.30 cal okay to use for 6.5c reloading?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: .30 cal okay to use for 6.5c reloading?

Postby MJY65 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:55 am

You seriously need to slow down and get a basic understanding of what you are trying to do. First, you were ready to return a set of dies because you were sticking cases using whatever lube you had on the garage shelf. Now you are contemplating using pulled bullets (note the sealant) of unknown origin, but known wrong caliber in a load. Details matter. You can't be substituting procedures or components willy nilly ESPECIALLY when you are brand new at this and have no clue what you are even looking for as signs of trouble.
MJY65

Postby jags on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:10 am

I miss Seismic Sam.
jags

Postby xd ED on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:48 am

jags wrote:I miss Seismic Sam.

Andd finally, asking questions about reloading on the internet is a really horseshyte way to learn about reloading. (Not to mention lazy, which is what really pisses me off. BTW...) You will get a variety of answers, and you can't tell the difference between the good ones and the bad ones, and that could cost you big time. The ONLY source for RELIABLE data is the EFFEN manual, because those people have put their asses on the line with that data, and they are legally responsible for it, and I guarantee you EVERY word in that manual was gone over by a team of lawyers. (Been there, done that with Class II medical products...) Reloading is not a casual hobby that you jump into feet first, as you can quite easily blow yourself up (and worse yet, some totally innocent person on the bench next to you) if you try to run before you can walk. Inevitably, EVERY newb who comes through here with questions that indicate that they are champing at the bit to get that 1st batch of ammo made up, and are trying to do it in as little time as possible WITHOUT sitting down and reading the whole EFFEN manual before they even go out and buy reloading stuff. If you you had seen this as many times and I have, it would make you behave the same way I do.
37 years ago there was no internet, and there was no John-Boy at Gunstop, and the only source you had for information was BOOKS. That meant you were all alone, and 100% responsible for not blowing your own ass off, and nobody was going to hold your hand and tell you it was all right, and if you had a brain in your head you learned everything you could before you tried to do any reloading at all.

Seismic Sam on 01 Aug 2009

A Thread from the G O D (Good Old Days)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:14 am

+1000000000000
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 am

Um... you could just push the millimeter button on your caliper to see if it's 6.72mm....or you could do math.

Inches x 25.4 = mm

Lets do it together: 0.308 inches x 25.4 = _____ millimeters

For everyone else, I think I know what his "cursory search" was...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wrote:The 6.5mm Creedmoor...is a centerfire rifle cartridge developed for Creedmoor Sports and introduced by Hornady in 2007.[7] It is a modification of the 6.5 Carcano and the .30 TC,[8] based on the .308 Winchester.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Taking Sam's place of scaring the newbies away from the forum isn't helping guys.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Taking Sam's place of scaring the newbies away from the forum isn't helping guys.

Sometimes a good swat upside the head is a positive thing.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Bergie, I hope you take Rip's suggestion and go over and take a lesson from OldmanFCSA. He will answer any and all of your questions in regards to reloading. Spending just one day with him, will give you more knowledge in the art of reloading, than you'll get in a year, on your own.

If you decide you want to go, send me a pm and I'll send you his contact info. You will NOT be Dissatisfied with the experience of learning from such an experienced reloader.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 am

BigDog58 wrote:Bergie, I hope you take Rip's suggestion and go over and take a lesson from OldmanFCSA. He will answer any and all of your questions in regards to reloading. Spending just one day with him, will give you more knowledge in the art of reloading, than you'll get in a year, on your own.

If you decide you want to go, send me a pm and I'll send you his contact info. You will NOT be Dissatisfied with the experience of learning from such an experienced reloader.

+1 right here. :exactly:
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 am

I'm back home after our first FCSA Sanctioned Match due to Covid-19 pandemic.

Didn't do as well as I had hoped, did shoot 1 of 2 Screamers of the Match with current World Champion shooting the other.

4th in Heavy Score
2nd in Heavy Group

2nd in Unlimited Score
3rd in Unlimited Group

3rd in 2-Gun Aggregate Placing

The ONLY embarrassment of the whole match was my loaning "The Good Doctor" my rifle for his first FCSA Match and he beat me: 1st in Unlimited Score, and 1st in Unlimited Group. It was close but he won and I'm very proud of his accomplishments.

Next Match middle of August and World at end of September.

That's my schedule - IF you want my FREE training, give me a call or a PM here.
OldmanFCSA

Postby GoodDoctor on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:48 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Bergie, I hope you take Rip's suggestion and go over and take a lesson from OldmanFCSA. He will answer any and all of your questions in regards to reloading. Spending just one day with him, will give you more knowledge in the art of reloading, than you'll get in a year, on your own.

+1 right here. :exactly:

Bergie, OldmanFCSA is THE way to go. Hand loading is an exacting exercise. I read eight reloading manuals from the leading reloading companies, then read another five books from authors that were competent enough to explain what the different steps were for and how to do them. I then went to Oldman for the actual hands-on experience and realized there was still MORE to learn. Oldman is great at working this art form. He is pleasant to be with, patient, and gentle. If you are going to be safe with hand loading and build reproducible rounds, you can't get any better experience.
GoodDoctor

Postby Bergie on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm

I never had the pleasure of 'meeting' Seismic Sam, but from reading these posts, I wish I had. I'd love to spend a night of reloading with him and walking thru this all. (And btw, I'm not offended that some guys here post stuff others might deem harsh, that's okay, I take it all in good humor.) And a suggestion I got was to re-read the manual I have, so that's what I'm doing this weekend. Lots of stuff I glanced over the first time that I'm finding important now!
And I've found that lubing with anything on the bench isn't good! Ugh. What a disaster!
Bergie

Postby linksep on Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Reloading is serious business; It doesn't take much of a screw up to make things go very badly. I will echo what others have said and urge you to go see The Wizard of Os. You can read about my experience here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=57116 Yes, we had a squib during my reloading training (which is one of the ways things can go very badly very quickly) and in my not so humble opinion, it was handled marvelously... I wasn't "mag-dumping" my first reloaded rounds, I noticed the lack of bang vs. the previous rounds, and the lack of recoil... I took my finger off the trigger and counted (to 10 or 20 or something) while keeping the muzzle pointed at the target in case of hang-fire; then I dropped the mag, racked the slide and locked it back. Anyway, that's bordering on thread hi-jacking.

You've been re-reading your manual... How many manuals do you have? Is your manual from one of the reputable powder/bullet/loading equipment companies (i.e. Lyman/Speer/Lee/etc.)? Before I went to see The Wizard of Os to load my first round, I had already read 4 reloading manuals twice-over and was able to pick out wrong or dangerous information in the self-published danger-pages that had shockingly good reviews on Amazon.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading