Inexpensive bullet source?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:06 pm

What is everyone's top go-to places for inexpensive bullets? I'm still relatively new to reloading and don't really have a good sense yet on what companies have better pricing than others. I'm pretty well set with primers, powder, and brass, so bullets are really my only focus now.

I only shoot/reload jacketed bullets - FMJ 9mm, FMJ .45 ACP, and usually like to go with some sort of JHP for .38, .357, and .44 magnum. Will get into rifle rounds pretty soon as well. Looking at quantities from 100 to 1,000 or so at a time. I can't afford to buy 10,000 at once to save that last little bit with a bulk buy, unfortunately.

I've looked at Midway and Brownell's and they seem pretty comparable in pricing if you wait for free shipping sales. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: Inexpensive bullet source?

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm

For 9mm my go to bullet is 124gr JHP from https://www.precisiondelta.com/ . If you order 2000 the price goes down to $89 per 1,000 and free shipping. They just ran a sale for the 4th where the price went down to $84.

Rocky mountain reloading has some good prices too.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:56 pm

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 pm

This is one of the best & cheapest I've found. They give great service and fast shipments

https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-category/bullets-for-reloading/

I used to almost exclusively use Xtreme Bullets (their plated bullets), but since they were bought out, their pricing isn't as good, even with their sales.

This Place Shooter's Pro Shop, frequently has good deals on Seconds and Blemished Bullets. Sign up for their email's and you'll see some excellent deals. I've bought both their Blems and their 2nd's and have had zero issues with them.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/?utm_source=Shooter%27s+Pro+Shop+Customers&utm_campaign=c9f99ed9e0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_07_12_11_07_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_244cab5802-c9f99ed9e0-130366845&mc_cid=c9f99ed9e0&mc_eid=c34ea39f9e
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby crbutler on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 pm

If you are dealing with handguns, jacketed and least expensive do not go together, and jhp’s are more money than FMJ’s.

I’d go to either plated or powder coated/cast if you are after price.

Seconds are cheaper than first run but while most are good, it’s not unusual to find things like diameter changes, inconsistent jacket thickness, etc. seconds mean they didn’t pass QC somehow. I’d use them for practice and plinking, but not serious match use or hunting.

For rifle use, it’s even more likely to be picky. Even with first runs there will be significant changes lot to lot at times.

The guys who are suggesting watching the big discounters for sales are the way to get specific product at the best price relative to what you are looking for. I tend to buy in very big lots, and even then I don’t get the prices that the big discounters offer when they have sales- but I get what I want, without the constraints of what they have on offer. I’ve gotten low volume good deals with Graf’s, Powder Valley, and Midway by watching for sales; but if you want absolute lowest prices you need to shoot cast or swaged lead for pistol.

Another source of very cheap bullets is to buy at industry trade type shows. Places like the Safari Club or DSC show generally have bullet manufacturers selling at a very good price (for hunting bullets) as does “manufacturers row” at major matches. (But getting to those in the first place more than offsets the cost savings...)
crbutler

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 pm

After finding out about Montana Gold (http://montanagoldbullet.com), I have been using them almost exclusively. I order by the case.
gun_fan111v2

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:46 pm

124 and just switched from MG to Berry's. HBRN Heavy plate with same characteristics as MG but cheaper. Usually cheaper from someone besides Berrys direct.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigBlue on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am

I'm surprised the PrecisionDelta name is even uttered around here after the monstrous debacle some years back.
BigBlue

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 am

Thanks for all the ideas, I''ll go through and make sure the links all get bookmarked. I've already look at the Montana Gold link and they seem to have great prices and what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby aprilian on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 am

for coated....Brazos Bullets (or it may be Brazos Precision) is getting good reviews for price, quality and accuracy - their bullets are winning national competitions.
http://www.brazosprecision.com/
aprilian

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:33 am

BigBlue wrote:I'm surprised the PrecisionDelta name is even uttered around here after the monstrous debacle some years back.

I wasn't involved. I've shot many thousands of their bullets, never had a problem with quality or service.
Jackpine Savage

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:04 am

Last time purchased these where the best for Berry's.

http://www.tjconevera.com/index.html
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby usnret on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Rocky mountain reloading RMR has free shipping and is way cheaper than Montana Gold and Precision Delta.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:31 pm

usnret wrote:Rocky mountain reloading RMR has free shipping and is way cheaper than Montana Gold and Precision Delta.

I just compared 124gr JHP, when you get up to the higher quantities, like 21,000, RMR is slightly cheaper. But for 2,000 for example, Precision Delta is a .2 cents cheaper per bullet. That's the only bullet I looked at so YMMV.
Jackpine Savage

Postby noylj on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 am

Two brands of great jacketed bullets are Precision Delta and Zero.
You buy Precision Delta in bulk (2000+) and Powder Valley has very good deals on Zero bullets.
My first choice is Zero, but I have never been disappointed by PD.
Plated bullets have been a waste of money and usually they cost the same as the PD bullets. Also, JHPs from these sources are the same or only very slightly more than FMJ when purchased in bulk—the only way to buy bullets.
noylj

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading