Anybody else going for grouse this weekend?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Anybody else going for grouse this weekend?

Postby BWinger on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm planning on hitting one of the WMAs out in Isanti on Saturday. Bringin the family up to stay at the grandparents in Cambridge tomorrow night and will be headed out the next morning. I put the improved cylinder choke in and oiled her up. Everything should be all packed to go except for the leather gloves I can't seem to find! Oh well, shouldn't be that cold anyhow. Here's hoping I get to at least shoot at something this year!
BWinger

Re: Anybody else going for grouse this weekend?

Postby VikesFan1 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Here, here! Hope the ground cover is a little less dense than last year. The temp was an inclimate 85 a year ago where I'm headed and there hadn't been any cold spells at all leading up to it. Mother nature sure is weird. Anyway, got most me gear piled up in the garage, and taking a quick break before tying up some loose ends. Thanks for reminder about the choke! Nothing like a little tinkering with the business end to get my mind right. Good luck to us!
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby bensdad on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Opening weekend in MN is for ground swatters and wishful thinkers. I've been both of those in the past. Now I wait for some leaves to fall and some grass to go brown.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby BWinger on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 pm

bensdad wrote:Opening weekend in MN is for ground swatters and wishful thinkers. I've been both of those in the past. Now I wait for some leaves to fall and some grass to go brown.

I'd be guilty of the wishful thinking part I'm sure. I still don't quite know what I'm doing, but I sure am excited! I'll enjoy the walking even if I can't bag anything. In all honesty, I'd be happy just to flush a few. But since I might be dreaming anyhow, I'm hoping to fill my limit of 5.
BWinger

Postby bensdad on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm hoping to fill my limit of 5.

I've been hunting grouse since 1984. I was nuts about it up until a few years ago (went up most weekends, read books, checked crops for diet, logged flushes, etc.). I can count the legitimate 5-bird days on my fingers. Your possession limit is 10.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby BWinger on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:42 am

Well, don't let my "new to hunting" excitement get you down! :D
BWinger

Postby JoeH on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 am

I miss grouse hunting. Hopefully I can get to it late this season. I coach football in the fall and have games every weekend.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Pezhead on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 am

Won't be going this weekend we have a wedding.
Pezhead

Postby Pat on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:42 am

I usually wait for the first killing frost. Keeps the mosquitoes at bay and opens up the woods a bit.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby smurfman on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:59 pm

I'll be going up to the cabin Monday morning after work. I hope to get an hour or so in in the late morning before going out and sitting over the bait pit looking for another bear. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings will be my main hunts with sharptails first thing and then ruffs once the dew burns off. Afternoon will again be on the stand unless I fill my remaining tag. 5 bird days have not been uncommon in decent years but then I did have some pretty good dogs. I used to try for 15-18 bird days as I hunted along the MN/WI border. 5 ruffs in MN followed by 5 ruffs in WI and whatever combo of woodcock that added up to 5 between the two states. I could do that once or twice a season if I kept my head down on the stock. One got to 18 by adding 3 MN sharptails which were much more common and widespread at one time. I did that a couple of times but it was a long, long day. My current two dogs try hard but handling grouse has not kicked in very well and likely won't.
smurfman

Postby nyffman on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:59 pm

I went out in WI on Saturday. Mostly to check out a new dog to see if she's going to be a hunter. I think she has potential, but birds were scarce. Didn't hear much shooting around the area either. Lot's of deer and bear sign though. Guess I'll try again next weekend.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Flushed 2 while building deer stands. Should have brought the scatter gun along I guess...
Holland&Holland

Postby nyffman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 am

Kinda the same story here. I took her for a walk along an ATV trail on Friday where we flushed 2 birds. Nothing on Saturday when we could actually shoot. And, we covered a lot of ground.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am

2 on Saturday, 2 yesterday. It was a successful weekend in my book. :D For each one I bagged there were two I didn't have a decent shot at.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:17 am

Flushed two and shot one on Saturday. Cooked the breast in wild rice soup and it was delicious.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Next

Return to Hunting