question about dies

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

question about dies

Postby hdgirl1340 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I bought a set of old Hornady Durachorme Dies in 44mag/spec I bought these at the gunstop used and John said the sizing die is carbide because he showed me where it is stamped "carbide" on the side of the die. Upon further inspection when i got home it appeared the other dies didnt look like anything was pressed into them and they didnt say carbide on them. I mean the die that sets the bullet and crimps doesnt look like it's carbide at all. My question is. Do carbide die sets usually only have the sizing/decapping die in carbide and the other 2 dies are steel? I won't be using the die that bells the brass since i'm using them in a dillon 550. I'm new to all this so forgive my ignorance. thanks
hdgirl1340

Re: question about dies

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:53 pm

For Hornady dies only the sizing die is carbide. Lee makes a carbide crimp die that sizes after the bullet is seated, I have these in 9mm and 45. You should be able to see the carbide insert if you flip the die over. It just looks like a dark doughnut shape pressed into the die.
Sigfan220

Postby 1911fan on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm

and you only need the carbide for the sizing operation. steel is "sticky" to brass under pressure and you get stuck cases, Carbide is not sticky, and the cases slide in and out with no need for Lube which saves a LOT of time and mess.
1911fan

Postby hdgirl1340 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 pm

So you don't need carbide on the die that seats the bullet and crimps? am i supposed to lube anything during this operation or do i need to get a carbide crimping die?
hdgirl1340

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 pm

You only need carbide sizer die.
You should have gotten a an expander die, useless in a Dillon.
You should have gotten a combo seater/ crimp die.
The bad thing about Hornady dies is that if you got a set for 9mm or 40 or 45ACP it has a roll crimp, and this is not good unless you are shooting a revoler in those cartridges.
You would need a seperate taper crimp die.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die has a carbide insert, but that is whole different deal.
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 pm

You do not need to lube with these dies. They work with a dry case. For the lee carbide crimping die - I have mixed feelings. If I could I would buy 2 more Dillon sets. Too bad they are so much $$.

On another note - If you have a Dillon press you will not need an expander die as this is part of the powder station. With a Dillon you would only need a Sizing, seating and crimping die. I have had much better luck splitting the seating and crimping operations. That is another plus with the Dillon and Lee 4 die sets.
Sigfan220

Postby Pinnacle on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am

Sigfan220 wrote:You do not need to lube with these dies. They work with a dry case. For the lee carbide crimping die - I have mixed feelings. If I could I would buy 2 more Dillon sets. Too bad they are so much $$.

On another note - If you have a Dillon press you will not need an expander die as this is part of the powder station. With a Dillon you would only need a Sizing, seating and crimping die. I have had much better luck splitting the seating and crimping operations. That is another plus with the Dillon and Lee 4 die sets.

The Dillon Powder funnel acts as the expander - Correct.

Seat and Crimp should always be 2 operations IMHO - I always use a Lee FCD for all Pistol Ammo.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby macphisto on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 am

Pinnacle wrote:The Dillon Powder funnel acts as the expander - Correct.

I didn't realize that. Then again, I never gave it much thought. Is there a funnel for each caliber or is it something that just gets adjusted up and down?

Pinnacle wrote:Seat and Crimp should always be 2 operations IMHO - I always use a Lee FCD for all Pistol Ammo.

+1

Lee is the best value in dies; maybe even all reloading.
macphisto

Postby DeanC on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:58 am

macphisto wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:The Dillon Powder funnel acts as the expander - Correct.

Is there a funnel for each caliber or is it something that just gets adjusted up and down?

There is a little insert sleeve for each caliber.

I actually had John cobble together the parts for me so I could have a powder-through expander die for all my pistol calibers on my single stage presses. It saves a step for me.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hdgirl1340 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for all the input! i'm glad that i only need carbide in the sizing die. i was worried there for a bit! wheeewwww
when i bought my dillon 550, john from GS said he would help me set it up and he was so great! he took it outta the box, clamped it on his bench, put it all together and then went step by step with me how to do it! Now that's SERVICE you dont get these days! I brought in an old set of hornady dies for 9mm and he showed me exactly how to set them up and we made a couple bullets without the powder so he showed me how to remove primer, bell the case and seat and crimp the bullet...he's a great guy. BTW the crimp die for the hornady die i had for the 9mm was not a rolled crimp. It was the other kind. not sure what it's called? But john gave it his seal of approval. I think he said something like "ya i can accept these dies..they work for me" lol
hdgirl1340

Postby macphisto on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 am

hdgirl1340 wrote:BTW the crimp die for the hornady die i had for the 9mm was not a rolled crimp. It was the other kind. not sure what it's called?

Taper crimp. It's what you use for, I believe, all non-revolver handgun cartridges.
macphisto

Postby 1911fan on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:54 am

If john sold it to you, it's the right part. He will not sell the wrong stuff when he knows the need.
1911fan

Return to Ammunition & Reloading