best place to localy purchase ammo?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

best place to localy purchase ammo?

Postby meltedeyes on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:58 pm

So with my highly skilled poor planning I am going up north this weekend but have no ammo. I want to have some fun with my new XD-45, and have been requested to bring the SKS along also.

Where would you recommend I go to purchase .45 and 7.62x39 in the Minneapolis area (preferably north burbs, but willing to travel south a bit for a good deal)?

Walmart? Sportsmans warehouse? Somewhere further north? I believe we'll be heading up towards Leech Lake, but I'm not the one driving so I'm not positive.

Also what brand for plinking, Winchester white box, Wolf, whatever is available and cheap?
meltedeyes

Re: best place to localy purchase ammo?

Postby rucker on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:04 pm

I have shot a about 1100 rounds of WWB through my XD 45 without a single problem. Last time I purchased some, before the supposed September price increases, it was $29/100 at Walmart and $32/100 at Cabelas.

I know a lot of people use Wolf without issue and it may be cheaper but I haven't checked. I've never bought it because I wanted to be able to use the brass for reloading.

Sorry, don't know anything about 7.62x39 prices.
rucker

Postby Aceq2jot on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Sportsmans guidee may be worth the time as they have wolf $49.97 for 500 rounds and 45 is going for $16.97 for a box of 50 for winchester or American for $12.97 for a fifty count.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby tt3 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Walmart has cheap ammo... Its where I get my target rounds anyway.
tt3

Postby attack5 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey there.... first post here.

Anyway, this is a big issue with me as well...meaning cheap target ammo. I have been buying and using lots and lots of WWB from Walmart in my XD40 and have not had a single malfunction. It is a little dirty but if you clean your weapon on a regular basis it is not a big deal. I recently started using CCI Blaser Brass and it has been awesome. Wal-mart in MN sells it for $9.97 in .40 for a 50 rd box. I really like it, it doesn't cause malfunctions, it burns clean and it is the cheapest that walmart sells. The only downside, is that barely any walmart stocks more than 4-5 boxes of it at any one time.

If anyone knows of a walmart in state that stocks an ass load of blaser brass in .40, please help me out.

I know, you were looking for info on .45 but my commments are the same for .45, try the blaser brass, every wallyworld I have been to has it, you will not be disappointed.
attack5

Postby meltedeyes on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:43 pm

attack5 wrote:Hey there.... first post here.

Anyway, this is a big issue with me as well...meaning cheap target ammo. I have been buying and using lots and lots of WWB from Walmart in my XD40 and have not had a single malfunction. It is a little dirty but if you clean your weapon on a regular basis it is not a big deal. I recently started using CCI Blaser Brass and it has been awesome. Wal-mart in MN sells it for $9.97 in .40 for a 50 rd box. I really like it, it doesn't cause malfunctions, it burns clean and it is the cheapest that walmart sells. The only downside, is that barely any walmart stocks more than 4-5 boxes of it at any one time.

If anyone knows of a walmart in state that stocks an ass load of blaser brass in .40, please help me out.

I know, you were looking for info on .45 but my commments are the same for .45, try the blaser brass, every wallyworld I have been to has it, you will not be disappointed.

Cool, thanks. And glad I could be the victi- I mean happy posting!
meltedeyes

Postby tt3 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:08 am

I'm glad you're not looking for the .40 in Coon Rapids, I try and grab them at wally world when ever I'm there. Me, stockpile? Nooooo....
:lol:
If you can't find the 7.62 here, how far north are you going? Check out Shooters Supply in Superior, Wi if you get that far north.
tt3

Postby meltedeyes on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 am

Hey tt3, you want to not stop by the Northtown or Riverdale Wally world tomorrow? I know there's going to be a couple .40's and I'd like to bring my own ammo if I can :)
meltedeyes

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 am

Start saving your brass............even if you do not reload, yet! You might be able to turn some coin to help offset your costs.......

For defensive ammo:
Streichers in Plymouth hands down!

for the commie
call mark at Oak Grove Arms 16525 Highway 65 NE Andover, MN 55304(763) 434-2677

For plinking handgun ammo:
Wally World especially if you can find 45ACP blazer brass for 12 bucks a 50.
Dicks is worth it when they have sales
Fleet Farm for alum cased Blazer.....

You do not want American ammo .....bad deal!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby tt3 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:07 am

meltedeyes wrote:Hey tt3, you want to not stop by the Northtown or Riverdale Wally world tomorrow? I know there's going to be a couple .40's and I'd like to bring my own ammo if I can :)

Yeah, no problem. I'm going today. :lol:
tt3

Postby fatboy97 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm

tt3 wrote:Walmart has cheap ammo... Its where I get my target rounds anyway.

I second this!!! At least until I start reloading my own.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby attack5 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:19 pm

I do have a certain Wallyworld where I always find an employee working in the sporting goods section and they always have lots of WWB and BB in .40. Not too mention my buddy I went to Iraq with, works for wal-mart so he gets me the 10% discount on top of that.

Boo-yah!!

note: right after I got home in August, I went to the wally at St. Anthony, OMFG did I almost lose it. It took 40 minutes for them to open the ammo case, not to mention finding a guy that was elgible of selling me the ammo. Good thing I bought them out of WWB.
attack5

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am

attack5 wrote:
note: right after I got home in August, I went to the wally at St. Anthony, OMFG did I almost lose it. It took 40 minutes for them to open the ammo case, not to mention finding a guy that was elgible of selling me the ammo. Good thing I bought them out of WWB.

St. Anthony, huh? The one off of silver lake road and 37th? Crap. I was going to go there on my lunch break. I'll still give them a shot but I don't have 40 minutes to wait for assistance.
meltedeyes

Postby attack5 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, I normally don't go to that one but I was in the area so I just stopped by. I assume they are stocked back up by now.

have a great weekend!
attack5

Postby meltedeyes on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:57 pm

I had just identified what I wanted to purchase when I was asked if I needed help and someone was called. Just a couple minutes later a guy showed up and I got 10 boxes of .45 Blazer Brass, a 100rnd WWB .40, and a box of .22. Didn't get any 7.62 as I was already spending too much on pistol ammo.

And it all happened in about 30 minutes including drive time. I was impressed.
meltedeyes

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading