Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock n Load AP

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock n Load AP

Postby rucker on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:43 pm

I am just about ready to buy a press and can't decide what to get. I have read a lot of reviews saying that the Lock n Load is pretty good, but at the same time everyone loves Dillon. If I go with the Lock n Load to save some money am I going to regret it?

btw, I am going to start just reloading .45ACP but will hopefully be throwing a rifle caliber in there eventually.
rucker

Re: Dillon 550 vs Hornady Lock n Load AP

Postby jac714 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Never used the hornady but have done about 7000 rounds of mixed .45, .38, 9mm and 5.56 since January without a problem on my 550.

The Dillon is a well tested and proven press, it is a safe bet.

Good luck
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby pastorpaul on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:00 pm

was at the sportsman's warehouse in coon rapids about 2 weeks ago talking with the 2 guys there who are the resident "experts" about reloading. i was asking the same questions you are asking and some others as well. after spending about 30 minutes with me, they convinced me the hornady L&L was a very good and easier to set up and keep functioning machine. they were impressed with it and said it would be their recommendation to me. i plan on using it mostly for .40 and .223, calibers i intend on shooting the most in the future. the other calibers i shoot, esp. the rifle cals. would be done on my rcbs jr. unfortunately, i can't afford to buy one for at least 2-3 months, but i shall, esp. when sportsman's warehouse has their sale. right now i need to buy some more .40 lasercast bullets, small rifle primers and alot of bulk .223 bullets. btw, the guys at sw sid the dillon was a very good machine as well. what swayed me toward the hornady was: $30 dollars cheaper and 1000 free bullets from hornady, an $80 to $100 offer. i can't remember when the free bullet offer expires though.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby rucker on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:43 am

pastorpaul wrote:was at the sportsman's warehouse in coon rapids about 2 weeks ago talking with the 2 guys there who are the resident "experts" about reloading. i was asking the same questions you are asking and some others as well. after spending about 30 minutes with me, they convinced me the hornady L&L was a very good and easier to set up and keep functioning machine. they were impressed with it and said it would be their recommendation to me. i plan on using it mostly for .40 and .223, calibers i intend on shooting the most in the future. the other calibers i shoot, esp. the rifle cals. would be done on my rcbs jr. unfortunately, i can't afford to buy one for at least 2-3 months, but i shall, esp. when sportsman's warehouse has their sale. right now i need to buy some more .40 lasercast bullets, small rifle primers and alot of bulk .223 bullets. btw, the guys at sw sid the dillon was a very good machine as well. what swayed me toward the hornady was: $30 dollars cheaper and 1000 free bullets from hornady, an $80 to $100 offer. i can't remember when the free bullet offer expires though.

That's good to hear. I have also been reading a lot of stuff that would suggest that the Hornady is a fine piece of equipment that is often just overlooked because of the wild popularity of Dillon. I would rather just jump on the Dillon bandwagon because I have never heard of anyone being disappointed but I am on a shoestring budget :shock:
rucker

Postby gunnerbmg on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:33 am

My 2 cents worth....I have two Dillon 550's and have had no problems with them. I have loaded 1000's of .45, 9mm, and 38 cal and have been well pleased. I load 223 for Prairie Dog shooting and those rounds shoot 1/2 MOA. I just started loading .308 and they are also shooting well. I do resize the rifle rounds on my single stage press first. I can then clean the brass of lube before I load them. I have to say I have never used the Hornady so that leaves me in the dark as to how judge it. I will say 6 of my buddies (one is a gunsmith,he has two 550's) would never trade those Dillons. I got mine in Ebay and made good buys and they came with a bunch of extras. Good luck getting into a fun hobby and let me know how the Hornady works if you go that way.
"arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden times" Winston Churchill
gunnerbmg

Postby DeanC on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:18 pm

I don't use that kind of press, but it seems to me that the Dillon requires you to use only Dillon dies and the Hornady will take any dies. The Dillon dies only work with the Dillon machine.

I could be wrong on the above, but, as a counter to that argument, if you do the math, over a lifetime of reloading, the dies are probably the cheapest item you will use on a per round basis.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Just for a point of reference, I have had 4 Hornady’s 366 Auto™ Shotshell Reloading Press' for a number of years. When I was in full competition I was loading 8-10,000 rounds for each 12, 20, 28, and 410. After 3 years, I had a problem with one of the heads, they sent me a replacement at no cost, and asked that I return the faulty component. Upon review they found a fault in the part, sent me a letter of apology, as well as a gift certificate for $100. They stand behind their product, as I know Dillon does too.

I have never owned a Dillon, but I sure would recommend a Hornady any day................IMESHO

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby plblark on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:03 pm

DeanC wrote:[...]it seems to me that the Dillon requires you to use only Dillon dies and the Hornady will take any dies. The Dillon dies only work with the Dillon machine. [...]

I believe it's just the Square Deal B press for which that's true. I was under the impression that the %%0 and others used interchangeable dies. I don't own a Dillon but am interested in learning all I can.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby pastorpaul on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:14 pm

dean - the lock n load can use any standard dies from all the manufcturers. it is the dillon square deal b that can only use dillon dies.

more info:
just got back from sportsman's warehouse in coon rapids again. spent another 40 minutes talking to the salesman. some things i learned:
the hornady has far fewer moving parts, especially on the powder dispenser and the primer feed.
the lock and load bushing system is pretty sweet, but not that much of an advantage in saving time, esp. if you have locking rings on your dies (like rcbs).
operation of the lever seems more smooth on the hornady, again not a big deal.
the dillon has a much wider and stronger reputation and following by far, mostly since the locknload ap has only been out about a year or so.
the hornady has a fail safe protection on the powder dispenser. it will not drop powder unless a case is in position to receive it. the dispenser also has a slightly larger capacity.
from the salesman - it is easier to adjust and empty the powder dispenser. he also claims it is easier and faster to change over to a different caliber.
the free bullet offer expires 12/31/07.
the hornady is $380; the dillon is $340. one must also buy a shell plate for the hornady for another $27. midwayusa has the hornady selling for $350 with about $15 added for shipping.

[color=#FF0000]sportsman's warehouse has a sale this weekend only[color=#000000] apply for their credit card and you get 10% off all your purchases this weekend. that makes a real good buy for either the dillon or the hornady. considering shipping costs for midwayusa, even with sales tax in mn, the prices at sw are about $1 cheaper.

i don't know which way to go. i really can't afford either right now. i do have a chance to load a bunch of .40 with a member on his dillon real soon. it will be good to hear his experiences and comments. i think i'll talk it over with ali (my wife) and maybe go buy the press at sw with the 10% off and just not use it until i'm convinced. that way i can take advantage of the sale and also be able to take it back if i decide so.
my apologies for being long winded.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby DeanC on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:20 pm

I thought there was something proprietary about the Dillon 550 too. IDK. :?

Oh, and Sportsman's Whorehouse runs that deal several times a year, so don't freak out and buy something you can't afford right now.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby plblark on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Pastor Paul,

Contact Jerry at the Carry Depot. He sells Dillon and has some prices and discounts you may like.
He's new to reloading though so even though he can get it for you, he's not a guru.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby pastorpaul on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:54 pm

dean - thanx for that revealing info. they gave me the impression this was a one time shot. by the term you cal sw, i am guessing you have a negative opinion towards sw. care to elaborate and share? my experiences have been favorable.

plblark - excellent idea. i shall go back to tcc and take a link to carry depot.
j in J - pp

pastorpaul

Postby DeanC on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 pm

I call it the whorehouse because I always leave broke, unsatisfied, and keep going back for more. :lol:
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:58 pm

plblark wrote:Pastor Paul,

Contact Jerry at the Carry Depot. He sells Dillon and has some prices and discounts you may like.
He's new to reloading though so even though he can get it for you, he's not a guru.

Question is: Have you contacted Jerry and invited him here....... :o

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby plblark on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:12 pm

I can only say "Yes, I have" because I thought to after seeing your reply.

:oops:
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading