Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock n Load AP

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock n Load AP

Postby JFettig on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:38 pm

I picked up some Titegroup, it did meter much better. I loaded up some of each and took them to the range today. I started out with the Titegroup loads, they all cycled without a hitch. I used 4.1-4.3gr for 9mm 115gr hollow point.

The rounds that I loaded up with blue dot weren't hot enough to cycle reliably. I used 7gr of blue dot(little more variation in the drop than I'd like)

The recommended starting load for Titegroup was 4gr and max 4.5 in my lyman book and 6.8-7.6gr of blue dot.

By Thursday I'll have the pistol powder metering insert as well as some more bullets and the expander for my powder measure. I will be able to use my powder checker die and pound out a bunch of ammo for next time.

The one thing I didn't like about Titegroup is that it is possible to double charge 4 gr (total of 8) into a 9mm case. It is pretty full and would compress the powder probably enough to feel that its compressing it. Its also nice that the powder won't spill from the near full case as its making its way around.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:54 pm

I am shocked that you had trouble with Blue Dot in 9mm but when I learn that you are using only 7 grains of it - I see the problem.

That is almost the PERFECT powder for 9mm - I think that the load that you were using was a little consrevative to say the least. (The perfect powder for 9mm is really Power Pistol)

I used to load 8.2gr in a 124gr FMJ load without any problems and great velocity and very clean - no pressure signs either.

Try to bump that load a bit to meet the recommended load in the Allinat guidebook of 8 grains with a 115.

Blue dot likes to be near the top of the scale. It is a "magnum" powder I suppose and one of the best as far as I am concerned for the 9mm cartridge.

http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Pistols%20and%20Revolvers&gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=1014&bulletid=22

Another good choice for the 9mm is Alliant Power Pistol - actually it is really ideal for the 9mm and I hazard to say even moreso than Blue dot (I hate to admit Blue Dot's weaknesses) . Notice something here? I only use Alliant Powder (Ford vs Chevy argument I suppose) It is what I know and what I have had the best luck with - so I stay there.

Another thing that makes me wonder - are you seating and crimping in the same step? If so and you have an additional available station I would recommend installing a LEE factory carbide Crimp Die - it seems to even out start pressures and makes for a cleaner burning powder charge and as far as I am concerned better ammunition. Some say that is like guilding the lilly - but I say - if you have an additional station on your machine and can spare $12 - get the freaking thing and install it - if it will run throught he die - it WILL feed in your gun providing the OAL is good.

I run ALL of my carry ammunition through the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die - it is still an astounding invention at twice the price IMHO
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby goalie on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:13 am

With 115s out of a 9mm, PowerPistol works great. It does result in a tad bit more flash that some powders, but I've shot thousands of 9mm loaded with PP with no problems whatsoever.

It also meters well in my Dillon.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby JFettig on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Pinnacle, you know what they say, start out in the middle or lower end of the book, at least thats what I've been told. The lyman 48th says to start at 6.8 and max at 7.6, your using 8 which is above that. This is my first time reloading for pistol so I really have a lot to learn.

One thing I noticed with Blue dot is that it seems to stick to surfaces, pretty much any metal surface it will stick to and I think that contributed to my drops not being even. Part of it was also that there was a little oil on some of the parts in my powder measure that I didn't get cleaned good enough.

I was originally planning on getting power pistol, but the extra flash kind of bothered me, I'm not too worried about it for regular plinking, but if I eventually wanted to roll my own carry ammo, I wouldn't want ammo that flashes too much that I loose night vision.

I'll load up some blue dot a little hotter for next time. probably 7.8-8gr. I was just a little too uneasy to start that hot especially because my gun is bran new and I'm new to loading pistol.
When loading these rounds up, I measured every one by taring the scale on the empty case and new primer than dropping the powder and then checking it, I let a few slide by at 7.4 range and I could definitely feel them compared to the rounds running at 7gr.

I am using the FCD from Lee, I was considering getting rid of it so I could use the ejector on my press. I'm only giving it a 1/2 turn crimp (turn the nob 1/2 turn after it touches the mouth of the case). How critical is the crimp on pistol ammo?
Also how critical is the bullet seating depth and whats the best way to determine the best length?

I should be receiving my pistol metering insert for my powder drop any time now. I'll try out both powders with that and report back and let you know how they drop with that one.

Thanks,
Jon
JFettig

Postby goalie on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:18 pm

JFettig wrote:Also how critical is the bullet seating depth and whats the best way to determine the best length?

Case overall length can be VERY critical. Certain high-pressure rounds are not very tolorant of bullets seated too deep. The pressure spike can be rather severe for a relatively tiny difference in seating depth. .40 comes to mind.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:26 pm

JFettig wrote:Pinnacle, you know what they say, start out in the middle or lower end of the book, at least thats what I've been told. The lyman 48th says to start at 6.8 and max at 7.6, your using 8 which is above that. This is my first time reloading for pistol so I really have a lot to learn.

One thing I noticed with Blue dot is that it seems to stick to surfaces, pretty much any metal surface it will stick to and I think that contributed to my drops not being even. Part of it was also that there was a little oil on some of the parts in my powder measure that I didn't get cleaned good enough.

I was originally planning on getting power pistol, but the extra flash kind of bothered me, I'm not too worried about it for regular plinking, but if I eventually wanted to roll my own carry ammo, I wouldn't want ammo that flashes too much that I loose night vision.

I'll load up some blue dot a little hotter for next time. probably 7.8-8gr. I was just a little too uneasy to start that hot especially because my gun is bran new and I'm new to loading pistol.
When loading these rounds up, I measured every one by taring the scale on the empty case and new primer than dropping the powder and then checking it, I let a few slide by at 7.4 range and I could definitely feel them compared to the rounds running at 7gr.

I am using the FCD from Lee, I was considering getting rid of it so I could use the ejector on my press. I'm only giving it a 1/2 turn crimp (turn the nob 1/2 turn after it touches the mouth of the case). How critical is the crimp on pistol ammo?
Also how critical is the bullet seating depth and whats the best way to determine the best length?

I should be receiving my pistol metering insert for my powder drop any time now. I'll try out both powders with that and report back and let you know how they drop with that one.

Thanks,
Jon

Flake does stick to stuff like mad.

Here is what I would tell anyone - go as long an Overall length as your Magazine will allow and that will eject loaded rounds from the gun reliably.

As goalie said the OAL is pretty critical with small capacity - high pressure loadings - 9mm - 40 immediately are obvious.

If you are having trouble with powder sticking to the measure - you should take it apart and clean it completely with rubbing alcohol or something like that which would not be that aggressive to plastics to make absolutely sure that there is no grease in the measure or drop tube.

Sometimes the case mouths can build up some grease or tar from reloading (tar is used as a sealant on a lot of commercial loads) that will build up and cause a plug over time or gum something up - be sure to clean that off once in a while.

You are absolutely right - sneak up on the max load. The Alliant loadbook (which can hardly fail you) calls for 8gr of Blue dot with a 115gr bullet. I would try some at 7.8 and then 8 gr and see where you are at. 7.8 may be the magic number - 8 will be the absolute gurantee in my book.

A good crimp is important for consistency in my book. the LEE FCD erases a lot of sins - if it will go through the die - it will feed in your gun unless something catastrophic happens like a caved case mouth. remember that on the 650 there is a station for it and it works like a champ. On other presses it may not be as convienient - but I think that it is a cool product that serves a purpose.

All of my ammo gets the LEE FC even rifle ammunition.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading