Powder decisions

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Powder decisions

Postby crbutler on Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:26 pm

I have typically done load work up in a rather systematic fashion and it tends to use up a lot of components doing my method.

Typically, I would run 5 shot group ladder tests with .5 grain increments of powder looking for a plateau and small SD in velocity with each bullet and powder I was interested in.

That got to be a large number of shots and quite a bit of component usage.

Then I would choose the best powder from SD, velocity, and group size and shoot 3 5 shot groups to determine if it was a fluke and get a baseline. After that, I’d play with seating depth to refine groups.

While the system works, it’s rather excessively using of components, and right now I can’t replace what I use as it’s just not even findable.

How do the more accuracy minded here do their initial work up to decide which powder is one that rifle likes with whatever bullet you are using, assuming that you do have a selection of options?

I’m more looking at how to find an optimum than trying to find “acceptable”… I went through like about 500+ rounds to determine what my .416 Rigby load for Cape buffalo was- and the load ended up being 3/4 MOA, even though every combo I did with that rifle was well within hunting accuracy for that gun/game/target choice (worst was 2.5” at 100 yards), and that had the benefit of only 4 acceptable bullets- I admit I would have been money ahead just to use factory ammo and accept the 1” groups, but that’s not the point of it.
crbutler

Re: Powder decisions

Postby Stugotz on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:56 pm

I've had a chance to shoot a 416 Rigby on a few occasions. It kicks like a mule! (Shot off sticks, standing, 9.5 lb rifle, open sights.) Please tell me how you were able to repeatedly shoot this beast without dislocating your shoulder. Off a bench with a scoped rifle I would also be concerned with 'Weatherby' eye. (Been there, done that). :lol:
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby crbutler on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Off the bench on sandbags.

The Rigby isn’t that bad, and if you set it up right, it’s not a problem.

I have 2. One, a Ruger #1 was a graduation present from my dad- it’s not pleasant to shoot. He didn’t like me shooting it around him (“it looks like Mike Tyson is feeding you a straight right!”) but the hunting rifle is a Dakota 76. Weighs about 11# with scope and is less recoil than a 3.5” Turkey load from a Bennelli 12 ga.
crbutler

Postby smurfman on Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:29 pm

I'm in much the same boat with a 244 Rem as I ran out of 100 gr Core-Lots. With components being what they are I am looking for the best I can do with what I have or can currently get rather than what is the best period.

I started out looking for a bullet that will work for my purpose. Looking over literature and measuring bullets I found one that should work and one that might. I then looked at various manuals and other published data to come up with some potential powders. I looked first for those powders I had at least a couple pounds of to be sure of having enough on hand for testing and stocking up on enough loads to last a while. I then looked at powders that I have seen on the shelf recently as I saw little sense trying to find that which hasn't been seen in months or years.

My next step was to ask if others have any favorite data using my components on different boards on the Internet. I know the risks but with checking manuals and having some familiarity with the advice given by some posters, additional data may come to light. It was through some of the Internet advice that I saw similar nodes from multiple sources in various rifles so I decided to start a half grain on either side of the range. I further checked these loads as well as look for any unpublished loads with the companies producing my chosen components. Some of the techs were more knowledgeable than others and it might pay to ask if for the most knowledgeable tech for a given cartridge or call more than once in case one ended up with a less knowledgeable tech the first time. From one source, I came up with a third bullet option to try.

After doing this I ended up with three bullets and three powders to try. I could have limited it to two bullets and one powder as these were the two most recommended loads but I had the other components on hand in adequate quantities. I loaded up 3 rounds of each bullet and each powder with 1/2 gr between steps. I picked three rounds as I am hoping the node will be similar in my rifle as it was in the others. I believe three rounds per powder charge will give me enough data to show enough correlation to the others to validate a common node.

I am at this point, now I'm trying to fit in range time with the chronograph. I then plan on taking the fastest charge of each component node and load up 5 rounds for each change of seating depth. I'll take whatever comes out best as my primary load.

Through this I believe I have limited my ladder to about 1/2 of what would normally be used. It may not be the penultimate choice overall but I believe it will be the best in current circumstances. If component availability improves I might work on obtaining a more perfect load but I'm hoping I can get better than good enough now.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:16 pm

Didn’t Craig Boddington run across some poachers in Africa that where reloading their reused solids for .416s buy pulling the bullets on 2 7.62x39 rounds and dumping the powder in the case?

Worked on poached elephants.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:18 am

I don't enjoy load development, it's time consuming and always feels more like voodoo than science. When the snow melts off the shooting bench I think I'm going to try the 10 round graph. Basically load 10 rounds at increments, graph the velocity, and look for level spots on the line. Here's more:

http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/
Jackpine Savage

Return to Ammunition & Reloading