Beginning of the End for Brass Cases?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Beginning of the End for Brass Cases?

Postby andrewP on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 am

This line from the article seemed questionable to me - anybody able to attest to the accuracy of this statement? Why wouldn't you be able to adjust the internal geometry of a brass case?

With a brass cartridge case, "you can't do anything to change the interior geometry," Hogan said.
andrewP

Postby BC98 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:46 pm

andrewP wrote:This line from the article seemed questionable to me - anybody able to attest to the accuracy of this statement? Why wouldn't you be able to adjust the internal geometry of a brass case?

With a brass cartridge case, "you can't do anything to change the interior geometry," Hogan said.

To economically form brass cases, sequential stamping is pretty much the only way to manufacture brass cases. You don't have much leeway for changing internal geometry of a given chambering for bottleneck cartridges. As an example, an injection molded 300 BLK case could have one case with the max internal capacity for supersonic loads and another with an optimized internal capacity for a reduced powder subsonic load.
BC98

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 pm

BC98 wrote:
andrewP wrote:This line from the article seemed questionable to me - anybody able to attest to the accuracy of this statement? Why wouldn't you be able to adjust the internal geometry of a brass case?

To economically form brass cases, sequential stamping is pretty much the only way to manufacture brass cases. You don't have much leeway for changing internal geometry of a given chambering for bottleneck cartridges. As an example, an injection molded 300 BLK case could have one case with the max internal capacity for supersonic loads and another with an optimized internal capacity for a reduced powder subsonic load.

I just change the internal geometry with a pliers. Duh, it is called wildcatting :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading