I finally bought a press...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

I finally bought a press...

Postby rucker on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:52 pm

I finally decided that all I really want is to kick out mass amounts of pistol ammunition. I don't have a rifle to reload for and if I did buy one in the future I am kind of interested in fiddling with reloading on a single stage press. So, the perfect machine for me was the Dillon Square Deal B I thought.

I went down to Gunstop for the third time in three weeks to finally buy the thing. I told John what I wanted and it was out of stock :(

So, instead, I got an RL550B :D :D :D :D
rucker

Re: I finally bought a press...

Postby macphisto on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:55 pm

That's awesome! When can I come over to use your new press? :)
macphisto

Postby rucker on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:57 pm

macphisto wrote:That's awesome! When can I come over to use your new press? :)

Well, I currently don't have anything to put it on :( I am going to try mounting it on some cheapo tool stand thing I have just to see how stable, or unstable, it is. I don't have a scale, powder, or primers yet so I won't actually be doing any reloading just yet :(
rucker

Postby JFettig on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:19 pm

Congrats! What calibers are you reloading for?

Theres not that much of a need for a single stage when reloading rifle calibers, the only reason I would want one is to do some abnormal operations such as case forming or swaging primer pockets.

I currently use my Hornady LNL AP for .223 and love it, I size all my brass prior to actually loading them, its really not the progressive way to do it but I like to make excessively accurate consistent ammo for that.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:36 pm

The 550 was the right choice! Beats the Square Deal B, because you have the ability to manually index, caliber versatility, and more importantly you have the best CS in the world between Dillon and Johnboy you can not go wrong!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby farmerj on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 am

I use a friends 550 for 9mm, 45ACP and other handguns.

We use a rock Chucker for the rifle stuff.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby fatboy97 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:33 pm

For the first time I used a friends Dillon 550 just a week ago - very nice. That same day I stopped by the GunStop and talked to John. He recommends the 550.

Right now I'm looking for a workbench, and will be buying the 550 before the end of the year. I'm considering a bench I saw at Sam's Club and another from Sears. I could not find anything at Menard's or at Home Depot, but I've heard Menard's has some - I did not see any, so I may need to recheck.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby JFettig on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm curious, does anyone know what John from gunstop has to say about the LNL AP?

Jon
JFettig

Postby rucker on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:56 pm

fatboy97 wrote:Right now I'm looking for a workbench, and will be buying the 550 before the end of the year. I'm considering a bench I saw at Sam's Club and another from Sears. I could not find anything at Menard's or at Home Depot, but I've heard Menard's has some - I did not see any, so I may need to recheck.

I think I am going to build a bench. There are these things called 2x4 Basics where it is the plastic legs and parts and then you just bolt in your lumber. Website here: http://www.2x4basics.com/

I found the ShelfLinks locally but I can't find the WorkBench legs. I am going to go check out a few more menards tonight to see if they have them. I want to build something similar to the picture below. It would be nice to have one that fits just right in the goofy place I am putting it :)
Attachments
25.jpg
rucker

Postby farmerj on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Should be able to find the bench legs at Menard's, That's where I got mine.

What I have lernt with reloadin benches.

Use hardwoods. Not particle board. If you use plywood, use 3/4" or 1" board.

If you think you are building it too heavy, it might be just right.

The more you crank out stuff, your bench will loosen up.

Build it solid and build it to last.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby fatboy97 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:06 pm

rucker wrote:
fatboy97 wrote:Right now I'm looking for a workbench, and will be buying the 550 before the end of the year. I'm considering a bench I saw at Sam's Club and another from Sears. I could not find anything at Menard's or at Home Depot, but I've heard Menard's has some - I did not see any, so I may need to recheck.

I think I am going to build a bench. There are these things called 2x4 Basics where it is the plastic legs and parts and then you just bolt in your lumber. Website here: http://www.2x4basics.com/

I found the ShelfLinks locally but I can't find the WorkBench legs. I am going to go check out a few more menards tonight to see if they have them. I want to build something similar to the picture below. It would be nice to have one that fits just right in the goofy place I am putting it :)

I like the idea of this setup, but if I was to build this I would be spending even more money just to make it. I have no wood working equipment, not even an old saw.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:46 pm

I am not speaking for Johnboy, but you have to understand that Hornady does not have the best customer service rep in the reloading equipment biz. So, I am pretty sure that is why the store is mainly stocked with Dillon stuff! Just like there are no Lee progressive presses there either! But, rest assured there is not a more knowledgeable person in the upper midwest then John Walton when it comes to reloading! BAR NONE!

Sometimes you just have to drink the blue kool aid! If you want to know call him up!

JFettig wrote:I'm curious, does anyone know what John from gunstop has to say about the LNL AP?

Jon
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby JFettig on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:I am not speaking for Johnboy, but you have to understand that Hornady does not have the best customer service rep in the reloading equipment biz. So, I am pretty sure that is why the store is mainly stocked with Dillon stuff! Just like there are no Lee progressive presses there either! But, rest assured there is not a more knowledgeable person in the upper midwest then John Walton when it comes to reloading! BAR NONE!

Sometimes you just have to drink the blue kool aid! If you want to know call him up!

JFettig wrote:I'm curious, does anyone know what John from gunstop has to say about the LNL AP?

Jon

I'm only curious, my LNL is doing great at over 1500 rounds so far.

Jon
JFettig

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm only curious, my LNL is doing great at over 1500 rounds so far.

Jon

You already pointed out some difficulties.......Come back when you have in the tens of thousands of rounds pumped out..1500 that is just a walk in the park! Just remember the Blue Kool Aid! It rules! Some drink the red, but overall you will never do better then Dillon!
Sorry that is fact...............
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby jac714 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm

My dillon is at about 14,000 rounds since January with no problems to speak of.

Drink the blue, it is the best, also possibly the most expensive as well.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Return to Ammunition & Reloading