Blue Dot powder and 357 Magnum

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Blue Dot powder and 357 Magnum

Postby Veldy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 am

Pinnacle wrote:There are a lot of options out there other than BD for 357 - heck there are even better choices. I firmly believe that when you want to make a magnum load use MAGNUM Powders specifically designed for that purpose.

Follow the books - use 296 or H110 and HEED THE WARNINGS ABOUT MAGNUM PISTOL POWDERS and you will be fine.

I do too. But, I have a lot of Bluedot and about as much 2400 and I would rather do "357mag" practice with Bluedot if I could. If the notice is just based on an overzealous lawyer [and the lack of specifics in regard to batch number suggests that is the case], then I would prefer to use Bluedot as I have indicated.

I don't use 296 or H110 because they call for magnum primers and I prefer to stick to small pistol primers (who wants yet another primer to have to try and obtain) ... I am still waiting for my early April order for primers to be filled ... out into August already! I still believe the reason that primers and loaded ammunition is still hard to find is solely political in nature [probably industry reaction to legislative threats].
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby MrVvrroomm on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 am

Veldy wrote:It's a wonder if it really a warning as I challenge you to find the notice on Alliant's website. I certainly have been unable to do so. Just references to copies that others have made. Apparently Alliant no longer feels it necessary to post the information and the certainly don't break it down by batch number or date. I still think it is a case of the ATK lawyer being more cautious than the Herco lawyer ;-)

Dude, you suck at the internet. :lol:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... tices.aspx
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 am

I recommend loading some 38+P data loads for practice- similar feel - similar results and safe in any MODERN 38 labeled or recommended for +P use. There are a lot of powders out there that you can do that with and I think that BD is one of them - BUT I would have to check the books.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby Veldy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 am

Pinnacle wrote:I recommend loading some 38+P data loads for practice- similar feel - similar results and safe in any MODERN 38 labeled or recommended for +P use. There are a lot of powders out there that you can do that with and I think that BD is one of them - BUT I would have to check the books.

Yes, that is what I did last night, although I didn't load +P, but rather more middle of the road 38 spec. Oddly, I fire more accurately with 357 than I do with 38 special, which is part of the reason I want some practice with them, but I don't want to use up all my 2400 powder in doing so when I have plenty of Bluedot [which says right on the carton it is intended for use with magnum loads .... what a crock apparently].
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 am

Sorry about the lecture Veldy, but you caught me at a bad time, and FWIW, the pressure spike is always at the beginning of the ignition where the volume is at absolute minimum and the bullet has not started to move yet. Not only do you have to overcome the inertia of the bullet, but you also have to force it into the lands and drive it down the barrel. Do this some time with a bullet and a wooden dowel in your gun, and you will find you have to hammer it pretty good to get it all the way through the barrel. Now visualize that powder burning (with the rate increasing expotentially because the bullet isn't moving!!) to the point that it can finally get the bullet sliding down those lands. Once the bullet starts to accelerate the pressure drops off very quickly, and with a revolver the cylinder gap will also dump the pressure somewhat.

I think Aliant should be strung up by their balls for publishing that letter without telling you either lots or why they said that. JFC, the 357 has only been around since 1935, and I have been loading Blue Dot for over 30 years. So just WHEN did you figure this all out, you dumb Alliant EFFERS???

More to the point, some of the latest reloading manuals do list Blue Dot for .357 Mag, and they do NOT list the Alliant disclaimer, so obviously their data says it's safe. In light of this problem, I think the best and safest thing would be say "EFF YOU" to Alliant by not buying their Blue Dot more for political than handloading reasons, and with the 357 Mag there are plenty of other powders to choose from.

And I absolutely cannot guess why they would DQ Blue Dot from these calibers unless it had to do with flashover on reduced loads, and that's something that manuals do warn about routinely, so what's the big deal?? My guess is the warning was due to an increased anal pressure caused by terminal constipation with either an Alliant lawer or QA manager.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Veldy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Sorry about the lecture Veldy, but you caught me at a bad time, and FWIW, the pressure spike is always at the beginning of the ignition where the volume is at absolute minimum and the bullet has not started to move yet. Not only do you have to overcome the inertia of the bullet, but you also have to force it into the lands and drive it down the barrel. Do this some time with a bullet and a wooden dowel in your gun, and you will find you have to hammer it pretty good to get it all the way through the barrel. Now visualize that powder burning (with the rate increasing expotentially because the bullet isn't moving!!) to the point that it can finally get the bullet sliding down those lands. Once the bullet starts to accelerate the pressure drops off very quickly, and with a revolver the cylinder gap will also dump the pressure somewhat.

I think Aliant should be strung up by their balls for publishing that letter without telling you either lots or why they said that. JFC, the 357 has only been around since 1935, and I have been loading Blue Dot for over 30 years. So just WHEN did you figure this all out, you dumb Alliant EFFERS???

More to the point, some of the latest reloading manuals do list Blue Dot for .357 Mag, and they do NOT list the Alliant disclaimer, so obviously their data says it's safe. In light of this problem, I think the best and safest thing would be say "EFF YOU" to Alliant by not buying their Blue Dot more for political than handloading reasons, and with the 357 Mag there are plenty of other powders to choose from.

And I absolutely cannot guess why they would DQ Blue Dot from these calibers unless it had to do with flashover on reduced loads, and that's something that manuals do warn about routinely, so what's the big deal?? My guess is the warning was due to an increased anal pressure caused by terminal constipation with either an Alliant lawer or QA manager.

No problem. And I agree entirely with your theory on the source of the letter :-) It always gets me in trouble to bring up my education, but I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, so I tend to understand this stuff innately ;-) Yes, Alliant did mess up, and apparently continues to by having removed the warning ... so is there a warning or not? Anyway, I will not be buying any more Bluedot. For that fact, the only powder that they sell that I do like is 2400 and that is because it is a nice magnum powder that doesn't require me to get magnum primers ... I just don't shoot enough 357 magnum to buy thousands of these guys. Maybe if I start loading for rifles some time ... I might consider Red Dot or the like.

Thanks for all the information though ... it is always good to see it posted.
Veldy

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Veldy, you must have missed this from above.

MrVvrroomm wrote:
Veldy wrote:It's a wonder if it really a warning as I challenge you to find the notice on Alliant's website. I certainly have been unable to do so. Just references to copies that others have made. Apparently Alliant no longer feels it necessary to post the information and the certainly don't break it down by batch number or date. I still think it is a case of the ATK lawyer being more cautious than the Herco lawyer ;-)

Dude, you suck at the internet. :lol:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... tices.aspx
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby DeanC on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm

There was also this from almost exactly a year ago: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4027
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading