New to hunting...

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

New to hunting...

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Can anyone suggest the right way to introduce myself and then my family to hunting? I have a few family members that hunt, but the lucky stiffs hunt in Canada every year and I can't afford the trip. I am interested in deer, pheasant, and maybe bear. I am so new I don't know which rifle is better for each game. I appreciate any and all honest tips or directions. We are moving up north and I and want to take advantage of all the area has to offer my family. Thanks in advance.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Re: New to hunting...

Postby DitchDR on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Where you located. I enjoy helping people young and old getting into hunting. Id be more than happy to taintorduce you to pheasant hunting. Usually its just me and my dog. I guess depending on your location this coming fall.
DitchDR

New to hunting...

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:45 pm

I live in Bloomington. But willing to travel a bit for the education.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby DitchDR on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I look around a bit and see what I can find in the middle. Otherwise, even though it was said that bird numbers were down last year, I shot birds everytime I went out down here. I was on public land also.
DitchDR

New to hunting...

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I would appreciate it. Like I said, moving to walking distance of the Gunflint trail, and not hunting seems blasphemous.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
Irish.40

Postby DitchDR on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Nice!! Just something to think about, if we were to hunt down here around Mankato, some of the land is Waterfowl Production Area. So plugged shotguns (can hold no more than 3 shots) and non toxic shot is required. Ill look into it and keep you posted. Ive kinda been looking to expand my hunting area. Ive been thinking more west of the metro. Glencoe area.
DitchDR

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Irish.40 wrote:I would appreciate it. Like I said, moving to walking distance of the Gunflint trail, and not hunting seems blasphemous.

What? IF you're moving up there forget about pheasant....you're after the wrong bird ;)
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

New to hunting...

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm

grousemaster wrote:
Irish.40 wrote:I would appreciate it. Like I said, moving to walking distance of the Gunflint trail, and not hunting seems blasphemous.

What? IF you're moving up there forget about pheasant....you're after the wrong bird ;)

Right now I am interested in any education. My dad was a falconer growing up. So I've never been hunting with a gun. Need to learn which ones to buy. I open to suggestions...
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
Irish.40

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Up that far you won't see many pheasant, grouse our more the bird of choice. But a little pheasant hunting will get you a start at shooting moving birds. In fairness grouse is as bunch tougher.

If you want to try pheasant keep your eyes open on this forum. Each fall I offer to take a youth and parent out on their first pheasant hunt. I do it at a game farm and provide the birds and dogs. The guest needs their our guns, ammo and the youth must have completed thier hunters safety. First yes when I post the offer gets the free guided hunt.

I've done this for the last 3 years and we always have a great time.
mmcnx2

New to hunting...

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I'll keep an eye out. Any recommendations on guns for bird, deer, bear?? Caliber included.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
Irish.40

Postby Mdclinks on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Have you completed hunter safety? It may be in your best interest of you and the family to take the course.
Mdclinks

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Irish.40 wrote:I'll keep an eye out. Any recommendations on guns for bird, deer, bear?? Caliber included.

Deer: I would think a .270 or larger if your in the RIFLE AREA. Most people up north hunt with .30-06 because you can find it at the local gas station, hair care and tire center. :D
Birds: any 12 gauge will do, but an 870 magnum or super magnum is probably the easiest to find and use, unless you cant handle the recoil... then a semi is better
Bear: I have no clue... Ive always wanted a bear skin rug in front of the fire place... Ya know for aesthetics purposes hahaha :D
Hammered Squirrel

Postby promod1385 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Go take a hunter safety course first and foremost (depending on your age this maybe a pre requisite to purchasing a hunting license). Just about any caliber of centerfire rifle will take down a deer (most recommend something .243 or larger).

Shotguns for bird hunting? Norther MN I would look at a 20gauge (generally lighter, and faster handling). If you plan to hunt waterfowl or upland birds in more open territory I would look at a 12gauge.
promod1385

Postby ex-LT on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Irish.40 wrote:I'll keep an eye out. Any recommendations on guns for bird, deer, bear?? Caliber included.

Birds:
For pheasant and grouse, obviously a shotgun. Pheasant I would recommend a 12 gauge. Grouse a 20 gauge would probably be sufficient, although a 12 ga with light game loads would work. Personally, because I hunt both, I have a 12 gauge (three of them, actually). For guns there's a lot of good options out there, but it's hard to go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500.

Deer/Bear:
Technically, any center fire of .22 caliber or larger is legal for large game in MN. Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .243. My recommendation would be one of the following:

.308 or any of its sub-caliber variants (.243 Win, .260 Rem, 7mm-08)
.30-06 or sub-caliber variants (.25-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem)

The short magnums (.243 WSSM, .25 WSSM, 7mm WSM, .300 WSM, 7mm Rem SAUM, .300 Rem SAUM) have gained a little popularity, but because of the diameter of the cartridge, you sacrifice magazine capacity.

Ammunition for the .308, .30-06, .270 and .243 can be found at most Walmart, K-Mart, Shopko, etc. .25-06 and .280 can be found at Fleet Farm. The others you'll have to look a little harder to find - I've found 7-08 at Dick's sporting goods, but usually have to go to GM or Cabela's.

Unless you're planning on hunting moose, I would stay away from the magnums (7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag). They're complete overkill for whitetail or black bear.

There's too many options for hunting rifles for me to make a recommendation. Personally, I use semi-autos and pumps, but I know a lot of people who use bolts or levers. Different strokes...
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby ex-LT on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Mdclinks wrote:Have you completed hunter safety? It may be in your best interest of you and the family to take the course.

Agreed. Plus, if you were born after 12/31/1979, it's required.

Get into a course as soon as you can. Better yet, take the online course, then find an instructor qualified to teach the all-day field day.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Next

Return to Hunting