Does anyone here know where I can dispose of old corroded ammunition? I have a lot of it to get rid of. :?:
atomic41

Re: disposing of old corroded ammo?

Postby ttousi on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Most PD's will take it and dispose of it @ no charge
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby atomic41 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Ok thanks, I'll try that.
atomic41

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 pm

-
Last edited by gyrfalcon on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 am

I can recycle it for you.

Pull the projectiles,

Dump the powder (my lawn needs fertilizer),

De-prime the cartridge case (carefully),

Determine if brass/steel casing is worth recycling,

Let me know what you have.
OldmanFCSA

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:31 pm

ttousi wrote:Most PD's will take it and dispose of it @ no charge

Maybe metro, but not outstate!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 pm

I think OldmanFCSA has the right idea here. Otherwise, its just ammo. Got a burn barrel? Have at it, not terribly dangerous but even I might not be inclined to do it in town due to the firecracker like pops from the primer. But Independence Day is coming up, might be easy to hide a little extra noise in the neighborhood.

But I'm really curious as to how bad it actually is and if any of it can be re-used as-is or at least used for components.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Well I had some entertaining phone calls. First I called the city info office, 311. The guy on the phone was in a panic and trying to convince me to call 911. :roll: I politely told him I would call the non-emergency number and left him still freaked out.

Then I call my precinct, 3rd. The officer spends a few minutes talking to me and says they won't take it but I should call 4th because they have a range. Or I should google or something. After a few minutes I hang up.

I call 5th because it's closer. The officer says no we don't take it, can't help, don't know what you should do. But he thinks maybe 4th does something.

I call 4th. The officer says to take it to my local 3rd. I laugh and tell him they sent me to you. He laughs and says, they are supposed to take it. He says they take it and then it gets brought up here and we dispose of it or the bomb squad blows it up or something, he didn't sound too sure. So I ask him if I can just bring it in to 4th, he says no take it to 3rd. I remind him that they told me no.

So four phone calls and nothing accomplished outside of a few laughs, I get ahold of OldmanFCSA. He is taking it and feeding the birds, or garden, or the bomb squad. :D
atomic41

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm

atomic41 wrote:

Well I had some entertaining phone calls. First I called the city info office, 311. The guy on the phone was in a panic and trying to convince me to call 911. :roll: I politely told him I would call the non-emergency number and left him still freaked out.

Then I call my precinct, 3rd. The officer spends a few minutes talking to me and says they won't take it but I should call 4th because they have a range. Or I should google or something. After a few minutes I hang up.

I call 5th because it's closer. The officer says no we don't take it, can't help, don't know what you should do. But he thinks maybe 4th does something.

I call 4th. The officer says to take it to my local 3rd. I laugh and tell him they sent me to you. He laughs and says, they are supposed to take it. He says they take it and then it gets brought up here and we dispose of it or the bomb squad blows it up or something, he didn't sound too sure. So I ask him if I can just bring it in to 4th, he says no take it to 3rd. I remind him that they told me no.

So four phone calls and nothing accomplished outside of a few laughs, I get ahold of OldmanFCSA. He is taking it and feeding the birds, or garden, or the bomb squad. :D

If you are near Edina, or between Edina & Osceola, I can help and take it to OldmanFCSA's place. I'm going over there this weekend.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby atomic41 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:51 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
atomic41 wrote:

If you are near Edina, or between Edina & Osceola, I can help and take it to OldmanFCSA's place. I'm going over there this weekend.

That is a very kind offer. I'm going to try and make it over there myself. Thanks.
atomic41

Return to Ammunition & Reloading