Case lube

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Case lube

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 am

Erud wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:At $2 an ounce (Hornady One Shot), I'll stick with my homemade lube at $.50 an ounce. 50 BMG cases use quite a bit, in addition to all the other caliber cases I also lube before sizing.

I like a manual spray bottle better as well, because I have better control and it's refillable. This year I added a small ball bearing to aid in mixing, but I'm not certain it helped, as I have not had the mixture separate, after making a batch.

Do you have to clean it off after application?

I have left it on, and removed it (wet tumbled) and haven't discovered any difference. The homemade is identical to the Dillon Lube, and I'd wager it's the same as the hornady. I've used the Hornady, and still have part of a can left. They feel the same, once the alcohol has evaporated from each.

I lubed and sized over 700 50 BMG Match cases, and hundreds of 30 Carbine, .308, .243, .30-06 etc, and have had zero issues with it. I mainly went to the spray lube for the advantage of being able to lube inside the neck, at the same time I lubed the outside of the case. I went to the homemade, simply because it is cheaper, and saves me money, with the amount I utilize each year. I also have the ability to custom mix it to whatever ratio I feel will do the job. I settled on a 12/1 mix, because it best meets my needs.

I'm also a cheapster and save, whenever possible. Those savings, go into buying more bullets-primers or powder..lol
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MJY65 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 am

BigDog58 wrote:At $2 an ounce (Hornady One Shot), I'll stick with my homemade lube at $.50 an ounce.

Even at $2/once, the lube has to be one of the cheapest "components" used in the process.
MJY65

Postby Erud on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 am

I may give the home brew a try at some point. If it doesn't need to be cleaned off, it may be a decent alternative. Anything that needs to be cleaned off I won't bother with, as the time is worth more than the money. It's not ever $2/oz when I buy it though, you just need to shop around a little. My last order through Midway was $165 shipped for 12 of the 14 fluid ounce cans, so that's actually less than $1/oz. I've gotten rid of all the steps in my reloading process that don't affect performance on target, and have no interest in going back to wet tumbling, trimming cases that don't need to be trimmed, etc. I shoot about 5k rounds of .308 every year, so this crap takes up a lot of time. I've got a pretty deep supply of One Shot on hand at the moment, so it will be a while.
Erud

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:22 pm

I tried Hornady case lube when I started reloading 50 BMG. Sucked. Switched to RCBS case slick spray lube. Never looked back. This stuff worked great on 50 BMG and the rest of my rifle brass. Throw the brass in the vibrator with corn cob stuff to remove lube after resizing.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10129 ... -4-oz-pump
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:04 am

usnret wrote:I lube everything I reload with One Shot. It also won't affect primers or powder. I just throw the loaded ammo into the tumbler for a little tumble to clean it off when I'm done.

O.M.G.

Tumbling live ammo, OMG !

Several years ago I was blasted for stating I did this.
Oh the breakdown of the powder.
Oh the increase of chamber pressure.
Oh the dangerous practice you promote.
Oh, you tell lies that major companies do it.

Finally it is accepted for non-natch ammo, as it should be.

Now SPRAY LUBES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Finally accepted by main stream reloading community.

ABOUT TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
usnret wrote:I lube everything I reload with One Shot. It also won't affect primers or powder. I just throw the loaded ammo into the tumbler for a little tumble to clean it off when I'm done.

O.M.G.

THANK YOU.

I’ve tumbled reloads just to make them look a bit more purdy
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:

O.M.G.

THANK YOU.

I do believe that was just one particular reloading troll blasting you... May he rest in peace. I miss his rants
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading