Ammo price threshold

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Ammo price threshold

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 am

What is your current threshold for cost per round for you to order ammo in your caliber?

Do you consult AmmoSeek or similar websites to get "best at the moment " or do you have an absolute not to exceed price?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Ammo price threshold

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:33 am

Last few months I’ve been ordering from Federal. Mostly 9mm and some 45 and 10. Looked last week and it seems like they raised their prices a bit. I thought things were getting better so I am holding off on ordering any more.

Brass cased 9mm for under $500 a case feels like a buy to me these days.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Ammo price threshold

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:06 pm

I've been getting $500/1000 of re-manufactured 9mm until I ran out of components after 17,000 9mm's. Enough left for my own usage now plus the 2K I had of 124 grain Fiochi in cold storage .
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:31 pm

When you see something you know is way out of price, and know its very limited, you get it if you need it. I just paid $50 a box of 100 for Hornady 190 sub, which is usually around 30 bucks. Limit 2 boxes too. You do what you need to.
Bearcatrp

Postby smurfman on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:44 pm

yukonjasper wrote:What is your current threshold for cost per round for you to order ammo in your caliber?

Do you consult AmmoSeek or similar websites to get "best at the moment " or do you have an absolute not to exceed price?

How much I'll pay per round depends on the cartridge, the availability, and how badly I want it. I just picked up 300 rounds of 5.56 for $0.45/round. That is more than I want to pay for 55 gr FMJ but my other option was to use my reloads. Factoring in the cost of replacement components, if they can be found, and the time and effort of removing crimps the cost of new wasn't onerous. Furthermore, if I can scrounge empties afterward I won't be wasting time de crimping my own brass as everything will need to go through the process.
smurfman

Postby crbutler on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:01 am

My threshold is entirely based on need.

I’ve spent the equivalent of $300/20 in the past when on a hunting trip overseas.

I’m not going to get too upset as long as it’s on the shelf.

9mm I’d buy now at $0.20/round. I don’t need it, but for that price, I’d get what I could.

.223/5.56 I don’t know. I have a bunch of surplus ammo that I feel cost more than it should when I brought it, and have to be careful to keep it separate (ss109). I’d have to calculate what my reloading costs are going to be, which now is a big “?” and if it’s less than that, buy. For components on hand, I think it’s like $0.15/per, but those are running out.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 pm

Broad question and as stated really depends on caliber and need. Trap loads I will not go over 99.99 per flat but that is because I have kids that need them and will pay that for them though I do lose money on the tax at that rate. But I won’t shoot any at that price as I still have my stock pile that I bought between 49.99 and 53.99. When that is gone I will see where the market is.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Last few months I’ve been ordering from Federal. Mostly 9mm and some 45 and 10. Looked last week and it seems like they raised their prices a bit. I thought things were getting better so I am holding off on ordering any more.

Their prices seem way out of wack. Maybe it is the new normal but I am still finding there ammo on shelves at retail for less than you can order directly.
Holland&Holland

Ammo price threshold

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
gun_fan111v2 wrote:Last few months I’ve been ordering from Federal. Mostly 9mm and some 45 and 10. Looked last week and it seems like they raised their prices a bit. I thought things were getting better so I am holding off on ordering any more.

Their prices seem way out of wack. Maybe it is the new normal but I am still finding there ammo on shelves at retail for less than you can order directly.

I am sure Federal was in a very peculiar position over the past year - if they honored their distributors orders made at lower price they were making other companies a lot of money, cancelling those and fully cashing in is not a good business practice long term.
gun_fan111v2

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

I am sure Federal was in a very peculiar position over the past year - if they honored their distributors orders made at lower price they were making other companies a lot of money, cancelling those and fully cashing in is not a good business practice long term.

But charging higher prices to consumers is? The market has a way of driving those types of suppliers out of business.
Holland&Holland

Postby Stugotz on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I have been very fortunate in that I have kept a nice inventory of everything that I shoot (including reloading components) That were purchased 18 - 30 months ago - pre-panic prices. That said, I have curbed my range shooting habits with everything except .22LR ammo which I have a nice supply of at the present time. 8-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 4.42.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 4.42.06 PM.png (27.5 KB) Viewed 3425 times
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Ammo price threshold

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:But charging higher prices to consumers is? The market has a way of driving those types of suppliers out of business.

Consumers did not have a standing contract, market economy and all :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:24 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:But charging higher prices to consumers is? The market has a way of driving those types of suppliers out of business.

Consumers did not have a standing contract, market economy and all :)

And what goes around comes around. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:33 pm

Looking at the website, it appears Federal is charging MSRP if buying ammo direct from them. Makes perfect sense as it would be odd for the manufacturer undercut its own recommendation. This is no different than what many other companies do in many industries. It would also be protecting their distributors as the manufacturer would not be cutting out the distributors and the relationships that have been established. Lastly, Federal really doesn't want to get into selling direct to the consumer as the very small orders are not profitable enough for a company of that size due to the amount of resources needed to fulfill the order.

If you want special treatment from a manufacturer, you will pay for it. At least the mark up isn't as bad as Browning wanted to make a second set of barrels for a Citori- $2400 in 1992. I bought a new gun for $950 instead
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:26 am

smurfman wrote:Looking at the website, it appears Federal is charging MSRP if buying ammo direct from them. Makes perfect sense as it would be odd for the manufacturer undercut its own recommendation. This is no different than what many other companies do in many industries. It would also be protecting their distributors as the manufacturer would not be cutting out the distributors and the relationships that have been established. Lastly, Federal really doesn't want to get into selling direct to the consumer as the very small orders are not profitable enough for a company of that size due to the amount of resources needed to fulfill the order.

If you want special treatment from a manufacturer, you will pay for it. At least the mark up isn't as bad as Browning wanted to make a second set of barrels for a Citori- $2400 in 1992. I bought a new gun for $950 instead

???? You do know what MSRP stands for correct? They are not charging msrp from pre-pandemic times, they just set a new msrp.
Holland&Holland

Return to Ammunition & Reloading