Hodgdon Titegroup

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Hodgdon Titegroup

Postby JFettig on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:44 pm

I just got back from the range, I put 153 rounds down the tube. It was dead calm, no wind(last time I shot some with titegroup there was wind) and I noticed nice puffs of smoke coming out the end of the barrel that 'seemed' to be much like what I get out of WWB, It turns out that it wasn't as dirty as I expected after I cleaned it. It took about half the patches that it would have taken if it was WWB still did get powder all over everything like normal but it wasn't so bad. However it did leave a lot of residue in the barrel, it just wasn't so hard to get it out.

this was 4.6gr behind a 115gr 9mm bullet.

Jon
JFettig

Postby 1911fan on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Jon, try just a hint more crimp. that seems to eleminate the smoke issue with it.
1911fan

Postby JFettig on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:15 am

1911fan wrote:Jon, try just a hint more crimp. that seems to eleminate the smoke issue with it.

Thanks, should I be able to see the crimp on the case?

Jon
JFettig

Postby 1911fan on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:01 am

The nine millimeter headspaces on the cartridge mouth, so rolling the case over like a heavy .44 mag round is going to be counter productive. But adding just a hint of crimp, so that a straight edge lined up on the case wall will just show maybe a couple thousandths of space at the mouth. I would add maybe an 1/16 of a turn down on the crimp or seater die, depending on if you have 3 piece or 4 piece die sets. It really does not take a lot of crimp to get the ignition temps up, getting rid of the smoke.
1911fan

Postby farmerj on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't like the Alliants as they are not anywhere near as clean as the Hodgdon powders. I have used the full Dot series before I switched over to Hodgdon. I use Clays in place of the Red and Green dot and have not tried anything fro the blue dot. Haven't had the time to.

I use clays for my skeet loads, 9mm and .45 loads. Never a big deal on any of them and really clean burning with low flash.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:10 pm

1911fan wrote:The nine millimeter headspaces on the cartridge mouth, so rolling the case over like a heavy .44 mag round is going to be counter productive. But adding just a hint of crimp, so that a straight edge lined up on the case wall will just show maybe a couple thousandths of space at the mouth. I would add maybe an 1/16 of a turn down on the crimp or seater die, depending on if you have 3 piece or 4 piece die sets. It really does not take a lot of crimp to get the ignition temps up, getting rid of the smoke.

This is where the LEE Factory Crimp Die comes in really handy - you cannot overcrimp.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading