Blazer 40cal sighting @ 30+ boxes

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Blazer 40cal sighting @ 30+ boxes

Postby Veldy on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:31 pm

I just stopped in the Fleet Farm in Blaine and they had at least 30 boxes of Blazer 40 caliber ammo. I didn't get the price and it was NOT cased in brass.

Oddly, this was the ONLY ammo they had in stock behind the counter, bar none!

I hope this can be useful to somebody.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Re: Blazer 40cal sighting @ 30+ boxes

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:05 pm

The fleetfarm in Brooklyn Park had 40Cal CCI Blaser Bass on Saturday, similar quantities. They had the Remington bulk pack 22LR as well.
Sigfan220

Postby Veldy on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Blazer isn't the best of ammo anyway. It is relatively cheap, even if you buy brass. The problem I have is they are not consistent from lot to lot with how they crimp the bullet. I have found in a few cases an enormous amount of key holing. I was working with an instructor last January and I asked to bring my own hand loaded ammo. He said sure, but that he doesn't generally recommend it because people seem to have over confidence in what they load. Anyway, I have plenty of confidence in what I load, but I hadn't tested it at 20F, so I decided to buy a box of 45ACP Blazer with Brass. Keyholes worse than anything I have ever loaded even when learning just what I was supposed to do. It was incredible. He came over to tease me about it, but when I showed him that I was shooting Blazer, he was mortified that they put that kind of crap and then I proceeded to tease him about the Ultramax he brought as backup for those that didn't bring what they should have [which is a nice thing to do!]. IMHO, Blazer is a last resort for target shooting ammo (never tried Wolf), but the brass reloads nicely, so I don't hesitate to buy it if I see it.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Veldy wrote:Blazer isn't the best of ammo anyway. It is relatively cheap, even if you buy brass. The problem I have is they are not consistent from lot to lot with how they crimp the bullet. I have found in a few cases an enormous amount of key holing. I was working with an instructor last January and I asked to bring my own hand loaded ammo. He said sure, but that he doesn't generally recommend it because people seem to have over confidence in what they load. Anyway, I have plenty of confidence in what I load, but I hadn't tested it at 20F, so I decided to buy a box of 45ACP Blazer with Brass. Keyholes worse than anything I have ever loaded even when learning just what I was supposed to do. It was incredible. He came over to tease me about it, but when I showed him that I was shooting Blazer, he was mortified that they put that kind of crap and then I proceeded to tease him about the Ultramax he brought as backup for those that didn't bring what they should have [which is a nice thing to do!]. IMHO, Blazer is a last resort for target shooting ammo (never tried Wolf), but the brass reloads nicely, so I don't hesitate to buy it if I see it.

I agree Blazer is of lower quality. But wonder how a variation in bullet crimp would cause a bullet to keyhole?? CCI may use slightly longer bullets than other brands which would not stabilize in all barrels. I would think most of the blame could be put on the barrel not the crimp.
Sigfan220

Postby Veldy on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am

Sigfan220 wrote:
Veldy wrote:Blazer isn't the best of ammo anyway. It is relatively cheap, even if you buy brass. The problem I have is they are not consistent from lot to lot with how they crimp the bullet. I have found in a few cases an enormous amount of key holing. I was working with an instructor last January and I asked to bring my own hand loaded ammo. He said sure, but that he doesn't generally recommend it because people seem to have over confidence in what they load. Anyway, I have plenty of confidence in what I load, but I hadn't tested it at 20F, so I decided to buy a box of 45ACP Blazer with Brass. Keyholes worse than anything I have ever loaded even when learning just what I was supposed to do. It was incredible. He came over to tease me about it, but when I showed him that I was shooting Blazer, he was mortified that they put that kind of crap and then I proceeded to tease him about the Ultramax he brought as backup for those that didn't bring what they should have [which is a nice thing to do!]. IMHO, Blazer is a last resort for target shooting ammo (never tried Wolf), but the brass reloads nicely, so I don't hesitate to buy it if I see it.

I agree Blazer is of lower quality. But wonder how a variation in bullet crimp would cause a bullet to keyhole?? CCI may use slightly longer bullets than other brands which would not stabilize in all barrels. I would think most of the blame could be put on the barrel not the crimp.

If over crimped, perhaps the bullet was damaged just slightly and that caused the keyhole; I believe that was the explanation given in a few reloading manuals I have read. I think that is the most common cause when over crimping home loads (I am not talking lead here). I have never had the problem with American Eagle or Winchester WB, which is what I typically try to buy if I buy any ammo at all [which is very rare].
Veldy

Return to Ammunition & Reloading