Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

Postby andrewP on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:37 am

Scratch wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Scratch wrote:Assuming you're using FMJ's, how much lead is actually in there? No lead should actually be touching the case ever. Only the copper jacket. I don't worry about the water, but what do I know...

There's Lead Styphnate in the priming compound.

Like I said... What do I know... Not everything it seems.

Yup, primers are actually the main source of airborne lead when you're shooting, and the residue from that combustion is all over the brass. Sure would be nice if somebody would come up with a priming compound formula which was cheap, reliable, and lead-free. All I've read about lead-free primers to date suggests that after a few years in storage, they become less reliable. Between that and the fact that they're more expensive, they don't seem like a viable option yet. Hopefully someday we'll have a situation where all primers are lead-free, but until then, clothes worn when shooting go directly into the washing machine when I get home from the range, and I go directly into the shower. Hands get thoroughly washed after reloading sessions, along with any other part of me that accidentally touches anything on the loading bench; I don't want to spread that crap around my home.
andrewP

Best separator for steel-pin media after tumbling?

Postby george on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:48 pm

I rinse and separate in the tub, I put a large speaker magnetic around the drain. I use the same magnet to pickup the pins in the brass as it dries. My separators came with the tumbler. Image

When personal freedom is being abused, you have to move to limit it."
- Bill Clinton
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading