Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

Postby Bergie on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

I'm new to reloading, so after trying to clean a bunch of brass in a standard corn cob media -and not being satisfied with the results- I decided to go with a tumbler/pin/lemi solution. But here's my question- Is a standard tumbler the best separator for the brass after it's been tumbled in the solution? Seems like it'd be kind of a mess, but maybe no more than a regular separator(?). The second part would then be- Any thoughts on a 'best' separator?
Bergie

Re: Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

Postby Scratch on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am

I use a plastic media separator that looks just like this one except blue:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/176956/rcbs-rotary-case-and-media-separator?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)&utm_content=176956&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-RCBS-_-176956&gclid=Cj0KCQjwquTbBRCSARIsADzW88wVEB_PV_VzqPc8M7a5yZJ-0z-pG7o2cb3qm2_ljgG99OT8eAF4IscaAoEaEALw_wcB

I cant remember who makes it, but it looks and works just like the one above. I do it right next to my kitchen sink. I do not do it in a bucket, but I could see if you had multiple buckets where it might work.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:54 am

Scratch wrote:I use a plastic media separator that looks just like this one except blue:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/176956/rcbs-rotary-case-and-media-separator?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)&utm_content=176956&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-RCBS-_-176956&gclid=Cj0KCQjwquTbBRCSARIsADzW88wVEB_PV_VzqPc8M7a5yZJ-0z-pG7o2cb3qm2_ljgG99OT8eAF4IscaAoEaEALw_wcB

I cant remember who makes it, but it looks and works just like the one above. I do it right next to my kitchen sink. I do not do it in a bucket, but I could see if you had multiple buckets where it might work.

I use the same one.

I originally had one that sat on a bucket with the top exposed but the RCBS version does a better job of keeping the media inside since it clamshells around the separator.
Ghost

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Scratch wrote:I use a plastic media separator that looks just like this one except blue:

I use the same one linked here ^^^^^ . It works great, and seems to capture all of the pins in the base.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby andrewP on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 am

Some people have even advocated for just wet tumbling the brass without the stainless steel pins. Apparently it gets almost as clean, just not quite so beautifully shiny, and then you don't have to deal with separating the pins afterward. I haven't been able to justify buying a different tumbler to try wet tumbling yet (don't think the vibratory type would work out very well for wet), but when/if I ever do, I'm going to give it a shot sans pins and see how it goes.
andrewP

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Have been looking at wire mesh collender that will fit just enough in a 5 gallon pale. Found a big one at bed bath and beyond but haven’t checked it out. Came up on a google search. I like using the pins so will keep looking for something.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Have been looking at wire mesh collender that will fit just enough in a 5 gallon pale. Found a big one at bed bath and beyond but haven’t checked it out. Came up on a google search. I like using the pins so will keep looking for something.

Seriously just get the RCBS mentioned above.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:05 am

Ghost wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Have been looking at wire mesh collender that will fit just enough in a 5 gallon pale. Found a big one at bed bath and beyond but haven’t checked it out. Came up on a google search. I like using the pins so will keep looking for something.

Seriously just get the RCBS mentioned above.

Yeah you really need to be able to tumble the cases enough to let the pins fall out of them.
Scratch

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 am

Bergie wrote:I'm new to reloading, so after trying to clean a bunch of brass in a standard corn cob media -and not being satisfied with the results- I decided to go with a tumbler/pin/lemi solution. But here's my question- Is a standard tumbler the best separator for the brass after it's been tumbled in the solution? Seems like it'd be kind of a mess, but maybe no more than a regular separator(?). The second part would then be- Any thoughts on a 'best' separator?

Bergie, if you are near the Edina area, you are welcome to stop by and I'll show you how the SS Pin & Wet tumbling works. You can also see how well the RCBS (or other brands) media separators work, with pins. Just PM me, and we can setup a particular day/time

andrewP: Wet tumbling without the pins will get the outsides of the cases clean. About the same as dry tumbling in Corn Cob or Walnut Shells. It will NOT, get the insides of the cases clean, nor the primer pockets.

I wet tumble mainly because it gets the entire case clean, which allows me to properly inspect the cases for defects. I'm a bit of a stickler, about properly inspecting my brass. Being an Old Aircraft Mechanic, means I still remember what my old instructor taught us. He always said "you cannot properly inspect metal, if it ain't clean". That bit of advice has stuck with me since 1976, and has never steered me wrong. I find it holds true with aircraft, and brass, before I reload it.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby andrewP on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Wet tumbling without the pins will get the outsides of the cases clean. About the same as dry tumbling in Corn Cob or Walnut Shells. It will NOT, get the insides of the cases clean, nor the primer pockets.

Depending on what your application is, that may or may not matter. Precision rifle where you're trying to get 1/4 MOA results at 1000 yards? sure, get everything sparkly. Straight-wall pistol cases for action sports? Probably not worth the extra effort. Something somewhere in between those extremes? I think it would make sense to test it both ways and see if the results vary enough to indicate a difference.

One question for those who wet tumble: how do you dispose of the lead-contaminated water? Presumably it's considered to be hazardous waste, right?
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 pm

andrewP wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Wet tumbling without the pins will get the outsides of the cases clean. About the same as dry tumbling in Corn Cob or Walnut Shells. It will NOT, get the insides of the cases clean, nor the primer pockets.

Depending on what your application is, that may or may not matter. Precision rifle where you're trying to get 1/4 MOA results at 1000 yards? sure, get everything sparkly. Straight-wall pistol cases for action sports? Probably not worth the extra effort. Something somewhere in between those extremes? I think it would make sense to test it both ways and see if the results vary enough to indicate a difference.

One question for those who wet tumble: how do you dispose of the lead-contaminated water? Presumably it's considered to be hazardous waste, right?

Same way you get rid of your lead based paints, sell them to China.
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 am

andrewP wrote:

Assuming you're using FMJ's, how much lead is actually in there? No lead should actually be touching the case ever. Only the copper jacket. I don't worry about the water, but what do I know...
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:46 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
andrewP wrote:

Same way you get rid of your lead based paints, sell them to China.

Toilet
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 am

Scratch wrote:Assuming you're using FMJ's, how much lead is actually in there? No lead should actually be touching the case ever. Only the copper jacket. I don't worry about the water, but what do I know...

There's Lead Styphnate in the priming compound.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 am

There are houses with lead in their pipes still.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading