Shotgun reloading. Is it worth it?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Shotgun reloading. Is it worth it?

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:22 pm

hard h2o wrote:I recently bought a Lee Load-All for 12 gauge. I haven't used it as of yet. My stumbling block is getting the right hulls. I need to get a supply of AA hulls. If you use the wrong hull you will not get multiple reloadings out of them thus negating a bit of whatever savings you may have.

If you can pick up free hulls, it’s not a downside that you don’t get multiple uses after one shot.

The only hulls I’ve had short lifespans out of are paper hulls. It’s not hard to get 3-4 loadings out of the cheap estate or Winchester shells, but you do have to find the right stack height recipe for the hull, and some don’t have a lot out there. Using the recipe for a AA hull in a fiocchi hull usually looks pretty ugly, and depending may not function well. Given hull volumes, the opposite may be rather overpressure.
crbutler

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:17 am

I reload all the gauges I shoot (12/20/28). The only one that really fiscally makes sense is 28ga. For 12ga target loads my cost is somewhere around $4.80 a box. There is the old argument that in theory your ammo is more AA quality then cheap promo loads. So cost savings vs AA is pretty good but not vs promo loads.

For 12ga I have a MEC 9000GN that can crank out 400-500 rounds an hour if you get a good pace going. For 20 and 28 I only have the MEC Sizemaster which gets me around 125 rounds an hour. The 12ga loader I got a good deal on used. I doubt I would have paid what a new one costs these days. The 20ga I only have because I picked it up new in box for $100 when Metro decided to no longer carry equipment.

For 12ga I reload Remmington Gun Club hulls. For 20 and 28 I use Winchester AA hulls.
grimbeaver

Postby hard h2o on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:02 pm

crbutler wrote:
hard h2o wrote:I recently bought a Lee Load-All for 12 gauge. I haven't used it as of yet. My stumbling block is getting the right hulls. I need to get a supply of AA hulls. If you use the wrong hull you will not get multiple reloadings out of them thus negating a bit of whatever savings you may have.

If you can pick up free hulls, it’s not a downside that you don’t get multiple uses after one shot.

The only hulls I’ve had short lifespans out of are paper hulls. It’s not hard to get 3-4 loadings out of the cheap estate or Winchester shells, but you do have to find the right stack height recipe for the hull, and some don’t have a lot out there. Using the recipe for a AA hull in a fiocchi hull usually looks pretty ugly, and depending may not function well. Given hull volumes, the opposite may be rather overpressure.

If you have a reliable source for hulls or have the time to get to a place you can pick them up that is great. If you do not want to have to replace your supply of hulls as often then I would like to go with more premium hulls.
hard h2o

Postby crbutler on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:16 pm

I’ve been reloading shotgun since I was 13, back in the early 80’s. I now load 10 (2 7/8 and 3.5), 12 (3.5, 3, and 2.75) 16, 20, 28,and .410 (but only 2.5” there- I refuse to use that on anything but clays)... I started out because dad had the equipment and I could shoot 6 or 7 times as much reloading as I could buying new shells (I don’t recall seeing the budget target loads back then). Now, I get what I want to shoot and my equipment has been long amortized. The hunting loads still save substantial money for lead and other than steel nontox shells. Target shells in 12 and 20 for someone who is not concerned about anything more than recreational target shooting are not a financial winner, especially when you add time into the equation.

The best hull was the old AA compression formed one, and even with those the numbers of reloads was limited - I got 10 out of them, but usually lost half by the time I got to the 5th loading, using factory identical loading.

Now, for hull life, I’d say the AA HS hulls are the longest lived, but the most consistent (best) is the Remington STS. Gun clubs are the same, dimensionally, but they use plated steel case heads, and I get some rust pretty easily on them.

The federal gold medal are also great, but the new “Grand” has a steel plated head also. Federal’s are not as tapered a hull internally as the Gun Club/STS or AA’s. They can be used for better hunting loads; but that’s a pretty limited usage. All that really means is that the wads are not necessarily interchangeable.

I get pretty much the same case life out of everything now, except the federal paper hulls(which if they make 3 firings, you are doing well). Most last 5 times, a few make it to 8 or so, but I’m also much pickier about throwing out hulls that don’t look that good.

I reload the cheap estate, rio, and Winchester hulls also. They last pretty much the same, but have a higher cull rate for the first few firings. Honestly, the main reason I started reloading them was to fire and forget the hulls at certain venues.

The only real exception is reloading 3.5” hulls for hunting... they usually last 3-4 firings as 3.5, then 3-4 firings as 3”, then 10 or so as 2.75” trap shells. It’s kind of fun when someone picks up a empty at a trap shoot and sees the 3 1/2 inch magnum written on it, and doesn’t note it’s only 2.75” long...

One thing that really can make a difference for hull longevity is what you put in them. Using blue dot, steel, or longshot about halves the hull’s lifespan... using clays or red dot in a low intensity loading will get you more, but my point is performance with the reloads, so I opt for less case life (meaning I shoot factory spec loads- 3 dram equivalent trap loads, 1350 FPS 1 Oz or international loads, not 2 3/4 DE target loads). A little dumpster dipping at the range will get you all the once fired hulls you need... but you might get Rios or estates instead of AA’s or STS hulls. Once you get a good load for the hull, it’s a matter of switching out the powder bushing, using the right primer, and getting the right wad column for the hull you are loading. I’d recommend that you either get a separate set up for long hulls vs standard ones unless you like messing with crimp settings, though. For target shells, once you get the crimp right (and stack height right) all the hulls will run through the same.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Since I have a pretty good stock, and have access to buying more without the price gouging prices, Think i will not get into it at this time. Thanks for all the supplies.
Bearcatrp

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:31 pm

crbutler wrote:I get pretty much the same case life out of everything now, except the federal paper hulls(which if they make 3 firings, you are doing well). Most last 5 times, a few make it to 8 or so, but I’m also much pickier about throwing out hulls that don’t look that good.

It's all about your personal standards. My friend loads gun clubs up to 10 times. They look like hell though by then. Usually it's the side splitting that gets him to toss them.
grimbeaver

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:22 pm

If you load low intensity shells, and keep using them until the crimp won’t hold shot anymore, my record was 16 times on a old AA CF hull, back in the old days. However, if you chrono the loads after 5-6 times the SD of your velocity starts getting really big... over 50. I still keep them if they look pristine, but most are junk after 5. If you can open the crimp with your fingers, that hull should go.
crbutler

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Having said all that- while it may not be money, it is very interesting, and as BP’s old “curmudgeon” used to say, until you start reloading shotshells, you don’t know anything about them.
crbutler

Postby slo squeezin on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Justifying cost these days may be difficult. Finding the supplies you need to load your own is almost as much fun as finding loaded ammo.

But if you shoot regularly ( I shoot 1100-1200 shots a season for trap ) I like to be able to shoot a load that is consistent. 1 oz, 1175fps, approximately. No need to get beat up having fun, eh? Shells may not be on sale or available when you find out you just went thru the last flat; or they don't have the shot size / speed you are looking for. And I do a season's worth of shotgun reloading in two or three days in the dead of winter when I have time to burn. If you don't shoot as much, the investment is not going to make financial sense; you pay either way.
I also have a cheap Lee loader for experiments with buckshot, slug and ball loads; I think it cost $ 50 or less at the time. Small batches rather than production runs allow me to try combinations I've heard about without major commitment in $. Like much else in our hobby, do you want or is it need ?
YMMV
slo squeezin

Postby foxx11 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:54 pm

I reload for 2 main reasons the first is I enjoy it. Second is I no longer hunt and mainly do trap and target. So I work up low recoil loads to make shooting more enjoyable.
I like shooting a couple boxes of trap and not having a sore shoulder later that day. I agree the 28 gauge and 410 bore are cheaper to reload, I also find low recoil shotgun rounds
in stores is very hard in my area. I have my 38 special rounds down to 575fps and the recoil does not hurt my wrist. On my 243 I use trail boss powder and you can shoot that rifle all day.
I realize I am a bit off topic. I would by a Mec 600 jr. press used 12 and 20 gauge are inexpensive at gun shows. 16,28, and 410 are harder to find and more expensive.
I guess in the end whether you buy or reload your ammo make no real difference as long as you keep shooting.

Stay safe!
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE
Wadena Area Amateur Radio Club
http://www.wadenaham.org/
foxx11

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading