Walmart Responds to Ammo Availability Concerns

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Walmart Responds to Ammo Availability Concerns

Postby David on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 am

I got this from the API mailing list:

"I just got off the phone from a conversation with Jason Wentzl, a public relations spokesman for Walmart. I described to him the situation that we were finding in Walmarts across the country, where the shelves were bare, as well as relating some of our concerns and fears about potential implications, such as the possibility that Walmart had made the decision to stop selling ammunition and that this was their way of winding down the business.

He said that Walmart is unable to stock ammunition because it's not available from the manufacturers. They take what they can get, and they send it to the stores as fast as they have it. They simply cannot get more because it's not there.

He said that the bottom line is 1) They have directed their buyers to buy ammo and to keep it stocked as best they can and 2) there is NO intention on the part of Walmart to get out of the business of selling ammunition.

He noted that Walmart has a great deal more traffic than Cabelas, et al, and that they simply have more people coming in and buying whatever they can from Walmart every day.

He sounded sincere and straightforward, and said that I could quote him."
David

Return to Ammunition & Reloading