Targets for load development

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Targets for load development

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Here's a dumb quesiton.... Is any one target better for load development than the others? Or is it strictly personal preference?

I printed out a bunch of these
20Target.pdf
(184.77 KB) Downloaded 158 times

Thinking that it would be very convenient to have a spot for load data right on the target for log entry, but My brain got to wandering, and questions were presented. I have my first loads all worked up to test out, and want to make sure I'm not wasting all the time I spent putting them together by using ******* targets.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Re: Targets for load development

Postby ex-LT on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Here's a dumb quesiton.... Is any one target better for load development than the others? Or is it strictly personal preference?

I printed out a bunch of these
20Target.pdf

Thinking that it would be very convenient to have a spot for load data right on the target for log entry, but My brain got to wandering, and questions were presented. I have my first loads all worked up to test out, and want to make sure I'm not wasting all the time I spent putting them together by using ******* targets.

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked......

That being said, having a spot for load data right on the target is definitely a good idea, but I think you would probably be better served with a single target per sheet rather than three.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

My thought pattern is that they would be seperated, and placed in a log book after being riddled with holes, to make the data easier to access.

Were you thinking for that reason, or for a different one?
Stradawhovious

Postby westberg on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:My thought pattern is that they would be seperated, and placed in a log book after being riddled with holes, to make the data easier to access.

Were you thinking for that reason, or for a different one?

Have you looked at any pre-printed load log books? Don't forget you need the pocket weather meter to record weather conditions at the location your shooting. :lol:
westberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:42 pm

westberg wrote:Have you looked at any pre-printed load log books? Don't forget you need the pocket weather meter to record weather conditions at the location your shooting. :lol:

nope, I was planning on using the log for hard copy data, and building a spread sheet for cross referencing.

Pocket weather meter eh? I'd love to buy one. Can I borrow $300?
Stradawhovious

Postby westberg on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
westberg wrote:Have you looked at any pre-printed load log books? Don't forget you need the pocket weather meter to record weather conditions at the location your shooting. :lol:

nope, I was planning on using the log for hard copy data, and building a spread sheet for cross referencing.

Pocket weather meter eh? I'd love to buy one. Can I borrow $300?

You don't need to borrow that much. Did you see the Caldwell Wind Wizard for $34.97 that we carry.
westberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Yep, and if you lend me $300, I'll buy it. :lol:

Actually, no I didn't. I will take a look and get back to you.

[Time passes]

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd I'm back. I think THIS looks much more to my liking.
Stradawhovious

Postby westberg on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Yep, and if you lend me $300, I'll buy it. :lol:

Actually, no I didn't. I will take a look and get back to you.

[Time passes]

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd I'm back. I think THIS looks much more to my liking.

I think that one would be a better choice.
westberg

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Of course you do, it's 5 times the price! :lol: :lol:
Stradawhovious

Postby hammAR on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Of course you do, it's 5 times the price! :lol: :lol:

...but you need it because it includes two ingredients that are missing from your target.....Barometric Pressure and Altitude :hmm:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Yep, that's what drew me to it over it's $35 counterpart.
Stradawhovious

Postby nyffman on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 pm

hammAR wrote:...but you need it because it includes two ingredients that are missing from your target.....Barometric Pressure and Altitude :hmm:

ok, dumb question #2. why do you need to know altitude? It seems to me that barometric preasure would have an effect, but altitude?
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey Nyffman, here is a good read for you, should clear up your question.
Stradawhovious

Postby nyffman on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks, but this quote seems to be a little ambiguous.
Though they are two different terms, barometric pressure and altitude are very closely related. As mentioned earlier, the standard pressure at sea level for "Standard Metro" is 29.53". Any change in altitude will also cause a change in pressure. The function of an altimeter is based on this principal. The actual change in pressure is about one inch of pressure per thousand feet of elevation change. The pressure decreases as elevation increases.

This can be confusing, because if you live at 2000 feet elevation and you have a household barometer, it will usually read between 29.5" and 30.5". If the pressure level dropped as it should, then the barometer should read about 2" less than that. In fact, it does. The true uncorrected barometric pressure would be 2" less at that altitude. Increasing or "correcting" the pressure level by these 2" allows local weather forecasters and others to compare a standard throughout the world. Reported pressures related to weather and aviation use the "ICAO" standard of 29.92" but the difference between this and 'Standard Metro' is not very significant. It amounts to a difference in the ballistic coefficient of less than two percent.

My previous understanding of barometric pressure, was that, while in general, pressure decreases with altitude, pressure was pressure, regardless of altitude. Or, 29.5 in. of Hg has the same effect in physics at any altitude. So, I quess I still have the question, why do you need to know the altitude, unless you don't have a barometer handy and just want some kind of ballpark number to plug into a formula.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby hammAR on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm

nyffman wrote:ok, dumb question #2. why do you need to know altitude? It seems to me that barometric preasure would have an effect, but altitude?

...not a dumb question at all.....but a defining question to differentiate between a rifleman and a shooter.....It all has to do with the study of external ballistics of which a full understanding is mandatory for long range shooting. You need to consider air temperature, pressure, altitude and humidity variations that make up the ambient air density, which affect ballistic coefficients.

Ballistic coefficients are based on sea level atmosphere. This atmosphere has a barometric pressure level of 29.53", a temperature of 59 degrees F. and the humidity is 78 percent. If any of the above components of air density are changed, down range ballistics change, requiring changes in standard calculations by using a modified ballistic coefficient for the particular bullet.

Bottom line is that barometric pressure and altitude are very closely related and both have an effect on relative air density, with the resultant change in down range ballistics, which affects your ability to hit the target at longer ranges.....with one shot.

Now I suppose that you are going to ask about the effects of Gyroscopic drift, Magnus effect, Poisson effect, and the ever popular Coriolis drift....... :hide:

also, look at and play with this after you download here: Barnes Ballistics 2.0.10 To calculate trajectory, velocity, wind deflection, striking velocity and other variables with any loads you desire. Find out how altitude, temperature, barrel length, humidity and other factors affect bullet flight.
Last edited by hammAR on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading