Case lube

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Case lube

Postby Rotary12 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Tried Hornady One Shot for the first time today. I'm never going back to the lube pad again.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Re: Case lube

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:25 pm

I’ve always liked one shot but then I’m a Hornady fan in general.
Ghost

Case lube

Postby Rotary12 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Much easier to wipe down too.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am

If you like the Hornady One Shot Sprat lube, you might like the home made spray lube I make, and use. I use it on all rifle cases from 30 Carbine through 50 BMG. It costs about $.50 an ounce compared to the higher priced One Shot or Dillon Spray Lube.

I use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and Lanolin Oil and mix it 12/1 ratio. Like the One Shot, just be sure to let the alcohol evaporate before resizing, to prevent a stuck case. I've talked to a few people that stuck cases using spray lube, and all of them, didn't allow the alcohol to evaporate, before trying to resize.

I like the spray lube best, because there is zero chance of getting hydraulic dents. I also spray my brass from a 45 Degree angle on all four sides (in a loading block) and it not only lubes the outside, but inside the necks as well.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:55 am

Heard good things about the home brew but a case of one shot lasts me quite a while so it’s not worth the effort.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:29 am

The best thing about One Shot is that you don’t need to clean it off.
Erud

Postby MJY65 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:31 am

I'm a big fan of One Shot after years of pad use.

I don't spray in a loading block though. I got one of those plastic shoebox size storage containers at Target to hold the brass. Spray, shake, spray, shake, let dry. 30 seconds to lube a batch of 100. Your coverage will be even with no misses down near the cartridge head where it would be covered by a block.
MJY65

Postby Scratch on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:04 am

I used to use One shot, also used the stuff in the white can with red or orange lettering (Lee or Lyman's...?) I switched to the homebrew lanolin mix and like it much better.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby usnret on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 am

I lube everything I reload with One Shot. It also won't affect primers or powder. I just throw the loaded ammo into the tumbler for a little tumble to clean it off when I'm done.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby crbutler on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:32 pm

I’m not a big fan of one shot.

I’ve had cases stick with it...so badly I had to toss the die (and .416 Rigby dies are not cheap). Hunting gun loads I use imperial. Slower, but it’s extra inspection time.

For .223 and pistol, in carbide dies I wouldn’t be against one shot if that was my only choice.

I use Dillon’s stuff, although making my own wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I will agree one shot is convenient, but given one can’t see how much is left and how variable the pressure in the can can be and how often the valve breaks, well the pump misters just are more reliable.
crbutler

Postby Erud on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:59 pm

If you get stuck cases with One Shot, you aren’t using enough. People tend to get worried about getting it inside of the cases, and then use less than they should. Spraying it inside the necks really isn’t an issue, and you don’t need to be careful about it. I’ve loaded at least 20,000 rounds that I’ve shot in competition over the last 5 years using it with no stuck cases or other issues. I spray them, let them sit for a minute, then onto the press. They get sized, primed, powder charged, bullet seated, and put into the ammo box with no steps in between. I have pretty high standards for my ammo, and One Shot makes life easy without adding extra time or unnecessary steps.
Erud

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 pm

I run Hornady one shot on my pistol brass in carbide dies and it makes resizing a breeze. On rifle brass however I run Imperial wax, much better and I've never had a case stick or even resize hard.
mmcnx2

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:03 am

Add another plus for one shot. Ran out of my first case and had to buy more. Sure wish it was still at the less than $3 a can from that case.

Slightly less than $35 close out from shop in St. Boni.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 am

At $2 an ounce (Hornady One Shot), I'll stick with my homemade lube at $.50 an ounce. 50 BMG cases use quite a bit, in addition to all the other caliber cases I also lube before sizing.

I like a manual spray bottle better as well, because I have better control and it's refillable. This year I added a small ball bearing to aid in mixing, but I'm not certain it helped, as I have not had the mixture separate, after making a batch.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 am

BigDog58 wrote:At $2 an ounce (Hornady One Shot), I'll stick with my homemade lube at $.50 an ounce. 50 BMG cases use quite a bit, in addition to all the other caliber cases I also lube before sizing.

I like a manual spray bottle better as well, because I have better control and it's refillable. This year I added a small ball bearing to aid in mixing, but I'm not certain it helped, as I have not had the mixture separate, after making a batch.

Do you have to clean it off after application?
Erud

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading