Forster 6mm BR Full Length Resizing Die Pissing Me Off

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Forster 6mm BR Full Length Resizing Die Pissing Me Off

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:24 am

I am at my wits end with this die. It's a Forster 6 mm BR (has Rem Stamped) that should be able to resize 6 mm BR Norma, Lapua Cases.

Set Die backed off 1 1/2 turns after touching shell holder: Result, bulged the end of the neck. Looks like it is trying to make a hydraulic line that holds a B Nut.

Reset die to just touching shell holder: Crushed the neck down into the body of the case.

Switched to Neck Sizing Bump Die, No Issues.

I wanted to FL Resize and bump shoulders back .0015" but the dang die (no bushing die) is crushing cases. I disassembled the die, cleaned it, but nothing has helped.

Anyone have any ideas?

I bought this die from another from a member on another forum (Accurate Shooter) and I assume he had no issues like this? This is the first time I've used this die, and as it looks now, it may be the last. :evil: :badmood:

At $1 per case, I hate destroying cases in this manner.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Forster 6mm BR Full Length Resizing Die Pissing Me Off

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue May 12, 2020 5:47 am

My 308 version went to chit too, similar to your issues. Tried everything. Ended up buying a different resizer.
Bearcatrp

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks for the help. Forster replied to my email, and it is now cured.

Their die's expander ball has to be in line with their "vent" hole (for excess lube if over lubed) which places a portion of the expander up into the neck area of the die. This helps support the neck when resizing as well as helps keep the "runout" of the neck low, and tight toleranced.

I searched their site last night, and must have missed the link to the video that explains it. I didn't even think about them designing the die in this manner. I use a similar setup with my Hornady 50 BMG FL Resizer Die. I just didn't put the two together.

Cheers to Forster for their quick response and cure to my problem.

NOW: To deal with Lee Precision and try to get one of my lead melter pots fixed under warranty (less than 6 months old). I use it for Salt Bath Annealing They want a picture, and the receipt. Picture I can give, receipt, I have no idea where it is. It was a Christmas gift from my wife, and no receipt to be found. I have 2 melters, and both, chose to die last night.

My wife thought I was in a fight, with all my cussing and bitching after everything I tried to work on last night, turned into a real $hit-Storm :badmood:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby smurfman on Tue May 12, 2020 7:18 pm

Try contacting whomever your wife bought the pot from and see if they can get a copy of the receipt. If a credit or debit card was used, the seller should be able to back track to the original purchase using the credit card number. If your wife forgot where she bought it, the card company or bank should be able to run down the vendor.
smurfman

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:52 am

BigDog58 wrote:Their die's expander ball has to be in line with their "vent" hole (for excess lube if over lubed) which places a portion of the expander up into the neck area of the die. This helps support the neck when resizing as well as helps keep the "runout" of the neck low, and tight toleranced.

I searched their site last night, and must have missed the link to the video that explains it. I didn't even think about them designing the die in this manner. I use a similar setup with my Hornady 50 BMG FL Resizer Die. I just didn't put the two together.

This "feature" is why I bought their die for 6x45. Is it better? I dunno. Sure feels like it runs smoother than my Hornady die did though when I'm resizing fresh 223 into 6x45 though.
grimbeaver

Return to Ammunition & Reloading