Dull sticky brass after wet tumbling (?)

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Dull sticky brass after wet tumbling (?)

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon May 31, 2021 5:32 am

What type of Lemishine are you using? I've never used it, but have been told you need to use their Dishwasher Cleaner product.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bergie on Mon May 31, 2021 6:48 am

Bingo. More soap was the answer. I've been skimping on the Dawn. And I used hot water the third time thru and when I opened the tumbler it looked like a washing machine mid cycle.
All in all, I'm not 100% sold on this pin/tumbling cleaning process. Between the wet/drying aspect, pins sticking inside casings and flash holes, maybe needing a dehydrator, etc it seems a lot easier to vibrate with dry media.
This last batch was IMI brass which seems really dark/dirty right out of the box. Maybe I'll just keep to my LC brass.
Thanks for the help everyone,
Bergie

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon May 31, 2021 4:13 pm

I quit using the pins. Just more soap and a cap full of lemshine. Good enough for me.
Bearcatrp

Postby Dill on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:32 am

glad you figured it out, when I've had that happen, I usually find I haven't used enough citric acid or soap, or the pins are dirty. I dump in some laundry detergent of all things to help with that.
Dill

Postby Vlad on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:46 am

I do a variation where instead of dawn, I use liquid car wash with a wax component. I will find the brand that I am using. The brass does not seem to tarnish as fast either... YMMV.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby DanM on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:39 am

Vlad wrote:I do a variation where instead of dawn, I use liquid car wash with a wax component. I will find the brand that I am using. The brass does not seem to tarnish as fast either... YMMV.

Meguiar's or ArmorAll Wash & Wax?
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby 870TC on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:05 pm

if you guys want to save $$, stop buying high priced lemishine and just get bulk citric acid (the active ingredient in lemishine)-sometimes called sour salt. look online at places that sell sausage making supplies or sell stuff for making homemade soap or ebay
870TC

Postby Vlad on Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:42 am

DanM wrote:
Vlad wrote:I do a variation where instead of dawn, I use liquid car wash with a wax component. I will find the brand that I am using. The brass does not seem to tarnish as fast either... YMMV.

Tis something like that. I forgot to look when I got home last night... I recall it is blue and smells like bubble gum for some reason.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:23 am

Vlad wrote:
DanM wrote:

Tis something like that. I forgot to look when I got home last night... I recall it is blue and smells like bubble gum for some reason.

I tried it also but was not satisfied with the cleanliness achieved.
As for the wax coating, I found it did not work as desired - brass still tarnished too fast.
Just CLEAN is what works for me.
OldmanFCSA

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading