Okay, THIS is hardcore...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Okay, THIS is hardcore...

Postby Lumpy on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:42 pm

This guy basically has an ammunition factory in his home. "At full speed I churn out 40,000 rounds a day per caliber"

https://qr.ae/pNfWKG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrg-dP6L2Y8
Lumpy

Re: Okay, THIS is hardcore...

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm

It says he is sold out and can’t get components.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 am

I suppose actually brewing your own primers and powder would fall afoul of zoning laws.
Lumpy

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:43 am

Only if you get caught..... ;)
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Well that goes without saying.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 am

Automated Dillon 1050/1100 with their primer fillers, bullet feeder, and an automated/hydraulic set up.

Not that terribly hard to get, or, really that expensive (well when the market ain't screwed up)... but while I don't have all of that (no automated set up), good luck at it keeping up that rate of production for any sizable length of time- even with hand feeding components there are stoppages for the set up drifting out of where you set it. Ya gotta continually check it... and woe be to you with an automated set up if a case goes through the case feeder upside down, or has a 9mm case stuck inside the .40, or a primer doesn't seat quite right... or your bullet feeder gets a little bit out of whack... 2-3K is about all the longer I get mine to go before I have to tear the press down, clean things, lube and recheck. Not horribly time consuming, but no way did I get even close to 10K of production in a day- and no way can he safely run the machine for 24H, which is what his claim is for (@ 1670 rounds an hour for 24 H- and my experience with the primer tube filler is it takes more than 4 minutes for it to run its course).

The dillon automated set up doesn't get you even close to true ammo manufacturing a la ATK/Winchester/hornady.

If he's making that kind of volume, and more importantly selling it, I hope he has the appropriate FFL! Uncle doesn't like folks doing that without mother may I...

Still a neat set up there, with multiple machines. Can't see too many guys getting set up to that level as a hobbyist, though. And today, good luck with getting enough components to run 1 hour, much less 24...
crbutler

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:34 am

crbutler wrote:If he's making that kind of volume, and more importantly selling it, I hope he has the appropriate FFL! Uncle doesn't like folks doing that without mother may I...

Not to mention liability insurance. One KB and he could lose everything.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:42 pm

crbutler wrote:Automated Dillon 1050/1100 with their primer fillers, bullet feeder, and an automated/hydraulic set up.

Not that terribly hard to get, or, really that expensive (well when the market ain't screwed up)... but while I don't have all of that (no automated set up), good luck at it keeping up that rate of production for any sizable length of time- even with hand feeding components there are stoppages for the set up drifting out of where you set it. Ya gotta continually check it... and woe be to you with an automated set up if a case goes through the case feeder upside down, or has a 9mm case stuck inside the .40, or a primer doesn't seat quite right... or your bullet feeder gets a little bit out of whack... 2-3K is about all the longer I get mine to go before I have to tear the press down, clean things, lube and recheck. Not horribly time consuming, but no way did I get even close to 10K of production in a day- and no way can he safely run the machine for 24H, which is what his claim is for (@ 1670 rounds an hour for 24 H- and my experience with the primer tube filler is it takes more than 4 minutes for it to run its course).

The dillon automated set up doesn't get you even close to true ammo manufacturing a la ATK/Winchester/hornady.

If he's making that kind of volume, and more importantly selling it, I hope he has the appropriate FFL! Uncle doesn't like folks doing that without mother may I...

Still a neat set up there, with multiple machines. Can't see too many guys getting set up to that level as a hobbyist, though. And today, good luck with getting enough components to run 1 hour, much less 24...

He is out of components so I think you hit that nail on the head.
Holland&Holland

Return to Ammunition & Reloading