A forum bird hunt ?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: A forum bird hunt ?

Postby tazdevil on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 am

Maybe we should go to a trap range first and just become more familiar with each other and shooting safely in large group etc? Or is that something to not be worried about with this group? (I know not to muzzle point at someone and be very aware of direction gun is pointing). Particularly with determining each "shooters zone" as I remember it being called in hunting safety.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby mrShinola on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I havn't hunted pheasant in 10 years but grew up in Nebraska and have walked cornfields with my Dad for 30 years. Since he is gone I kind of lost interest but it would be fun to go again. Count me in.
"Keep your booger hook off of the bang-bang switch"
mrShinola

Postby cobb on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:20 am

tazdevil wrote:Maybe we should go to a trap range first and just become more familiar ...........

That would be a good idea, even fun if a forum bird hunt never happened. And for many of us, a little practice with a firearm on the range never hurt anyone.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby mnglocker on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:41 am

cobb wrote:
tazdevil wrote:Maybe we should go to a trap range first and just become more familiar ...........

That would be a good idea, even fun if a forum bird hunt never happened. And for many of us, a little practice with a firearm on the range never hurt anyone.

Depends on who's holding the target. :lol:
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 am

Try this:

Ingredients:

4-6 pheasant breasts
thinly sliced ham
shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 10.5oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
flour
salt & pepper to taste

Take your deboned breasts and put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and with a mallet pound them out till they are nice and thin no more than 1/2" (I like to try and get closer to 1/4" if I can).

Take the one of the flattened breasts and place a slice or two of ham and then a layer of the cheese leaving a space around the edges so you can tuck it in to seal it up. Roll them up as well as you can doing your best to close up the edges and secure with a toothpick or two. Repeat on the remaining breasts.

Once all the breasts are filled and rolled up lightly coat them in the lightly seasoned flour. Preheat a pan and with about 1 tbl spoon of olive oil and place breasts into pan to sear. Sear each breast quickly on all sides and then turn the heat to low. Add cream of mushroom soup and place lid on pan. Let cook for about an hour or so.

I like to serve this with wild rice and a nice Pinot.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:54 am

I like the idea, but my dog is not proven and, as has been said, you have to know and trust the guys you hunt with.

No offense, but I've been on a couple of hunts where people have been peppered with shot, muzzle swept a ton, multiple hens hit, had shots fired within feet of dogs, wild pot shots taken when birds were out of range, general Tom Foolery and all because the group was too large - too many inexperienced humters and it turned into a Charlie Foxtrot in a hurry. On one occassion the Father of a friend of mine, whose land we were hunting, walked straight out of the field, hopped into his truck and left mad as a hornet because he had enough and didn't feel safe - I felt the same way. It screwed it up for the rest of us because we weren't invited back. I've learned my lesson and never did another of those types of ad hoc group hunts again.

I do like the idea of getting together with some people to shoot a little trap or sporting clays. You get to know people and whether they are a safe hunter or not and then you can consider whether you want to hunt with them.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 am

Here's another one:

2 Pheasant breasts - Cubed
1 Box wild & long-grain rice
1 package of onion soup mix
1 can chicken broth (14 OZ)
1 small can of cream of chicken soup

Mix all ingredients, except the pheasant in a 2-quart casserole dish.

Put the pheasant on the top and bake (covered) for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 am

Just because:

This can be from a wild or domesticated hog. Take a piece of bacon, I prefer thick sliced bacon, and dredge in egg wash and then dip in flour and seasoning mixture just like you would fried chicken or chicken fried steak and then either deep or pan fry it till it is crispy and the coating is crispy. I never thought bacon could get any better until I tried this.

How can you go wrong - its bacon.........
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby tazdevil on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Ok, so, how about this saturday at Wild Marsh Sporting Clays? Great setup, several courses for sporting clays, 5stand trap and skeet available. Nice setup, not horribly pricey, but is NW of cities (near Becker).
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Duck season opens on Saturday.

If it fles it dies if it's brown it's down. It is that time of the year gentlemen.

I'll have my personal "no fly zone" set up near Morris MN with the new pooch fresh from the trainer.

Let me know how the outing goes.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby promod1385 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 am

grousemaster wrote:
Snowgun wrote:
promod1385 wrote:I would be interested.

I would also invite yall to SD! Thats where the real pheasant slaying gets done!

Is there any Non-preserve/gamefarm land down there anymore? ;)

It's an "industry" in SD. I don't go there anymore.....

Yes its called "tourism". So you also have a personal boycott on fishing in MN? I mean its an "industry" here too ya know...

But beings how I was raised in SD I am not a tourist, i prefer the term defector.
promod1385

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:00 am

promod1385 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:
Snowgun wrote:Is there any Non-preserve/gamefarm land down there anymore? ;)

It's an "industry" in SD. I don't go there anymore.....

Yes its called "tourism". So you also have a personal boycott on fishing in MN? I mean its an "industry" here too ya know...

But beings how I was raised in SD I am not a tourist, i prefer the term defector.

I think what rankles is that it used to be a state where a boy with a dog could walk up to a farmers door and walk awa with permission to hunt his back 40, come away with a coupld birds and have a good day. Now he has to have the cash to outbid the guy who flew in that morning in his leer. It is not just SD of course but some of our old ways are slowly passing into a different era...
Holland&Holland

Postby 1911fan on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:36 pm

I would be interested in a sporting clays day if that happens. If someone wants to try the group hunt but is missing a shottie, please don't let this stop you from speaking up. There are enough members talking about going whom I know I would have no trouble making sure an 870 or two could be provided.
1911fan

Postby Snowgun on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
I think what rankles is that it used to be a state where a boy with a dog could walk up to a farmers door and walk awa with permission to hunt his back 40, come away with a coupld birds and have a good day. Now he has to have the cash to outbid the guy who flew in that morning in his leer. It is not just SD of course but some of our old ways are slowly passing into a different era...

+1

Because of the connections I have, I've hunted at these SD game ranches with guys who have LITERALLY flown in with their leer, 10K bird gun, and top trained dog who doesn't know who the **** his master is, and watched them miss all day long. However, it was fun knowing that the freeze dried pheasant they went home with had my shot in it.... :twisted:
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

A forum bird hunt ?

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:58 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Try this:

Ingredients:

4-6 pheasant breasts
thinly sliced ham
shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 10.5oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
flour
salt & pepper to taste

Take your deboned breasts and put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and with a mallet pound them out till they are nice and thin no more than 1/2" (I like to try and get closer to 1/4" if I can).

Take the one of the flattened breasts and place a slice or two of ham and then a layer of the cheese leaving a space around the edges so you can tuck it in to seal it up. Roll them up as well as you can doing your best to close up the edges and secure with a toothpick or two. Repeat on the remaining breasts.

Once all the breasts are filled and rolled up lightly coat them in the lightly seasoned flour. Preheat a pan and with about 1 tbl spoon of olive oil and place breasts into pan to sear. Sear each breast quickly on all sides and then turn the heat to low. Add cream of mushroom soup and place lid on pan. Let cook for about an hour or so.

I like to serve this with wild rice and a nice Pinot.

I wonder how this would taste with a couple if goose breasts or some duck breasts? Any body try it before?
Hammered Squirrel

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting