Shotgun reloading. Is it worth it?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Shotgun reloading. Is it worth it?

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:55 pm

I know supplies are limited. But if it wasn't, is it worth it? Am contemplating reloading 12 gauge. Been a reloader for many years, 50BMG, 338LM, 308, 40 S&W, etc.. Will a regular press work or do I need a special press? Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Re: Shotgun reloading. Is it worth it?

Postby ex-LT on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:02 pm

You need a shotshell reloading press. Probably the most popular shotgun press out there is the MEC 600 Jr. They can be had for roughly $200 at most retailers.

As for is it worth it, it depends on what you're reloading. The last time I checked, lead shot was running close to $50 for 25 lbs. Powder is going to cost you $25/lb or more, and primers will run you $35+ per 1000.

If you're loading target shells (1 to 1 1/8 oz), it's going to cost you roughly $5.75/box to load your own - assuming you already have a source for spent hulls. Compared to Federal Top Guns and Remington Gun Clubs, you're not saving much, if anything over retail prices, and you'll be losing money compared to sale prices. Compared to premium target shells (Winchester AA, Federal Gold Medal), you can save up to $4-5/box over standard retail prices.

Where the big savings come in when rolling your own are if you're loading high power (pheasant) loads, or sub-gauges (28 ga / .410).

EDIT:
I forgot to factor in the cost of the wads. That's another $7/250, or another $0.70 per box, bringing your cost up to roughly $6.50/box.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm

I found shot shells were the hardest to justify reloading for the reasons ex-lt mentions above.

Plus, I don't know how available shot and wads are, but it's a lousy time to scrounge for powder and primers.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Found someone selling hulls. Don't know what the costs are for this stuff. I would want 00 Buck and slug IF I do this. More defensive than hunting! My new bullpup toy should be here in a couple weeks. Have a descent stock of ammo but looking at the future. Just planning ahead.
Bearcatrp

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Had the higher Mec (memory sucks but thinking sizemaster) and sold everything when i quit doing trap and loading for the whole team. Shooting 10 boxes every other week and loading all hunting loads was worth it. Now, not so much.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm

DELETE = SOLD
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby crbutler on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Reloading shotgun really depends on what and why.

12 ga. Except for some of the more esoteric loads it will be cheaper to buy them.

Buckshot loads will require separate data. They are not loaded on shot weight, but rather on size of pellet and how it’s stacked.

Slugs also are loaded differently.

One thing if all you are worried about is maintaining availability and not odd loads is to get a roll crimper and you can reload without a press if you have a metallic set up- you would need a scale, a drill, and whatever components. You can find the crimper online at Ballistic products. They also sell load manuals for slug and buck. If you plan on reusing roll crimped hulls get the crimp conditioner as well. Note that this will mean you are not resizing the hull and they might well have feed issues- buying a sizer separately or a reloader with that function is needed if you want shells that will reliably cycle through a repeater. Priming/depriming can be done with a punch, dowel and mallet if you don’t have a press.

I do reload 12 target loads, but it’s more a hobby and experimenting for me. Financially buying Wally World cheapies works out better.

My hunting loads are ahead because they tend to be odd (5 1/2 shot for pheasant, as an example) or bismuth/tungsten pellets. Unusual weights of shot, sizes, and velocities are easy to make, but hard to find...

20 ga is similar to 12 in that factory is generally cheaper than you can reload, but 10, 16, 28, and .410 all can save quite a bit of money.

Buckshot is very odd for patterning, so you have to find the load the gun likes if you want optimal function, but for practice you can do OK, and really save cash (if you don’t value your time) by finding a cheap lead source and casting your own buckshot.

Ditto for slugs. Cast your own and use lead shot wads. They may not be optimal (I definitely would not want to use as bear defense) but they will go bang and you can keep them available as long as you can find powder and primers.

In the old days I would load my own buck and slugs for 3 gun as you want reduced recoil, but now those are all over marketed as LE loads. I haven’t messed with buck or slug reloading in over 20 years.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm

What’s the drill for?
Bearcatrp

Postby smurfman on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:What’s the drill for?

For roll crimping as seen currently for slugs and in the old days with a card at the end to hold in the shot.

Best guess I can come with regarding price on buckshot is about $1.75 per 5 round box. That is buying in bulk of 11 pounds of shot, 5000 primers, 8# of powder, and 5000 wads at a time. A bit over $2/box if buying in smaller quantiles. And this was at pre-Covid prices, expect higher if things settle down.

Besides buying in bulk, one can save a few dollars buying a used press. A MEC 600 Jr is pretty indestructible and a used one can be found around $100 and often a bit less if one is patient and looks around.

Add up the prices and divide out to determine how long before payback.
smurfman

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks folks for your replies. Very helpful. Since there are NO or very little supplies out there at this time, I won't be going into this anytime soon. Just looking into it for now. I looked online at 12 gauge prices, most are over $3 bucks per round. Just nuts. Someone pointed me to gun broker and I see some a little over $2 bucks a round. Still nuts. Glad I stocked up awhile back but can always have more.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 am

DELETE = SOLD
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:55 am

Don't have anything 20 gauge so will pass on that. Am stocked up on 410 so don't need that either. When you get back, we can discuss numbers. What caliber is the TC contender? Have an abundance of 308 so am good there.
Bearcatrp

Postby hard h2o on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:03 pm

I recently bought a Lee Load-All for 12 gauge. I haven't used it as of yet. My stumbling block is getting the right hulls. I need to get a supply of AA hulls. If you use the wrong hull you will not get multiple reloadings out of them thus negating a bit of whatever savings you may have.
hard h2o

Postby xd ED on Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Just curious:
Regarding the wads one sees littering the ranges, are they at all reusable?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Reusable?

Not really.

I did it once (as in one shell) for the heck of it and the load didn’t go together well and it was a very funny sounding shot- as in it probably was having all kinds of powder gas blowby from the wad, but it did put some holes in a piece of paper downrange.

They tell you not to do that for plastic wads.
crbutler

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading