Aguila .223 Problem

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Aguila .223 Problem

Postby MasonK on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Never shot Aguila ammo before, but Fleet Farm had boxes of 300 and I wanted to function test the pistol I just built, so I picked it up.

On my new build and my carbine that I've been shooting for 8 years, I had at a bunch of rounds where the bullet was sent back into the case during the feed cycle causing a malfunction. No damage to the guns, but annoying. I'm assuming that when the bolt picked up the round it collapsed when it hit the feed ramp since it was jammed half in/half out of the mag with the bullet not visible since it was hammered all the way back.

Anyone have that experience with this ammo? Never had a single round do that before and then I have 1 in 10 failing on two different guns.
MasonK

Re: Aguila .223 Problem

Postby crbutler on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:49 pm

I've had that happen with many brands. Winchester, Federal, Black Hills, Noveske.

About the only one I haven't seen that with is with USGI ammo.

I think it has more to do with the gun and how the magazine matches up than the ammo. If the round is hitting something solid, then it can be set back. The one rifle it happens a lot with is a cheap build that the only reason I've not sent it down the river is that it is a one-holer at 100 yards.
crbutler

Return to Ammunition & Reloading