What Press Do you Recommend

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

What Press Do you Recommend

Postby BamBam on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:14 pm

I just recently bought a Lee anniversary press, its a single stage low end press, works fine, Im reloading 9mm, .40 and .38sp. It take me about 2 hours to load 100 rounds. The Wife and I shoot about 300 to 500 a week. I just don't have that much time to load. we end up buying factory ammo. What Press do you loading Guru's recommend? Im looking for something that can pump out 400 an hour? thanx for you help :D
BamBam

Re: What Press Do you Recommend

Postby fatboy97 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 pm

I saw this on youtube.com and after reloading 200 rounds fairly slowly (learning how session) on a friend's Dillon 550B I will be buying one by the end of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZuaihzGiSU

If you are interested in the Dillon check out the author's other videos. He has 4 part that shows how to setup the Dillon 550B.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby JFettig on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:20 pm

One of the reasons I didn't go with a 550b is that I wanted 5 stations and auto index. I think as a starter, not having auto index would be very helpful, I'm sure theres other good reasons for not having auto index. I like it though.

Jon
JFettig

Postby R.E.T. on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Go to Brian Enos.com for a description of the differences between a Dillon 550 and Dillon 650.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby joelr on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:16 am

My favorite press is Freedomofthe .
joelr

Postby hammAR on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:14 am

joelr wrote:My favorite press is Freedomofthe .

Wine press is good also................... ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:54 pm

The best thing the OP can do is go see John at the Gunstop. He has Dillon stuff set up there. Hands on experience is much better then reading! People will say that they know, ie if they think Lee is the be all end all, Hornady, etc....In the end thought when it comes time for turning out ammo Dillon presses have no peers! Ideally the the 550 is the most versatile of the Dillon line up! Lee and Hornady do not have the be best CS reputations...
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby BamBam on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Thanx, guys, Ive decided to go with the Dillon 550 , Im gonna go see Jon at gunstop tomorrow. any idea on how much this is going set me back? I want to get new Dillon dies also.
BamBam

Postby JoeH on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:27 pm

I recently had John give me a cost estimate for necessary equipment to get started with a 550 reloading two calibers (.45 ACP & .40 S&W).

With tax I think it was about $650. I'm sorry but I can't remember what all of the items on the list were. It'll give you a ballpark.

PS. This does not include cartridge components, just reloading equipment.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby rucker on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm

BamBam wrote:Thanx, guys, Ive decided to go with the Dillon 550 , Im gonna go see Jon at gunstop tomorrow. any idea on how much this is going set me back? I want to get new Dillon dies also.

Dillon 550 with one caliber is $400 at Gunstop. Just found out this weekend :)

All the "other" stuff is what really adds up :lol:
rucker

Postby fatboy97 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:43 pm

rucker wrote:Dillon 550 with one caliber is $400 at Gunstop. Just found out this weekend :)

All the "other" stuff is what really adds up :lol:

And all that "other" stuff is what you need if you are going to reload... case cleaner, caliper, scale, flip tray, and then there are always those fun things like bullet puller, bullet tray and maybe a strong mount.

Jon at gunstop gave me a $550 out the door to get the 550 with 9mm dies and everything I need to get started.
fatboy97

Postby cobb on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:05 pm

BamBam wrote:Thanx, guys, Ive decided to go with the Dillon 550 , Im gonna go see Jon at gunstop tomorrow. any idea on how much this is going set me back? I want to get new Dillon dies also.

I got a Dillon 550 years ago from my wife as a Christmas present and have been very satisfied with it. My brother, in his normal approach, researched everything and almost got a 650, but weighing the pro's and con's, went with the 550 and has been very happy with it.

How much is it going to set you back, not as much as those nuts that buy a $20K bass boat to catch fish that they don't even eat. :roll:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby BamBam on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Well I went to see John, Very cool guy, He semi set up the press for me. I got tool heads and powder dies for 3 Cals. Im using the Lee dies that I already have. 300 rounds in 2 cals. so far.
Still need to set up the 9mm yet. :)
Anybody want to buy a Lee single stage? :D
BamBam

Postby BlackEagl on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 pm

BamBam wrote:Anybody want to buy a Lee single stage? :D

How about you keep the lee, and give me the dillon? :)
BlackEagl

Postby fatboy97 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:48 pm

BamBam wrote:Well I went to see John, Very cool guy, He semi set up the press for me. I got tool heads and powder dies for 3 Cals. Im using the Lee dies that I already have. 300 rounds in 2 cals. so far.

It doesn't really take long to make a couple hundred rounds does it? I'm still don't have the money to buy mine yet, but I started buying a few of the other things I will need... Bullet puller, a good reload book, plus I'm saving all of my brass and any other brass I can get my hands on.
fatboy97

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading