Loaded my first 50 9mm

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Loaded my first 50 9mm

Postby BamBam on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Well, I bought a Lee anniversary kit and a set of 9mm dies, loaded 50 rounds, the first 2 I loaded I didn't realize the bullet press was screwed all the way in, so I got a couple of very hi pressure 9mm rounds if anybody wants em :shock: Out of the 48 I brought to the range 47 of them popped off flawless, I think it was the 2nd to last round that I got an FTF. very happy with the results. Looking forward to loading .38sp for the Wifes wheel gun and my .40 when I ever get it :)
BamBam

Re: Loaded my first 50 9mm

Postby jac714 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:28 pm

BamBam wrote:Well, I bought a Lee anniversary kit and a set of 9mm dies, loaded 50 rounds, the first 2 I loaded I didn't realize the bullet press was screwed all the way in, so I got a couple of very hi pressure 9mm rounds if anybody wants em :shock: Out of the 48 I brought to the range 47 of them popped off flawless, I think it was the 2nd to last round that I got an FTF. very happy with the results. Looking forward to loading .38sp for the Wifes wheel gun and my .40 when I ever get it :)

Get a bullet puller and re do them.

I have a kinetic puller that works great, during setup changes (38/357) I often have to pull bullets and re use them.

Congradulations on joining th reloading club, it is damn near as much fun as shooting.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby BamBam on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:32 pm

jac714 wrote:
BamBam wrote:Well, I bought a Lee anniversary kit and a set of 9mm dies, loaded 50 rounds, the first 2 I loaded I didn't realize the bullet press was screwed all the way in, so I got a couple of very hi pressure 9mm rounds if anybody wants em :shock: Out of the 48 I brought to the range 47 of them popped off flawless, I think it was the 2nd to last round that I got an FTF. very happy with the results. Looking forward to loading .38sp for the Wifes wheel gun and my .40 when I ever get it :)

Get a bullet puller and re do them.

I have a kinetic puller that works great, during setup changes (38/357) I often have to pull bullets and re use them.

Congradulations on joining th reloading club, it is damn near as much fun as shooting.

Yah, I had lots of fun loading, It took a while to get things figured out, as for the 2 loads, I sunk them babies in deep that only the tapered part of the bullet is exposed :shock: not sure if theres anything to brab hold of.
BamBam

Postby jac714 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:42 pm

not a problem for a kinetic.

It is basically a hollow hammer that grabs the rim of the cartridge adn as you beat the hammer on a hard surface knocks the bullet out of the case. I have had some as deep as you are talking about and got them out.

Good Luck
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby BamBam on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 pm

jac714 wrote:not a problem for a kinetic.

It is basically a hollow hammer that grabs the rim of the cartridge adn as you beat the hammer on a hard surface knocks the bullet out of the case. I have had some as deep as you are talking about and got them out.

Good Luck

Awwww, I get it, the weight of the bullet itself drive itself out ;) What do you do with the primered casing? How often do you use it? how much do they cost? sorry for all the Qs im new at this :geek:
BamBam

Postby jac714 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:44 am

BamBam wrote:
jac714 wrote:not a problem for a kinetic.

Good Luck

Awwww, I get it, the weight of the bullet itself drive itself out ;) What do you do with the primered casing? How often do you use it? how much do they cost? sorry for all the Qs im new at this :geek:

I reuse the casing, you do have to decap a live primer but if done slooooooowwwwwwllllllllyyyyyyyy I have hd no problems, or you could put the primed case in your gun and just fire the primer. I reuse the bullet and case.

I use it as needed, quite oftem on a load change as getting the OAL set takes a few tries.

Midway has them from 13 to 25 bucks. Not to expensive and you will come to need it again (and again and again) :-)

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby JFettig on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:29 am

You don't have to decap the cases, just remove the decaping pin from your die. If you have Lee dies like I think you said, you just loosen that nut on top and it should slide right out.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:29 am

That is the tool that I place at the bottom of the pile in priority when as Seismic Sam So aptly pointed out - it is likely the most important piece of safety equipment that you can have on the bench.

He is right.

There is nothing like second guessing yourself and having no way to check your own work on the fly....

Cheap insurance -

When and if you get into rifle reloading - a Collett puller does the trick a hell of a lot faster than a kinetic puller.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby BamBam on Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 am

I loaded up another 100 last night and shot them this mourning, every one of em shot perfect, no FTF,s and accuracy is better than store bought, noticed my groupings were tighter.
I spent 2 hours loading 100 rounds of 9mm, I saved approx $5, that means my labor was $2.50 an hour :geek: I had fun though, eventually I'll have to invest in a turret press.
BamBam

Postby MsT on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Me Too ! I just got back from Oakdale where I shot the first 50 9mm that I loaded. Been working up to this since last November, "collecting" equipment and supplies, and making a room to work in. What fun ! I had a couple that "stuck" and one that didn't fire, but I'll consider it "operator error" for now. I think I'll try another 50 before I make any adjustments.

I've been loading shotgun shells for several years, but this is different.
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Not to bust your balls, Bambam, but you were damn lucky you didn't blow your gun up and get pieces in your face with those two deap seated rounds. Cardinal rule #1 is you NEVER, EVER shoot off rounds that you know are defective just to get the brass back. You broke Rule #1 with the first two rounds you loaded, and despite the fact that you knew they were f'ed up, you shot them anyway. REALLY, REALLY bad mistake!! What were you thinking??

It's a mistake you can get away with, but with a powder like Bullseye or a max load of Blue Dot, pressure seating the bullet all the way down on the powder could result in a big kaboom, and you were lucky you were shooting a 9mm. If you had reloaded you first 50 rounds of 40 S&W for a Glock and made that mistake, chances are you WOULD have gotten brass fragments in your face and a blown gun. Hell, if you screw up the crimp strength on a 40 S&W and the bullet seats deeper when it chambers the (unsupported) case head can blow.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby DeanC on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 pm

He didn't shoot them. He said he only brought 48 rounds to the range.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby JoeH on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Read his post again. He DIDN'T shoot the first two.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby BamBam on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:13 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Not to bust your balls, Bambam, but you were damn lucky you didn't blow your gun up and get pieces in your face with those two deap seated rounds. Cardinal rule #1 is you NEVER, EVER shoot off rounds that you know are defective just to get the brass back. You broke Rule #1 with the first two rounds you loaded, and despite the fact that you knew they were f'ed up, you shot them anyway. REALLY, REALLY bad mistake!! What were you thinking??

It's a mistake you can get away with, but with a powder like Bullseye or a max load of Blue Dot, pressure seating the bullet all the way down on the powder could result in a big kaboom, and you were lucky you were shooting a 9mm. If you had reloaded you first 50 rounds of 40 S&W for a Glock and made that mistake, chances are you WOULD have gotten brass fragments in your face and a blown gun. Hell, if you screw up the crimp strength on a 40 S&W and the bullet seats deeper when it chambers the (unsupported) case head can blow.

Thanx for looking out, But There's no way Id fire those two rounds, If you reread my first post, those were the first two, which I did "not" bring to the range, out of the 48 that I did, I had a failure to feed on 1 of the last rounds. I reloaded another 100 and they worked flawless, I would NEVER fire a round that I knew was f'ed up. Thanx again though for youer concern , Your right, that had I shot them , I may not be here :shock:
BamBam

Postby BamBam on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:15 pm

Boy you guys are fast :P
BamBam

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading