Reduced pressure load .223

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Reduced pressure load .223

Postby purd0027 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:25 am

I mistakenly purchased Remington 6 1/2 primers, didn't see the tiny print that I shouldn't use these for .223 or other "high intensity" cartridges. . . Caveat emptor I guess.

I have an AR and also a bolt action .223.

Anyone used these primers for safe reduced loads in .223 with a 55gr FMJ bullet? I have:
H332, H355, IMR 4064, CFE 223, Shooters's World Tactical Rifle, Titegroup, Trail Boss, HP-38, H110, 2400, 300-MP, Unique

I see there is some very reduced load data on Hogdon's site for Titegroup and Trail Boss - anyone use these? I am aware this wouldn't cycle the action in the AR, so just as happy to use the bolt action since .22 is going to be in short supply (or malfunction training).

Thanks!
purd0027

Re: Reduced pressure load .223

Postby Erud on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Call Remington on the phone and ask one of their tech guys. Personally, I’d just try them. Start on the low end of normal recommended loads and look for flat primers. If you pierce primers or see any signs of something not safe, back the charge down, or stop trying. Keep an extra firing pin on hand to switch out offer you are done testing if you do pierce primers. I had to shoot 2 full seasons of Highpower competitions with CCI #400’s in 2007 & 2008 because they were all I could find in the first Obama panic. I pierced plenty (especially when it was hot and/or rainy), but aside from being annoying and not conducive to good scores, it wasn’t really a big deal. Wear proper eye protection.
Erud

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Another warning is not to use them with free floating firing pins due to possible slam fires so bolt action would be better.

Did a little looking around in rifle forums I hang in and several appear to be fine with them in bolt actions and using H335.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby purd0027 on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks All, and thanks Larry for that Primer Chart that you'd posted in the other thread. Interestingly enough I'd not been aware to avoid using CCI 400 primers in AR-15 platform - I've encountered no pierced primers to date, even with loads approaching maximum according to Hogdon load data. I'll now reconsider using that primer in the AR.

Do pierced primers have potential to cause any functional damage to parts or danger to person in either a bolt gun or AR? Or is it just cosmetic pitting/erosion of the firing pin/bolt?
purd0027

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:35 am

purd0027 wrote:Do pierced primers have potential to cause any functional damage to parts or danger to person in either a bolt gun or AR? Or is it just cosmetic pitting/erosion of the firing pin/bolt?

It's hard on your bolt face, and hard on the firing pin. Generally speaking, anytime you pierce one, the escaping gas damages the tip of the firing pin so that it isn't nice and smooth anymore. This often leads to more pierced primers as the rough, sharp pin is more likely to pierce than the smooth, round tip. Bolts and firing pins are basically disposable in AR's anyways, so not really a huge deal in that respect. When you pierce a primer in an AR, the gas that's lost out the hole in the primer will come out through the gap between the receiver and charging handle, and then go right into your eye. Not a huge deal if you're wearing proper eye protection, but obviously better to avoid it. Also, the escaping gas leaves less gas to do it's intended job of pushing the bullet out of the barrel, resulting in less pressure/velocity, and different POI on target.
Erud

Return to Ammunition & Reloading