Pheasants in the Bemdji area

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Pheasants in the Bemdji area

Postby cobb on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm

For those members that are in the Bemidji area, preferably a bit southwest of Bemidji, is there any game farms that sell live pheasants? I am bringing my new pup with me to Becida when deer hunting this year and since we have acreage of grassland at our Becida property that I can work a dog, I would be interested in a source for birds to plant. I do have the required dog training permit, so would prefer pheasants, but chuckers will work also, just need a source of birds.

I have checked out hunting preserves such as McCollum's Hunting Preserve in Bejou and Eagle Forest Acres in Blackduck, but spendy, especially since I have the property and just need a source for birds.

And help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Pheasants in the Bemdji area

Postby tman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm checking my sources.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby smurfman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:21 pm

If you're going up HWY 169, try the pheasant farm by Princeton. I've bought their old breeder hens for pretty cheap, usually for what quail would run. They are said to ship 50,000 birds per week so they tend to have a few oldsters on hand.
smurfman

Postby cobb on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 pm

My pheasant hunting trip to the west this weekend has been officially cancelled for me for a variety of reasons. All the more reasons now that I need a source of birds in the Bemidji area, will be up there for most of the week during deer season.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll be watching this thread. The sources I know about in the Central and Western part of the state say that South Dakota is buying all the birds they can produce. You can get them, but they are pretty expensive.

We have talked about doing what your thinking on our acreage near Morris - although a pretty good population is already there to give the younger dogs some practice on birds that you "know" should be in the area.

Not sure Bemdji helps me a whole lot, but just knowing that there is a source means that I should keep looking.

good luck and good hunting.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm

yukonjasper wrote:The sources I know about in the Central and Western part of the state say that South Dakota is buying all the birds they can produce. You can get them, but they are pretty expensive.

I doubt we have the same source, but I was told this also from the guy I got pheasants from Sunday. He has only a few left and the reason is that they look pretty rough, the SD buyer passed on them.

yukonjasper wrote:We have talked about doing what your thinking on our acreage near Morris - although a pretty good population is already there to give the younger dogs some practice on birds that you "know" should be in the area.

Since we have the 180 acres in Becida/Bemidji for deer hunting, with one field at about 20+ in open grassland, my thing would be only a couple times a year, pheasants are just about nonexistent, so I need to plant.

yukonjasper wrote:Not sure Bemdji helps me a whole lot, but just knowing that there is a source means that I should keep looking.

No reason that a person in the know about birds for sale in the Morris area can't jump in, may help more than just you. I mean there is a sticky thread about local ranges in different areas, why not a thread with sources for birds for training.

On a side note, I may go with chuckers, cheaper to buy, don't have to mark the birds or get the dog training permit every year.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

oakwoodgamefarm.com

They are in Princeton, and one of the biggest bird dealers in the state. Probably your best chance.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 pm

JJ wrote:oakwoodgamefarm.com

They are in Princeton, and one of the biggest bird dealers in the state. Probably your best chance.

Know that, can also buy in Mankato area at an inflated price but do not want to transport and keep birds for 3-4 days until needed. Yes I appreciate the info, but my goal is to buy within 24 hours of needed, assuming we fill our deer tags in the first few days. So would like to find a source as close to south Bemidji area as possible.

Maybe I should figure out a way to preserve live birds in a confined transporting way to keep them active/healthy for an extended period of time, like a few days with no hassle.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 am

Shooter115 where are you!!!!

He would be my Morris connection. I know the Pheasant farm just north of town on 59 looks like it went out of business a couple of years ago, beyond that I know a couple of the partners in the hunting shack have looked into getting birds, with no luck.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby sochr000 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 am

There's a pheasant farm in Federal Dam (Bader's Pheasant Run) not sure if they sell birds, or just do on site stuff.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby smurfman on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Oakwood is the one I was thinking of up above. We have kept pehasants in the shipping crates 4-5 days for training and trials. Give them some orange or apple slices for food and water, keep them out of the elements and sun, and you should be able to keep them a few days.

Buy hens as roosters are much harder to keep as they tend to fight when confined together. You will lose some if kept very long. Hens will also fight but not as hard or savagely. The longer birds are kept together the worse they will look from feather pulling but one isn't usually looking to mount them.
smurfman

Postby woundedwarriorsguide on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Eagle Forest Acres near Blackduck
woundedwarriorsguide

Postby tman on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:01 pm

woundedwarriorsguide wrote:Eagle Forest Acres near Blackduck

That's about a 1/2 hour drive or so north of Bemidji. Through the corner of the rez. About 40 minutes if you go around.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Return to Hunting