Loaded my first 50 9mm

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Loaded my first 50 9mm

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:43 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Not to bust your balls, Bambam, but you were damn lucky you didn't blow your gun up and get pieces in your face with those two deap seated rounds. Cardinal rule #1 is you NEVER, EVER shoot off rounds that you know are defective just to get the brass back. You broke Rule #1 with the first two rounds you loaded, and despite the fact that you knew they were f'ed up, you shot them anyway. REALLY, REALLY bad mistake!! What were you thinking??

It's a mistake you can get away with, but with a powder like Bullseye or a max load of Blue Dot, pressure seating the bullet all the way down on the powder could result in a big kaboom, and you were lucky you were shooting a 9mm. If you had reloaded you first 50 rounds of 40 S&W for a Glock and made that mistake, chances are you WOULD have gotten brass fragments in your face and a blown gun. Hell, if you screw up the crimp strength on a 40 S&W and the bullet seats deeper when it chambers the (unsupported) case head can blow.

Listen to Sam - Sam is wise (even though he misread your post) Let his words be a WARNING that you carry on for the rest of your days.

IF YOU LOAD SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT LOOK - OR FEEL RIGHT FOR ANY REASON - DONT SHOOT IT - CULL IT OUT

Brass and bullets are relatively inexpensive as compared to an ER visit, Disability, permanent damage to you or others, and least of all - your gun.

I have made my share of blunders - I have a can full of them that need to be pulled - I do them in batches about every couple of years.

Sometimes when you load progressive at 1000 rnds/hr you can turn out some losers about a 1% - 2% loss rate - crushed case mouths - peeled jacket materials - bad cases - seating depth issues from setup, etc....

If it looks bad - feels bad - or smells bad - it is likely bad - toss it.

I have had people over to the shop - I am loading fast ont eh 650 - something feels amiss with a round - I take it off of the line and toss it into the can - people are shocked that I would toss ammunition.

"I am not rich enough in money or luck to afford bad ammunition."
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Re: Loaded my first 50 9mm

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:01 am

Woops!! I definitely misread that!! Sorry!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading