bulk 5.56 case prep?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: bulk 5.56 case prep?

Postby linksep on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:45 am

I'm curious why you don't skip the first 2.5 steps and start at step 3.5? Seems to me all it would take is to back the (neck) sizing die out or use a universal depriming die.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Rum River:

I didn't test for accuracy without the primer pocket work simply because I had the tools (came with the setup a friend sold me) and I kinda hate the load/test/adjust cycle. I just want to pull the trigger.

It's an AR-15 parts gun but the upper is a DPMS 24" stainless steel heavy barrel, a Luth MBA stock, and Geiselle trigger. Nothing super fancy really and I bet it is about 10 pounds overall but I really love it. I recently rezeroed it with the Sig suppressor but didn't really notice an accuracy difference with or without it, just a POI shift of a couple inches.

linksep:

I do those steps simply because I have the extra die set and 2nd loader. I don't like making adjustments once I have things dialed in, so it works pretty well with that in mind.

---
With luck next summer I'll get the Dillon trimmer but that is going to wait for now. When I do and get ready to load regular 5.56, I'll probably just get another set of dies and toolhead so I don't have to monkey with my precision setup.

I tried adding a picture of the rifle but it isn't letting me.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Here's the rifle I'm currently loading for.

Bitter Bastard
Attachments
hbar.jpg
Bitter Bastard

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading