Really Quiet 22LR

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Really Quiet 22LR

Postby engnerdan on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 pm

I am looking for some very quiet 22lr sized ammo that will feed from a 22lr bolt gun magazine. I have been using Aguila Colibri with my bullet trap in my garage, and its working well and it is quiet enough to not disrupt anybody. But its impossible to find right now. Below is a list of what I know is quiet enough, anybody know of any I am missing, I can't find any of the ammo below. Regular sub-sonic ammo at 900-1000fps is too peppy. My purpose is to do positional practice with my PRS/NRL22 rifle.

Aguila Colibri
Aguila Super Colibri
CCI CB Shorts (quiet enough but do not feed, so no go)

I am also watching for
CCI Quiet 22 (#970 710 fps)
Last edited by engnerdan on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Re: Really Quiet 22LR

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 pm

I run Winchester subs in a suppressed bolt action, you can hear the trigger click.
Ghost

Postby nhluke on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:02 am

Im not sure if they are just rebranded etc but I've enjoyed using Gemtech subsonic 22 ammo. It feeds well in my semi autos and bolts (marlin 60, ruger10-22 savage mk11, 64, browning buckmark pistol). It seems fairly accurate and I've taken quite a few grouse with it.
nhluke

Postby linksep on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:00 am

CCI CB 22 Long (#38 710 fps)
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 am

You got that part number slightly wrong...

CCI Quiet 22 (#970 710 fps)

Also there is:
CCI Quiet 22 Semi-auto (#975CC 835 FPS)

linksep wrote:CCI CB 22 Long (#38 710 fps)

Those are good ones. My buddy used to shoot those from his NAA mini revolver.
grimbeaver

Postby engnerdan on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 am

Perfect except they are non-existent right now. This ammo shortage is depressing, the only pre-made ammo I need is special quiet 22lr and I can't get it. I can find all the match grade ammo I might need for the next 6 months, and I have ammo cans of high velocity (usless for long range) but I only have 300 rounds of Colibri left. I did actually find some for $10 a box last night, but I am on the fence about buying it.

-D
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby linksep on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 pm

engnerdan wrote:

Perfect except they are non-existent right now. This ammo shortage is depressing, the only pre-made ammo I need is special quiet 22lr and I can't get it. I can find all the match grade ammo I might need for the next 6 months, and I have ammo cans of high velocity (usless for long range) but I only have 300 rounds of Colibri left. I did actually find some for $10 a box last night, but I am on the fence about buying it.

-D

You asked if you were missing an option; CCI 22 Long CB (part # 38) is special quiet 22-Long you can add to the list of candidates to look for. The difference between 22L and 22LR is the length of the projectile, they share the same brass and I assume longs will probably feed in your bolt gun even though shorts don't feed.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Depressing is the correct word for many things these days.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:28 am

If you invest in a silencer, then your quiet ammunition options increase immensely, as any subsonic round will be quiet enough for your purposes. Just like planting a tree, the best time to start the paperwork was yesterday, the second best time is today.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:33 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:If you invest in a silencer, then your quiet ammunition options increase immensely, as any subsonic round will be quiet enough for your purposes. Just like planting a tree, the best time to start the paperwork was yesterday, the second best time is today.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard

Good advice. Staring one today myself.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:21 am

Buy yourself a pellet rifle. Makes no noise and there's pellets aplenty.
https://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby engnerdan on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:39 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:If you invest in a silencer, then your quiet ammunition options increase immensely, as any subsonic round will be quiet enough for your purposes. Just like planting a tree, the best time to start the paperwork was yesterday, the second best time is today.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard

The wheels are in motion to get one from Engineered Silence, but until the paperwork comes through I need a solution. I might have to look into a form 1.
engnerdan

Postby engnerdan on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:45 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Buy yourself a pellet rifle. Makes no noise and there's pellets aplenty.

Yeah I have a couple, just nothing in the same form factor and similar weight to my PRS rifles. But maybe that doesn't matter as much. I also was looking at some Remington 700 airsoft rifles. The airsoft rifles are cheaper and I could possibly practice in the backyard, I think they are legal in my city where as pellet guns are not and some of my neighbors and my wife would be less receptive to the pellet gun.

Or maybe I just get both... time to sell a couple safe queens I guess.

-Dan
engnerdan

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:20 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Buy yourself a pellet rifle. Makes no noise and there's pellets aplenty.

I have no experience with that particular brand of air rifle but in my experience air rifles are louder than a locked breach suppressed .22 with subsonic ammo.
Bitter Bastard

Postby xd ED on Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Bitter Bastard wrote:

I have no experience with that particular brand of air rifle but in my experience air rifles are louder than a locked breach suppressed .22 with subsonic ammo.

That depends on the rifle. Pneumatics, and CO2 powered airguns might be, as they 'pop' more due to the higher volume of escaping gases, but spring airs are pretty quiet.
Then there's the fact you can shoot an air pellet into a tub of putty, which will be almost dead silence compared to any bullet trap, or impact material.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading