Rice instead of pins for tumbler

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 am

Just read a post on the Grendel forum that a guy used rice instead of pins and water. Pictures he posted of the brass looks great. Anyone ever try rice? Trying to get more information on the amount he used.
Bearcatrp
 
Posts: 1802 [View]
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby 870TC on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 am

I think most everything has been tried...shooters/reloaders being cheapskates. Have not tried the rice, must change the taste something awful ;) . By the way clay cat litter is a no go, been tried and discussed many times.
Last edited by 870TC on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
870TC
 
Posts: 693 [View]
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am

My bad folks. He used a vibrating tumbler with rice instead of walnut stuff. Think I’ll give it a try and see how it goes. Like my wet tumbler but would like a less time consuming procedure to clean brass.
Bearcatrp
 
Posts: 1802 [View]
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am

Add water to rice, works with SS Pins, should work with rice. :mrgreen:









Here's hoping you won't try it. :idea:
OldmanFCSA
 
Posts: 2926 [View]
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm
Location: Osceola, WI.

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:39 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Add water to rice, works with SS Pins, should work with rice. :mrgreen:









Here's hoping you won't try it. :idea:


Excellent! After you are finished dinner is ready!
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7910 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby hammAR on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:20 am

Wild rice works great cooked, wet, or dry...........
- no one can eat that crap........................ :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
User avatar
hammAR
 
Posts: 11457 [View]
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: Cultural Liaison....

Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 am

I would think rice will produce a lot of “dust” in the process. If you have to wash and dry the cases afterwards anyway...

When I started reloading I was given a couple of 5 gallon buckets of corn cob media. Still waiting for those to run out before I try anything else :)
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 826 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:01 pm

hammAR wrote:Wild rice works great cooked, wet, or dry...........
- no one can eat that crap........................ :?

I dunno, add a little cream of mushroom and some venison sausage and it ain’t half bad!
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7910 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
hammAR wrote:Wild rice works great cooked, wet, or dry...........
- no one can eat that crap........................ :?

I dunno, add a little cream of mushroom and some venison sausage and it ain’t half bad!

I can only guess that you fellas haven't had the hand parched rice right from the reservation. That stuff is like gold. The commercial crap you get in the grocery store is mostly no worth the prep time.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
User avatar
yukonjasper
 
Posts: 4632 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: eagan

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Scratch on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:45 pm

I haven't used it yet, I still use SS pins. But I trust this guy from Primal Rights and decided to try it. I bought a bag of it last year but haven't had the need to use it yet, I do all my reloading in the winter.

Here's a link to his article:
https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
User avatar
Scratch
 
Posts: 1967 [View]
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:49 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
hammAR wrote:Wild rice works great cooked, wet, or dry...........
- no one can eat that crap........................ :?

I dunno, add a little cream of mushroom and some venison sausage and it ain’t half bad!

I can only guess that you fellas haven't had the hand parched rice right from the reservation. That stuff is like gold. The commercial crap you get in the grocery store is mostly no worth the prep time.


Is the stuff from the rez commercially available? Pricey, I'm guessing.

It's a great irony that today, 'wild rice' is neither rice ( I believe it's a type of wheat) Nor is it wild.
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 7451 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Add water to rice, works with SS Pins, should work with rice. :mrgreen:









Here's hoping you won't try it. :idea:



About as well as cooking with SS pins, I'm guessing.
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 7451 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:53 pm

Just use the rice and after your done add water and heat and you're good to go for supper too.
User avatar
LarryFlew
 
Posts: 4350 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 am
Location: Young America - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Re: Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:38 pm

xd ED wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:Add water to rice, works with SS Pins, should work with rice. :mrgreen:









Here's hoping you won't try it. :idea:



About as well as cooking with SS pins, I'm guessing.


A bit crunchy but not bad with a little broccoli beef over them.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7910 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Rice instead of pins for tumbler

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Scratch wrote:I haven't used it yet, I still use SS pins. But I trust this guy from Primal Rights and decided to try it. I bought a bag of it last year but haven't had the need to use it yet, I do all my reloading in the winter.

Here's a link to his article:
https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice


Sounds like I was way off about the dust
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 826 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron