Selling reloading supplies locally

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Selling reloading supplies locally

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:56 pm

photogpat wrote:I DO have 20+ years in hazmat shipping, with 10 years for ammo and components. It ain’t hard to ship ammo. Primers and powder are a little more complicated.

The number of people I see suggesting criminal action for shipping of ammo and components on the various forums is just...well...dumb.

As I understand HAZMAT shipping, the shipper must be trained, and certified to undertake the task for the specific materials; including all aspects of packing, and labeling.
I do not believe it is anywhere near practical for someone to do a one-off shipment of primers, or powder, given the legal requirements.
While I have never tried, I don't believe most people could find a retail shipper to ship primers or powder for them, but as I stated, I have never tried to do so.
I will appreciate any corrections to my thinking.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm

It can be done, you just have to find the right folks and then it’s just a matter of money.

Unfortunately it tends to take more than it’s worth for something one off like a jug of powder.
crbutler

Postby photogpat on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:08 pm

xd ED wrote:
photogpat wrote:I DO have 20+ years in hazmat shipping, with 10 years for ammo and components. It ain’t hard to ship ammo. Primers and powder are a little more complicated.

The number of people I see suggesting criminal action for shipping of ammo and components on the various forums is just...well...dumb.

As I understand HAZMAT shipping, the shipper must be trained, and certified to undertake the task for the specific materials; including all aspects of packing, and labeling.
I do not believe it is anywhere near practical for someone to do a one-off shipment of primers, or powder, given the legal requirements.
While I have never tried, I don't believe most people could find a retail shipper to ship primers or powder for them, but as I stated, I have never tried to do so.
I will appreciate any corrections to my thinking.

Correct. It’s not worth it for the average Joe to try shipping powder or primers.

Ammo is easy enough.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading