Ammo help

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Ammo help

Postby farmerj on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 am

so what makes a 338 win mag more ethical than a .223?
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Shipyard on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 am

farmerj wrote:so what makes a 338 win mag more ethical than a .223?

the person behind it
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby farmerj on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am

Shipyard wrote:
farmerj wrote:so what makes a 338 win mag more ethical than a .223?

the person behind it

I didn't expect that answer so quickly.....

Because (IMHO) it's the only answer that makes it right.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:53 am

All it takes to be cured of not taking the time to sight in a rifle or shooting an inadequate round at an improper distance is having to spend hours tracking a wounded deer over hill and dale through swamps and across rivers.

I wonder if some of the hunters today take the time and spend the energy to track deer. I know that over the last few years we have had 2 deer killed on the property that had been shot already. We didn't dig out the round that was originally shot - probably should have. One of those was in pretty bad shape and seemed like it should have been a deer that would have been tracked by a hunter. In both cases, no hunter showed up. Luckily it was a year when we had an intensive harvest, so it was just another tag to fill, but would have sucked it that was your deer - limping out of the woods, half dead already.

I agree that if you choose a smaller caliber, you had better be confident of your marksmenship skills and be damned sure you know the limits of the caliber.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 am

I dunno, I am sure I could take a deer with a .223 rifle and the right ammo (not 50 grain ballistic tip V-Maxes) but I have other options in the safe that will work better (.44 magnum carbine inside of 100 yards and .308 up to 500 yards before I am concerned about bullet performance). It's not about being right or wrong in the eyes of other hunters, I know what works for me and what has-should work with a reasonable margin of error to avoid having to track a wounded deer all over. It's both an ethical and practical concern as I see it...

Might bring the .223 along with the same 50 grain V-Maxes for yotes while we're out for the week though. :)
yuppiejr

Postby plblark on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Buddy and I dragged out a gut shot der that someone else shot last year. There was no bullet but LOTS of fragments inside.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby farmerj on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 pm

plblark wrote:Buddy and I dragged out a gut shot der that someone else shot last year. There was no bullet but LOTS of fragments inside.

More likely bullet selection than caliber issue
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby plblark on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Yep ... considered that with the OP mention of varmint bullets and the later admonition against the varmint Grenade stuff...
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby farmerj on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:49 pm

yukonjasper wrote:All it takes to be cured of not taking the time to sight in a rifle or shooting an inadequate round at an improper distance is having to spend hours tracking a wounded deer over hill and dale through swamps and across rivers.

I wonder if some of the hunters today take the time and spend the energy to track deer. I know that over the last few years we have had 2 deer killed on the property that had been shot already. We didn't dig out the round that was originally shot - probably should have. One of those was in pretty bad shape and seemed like it should have been a deer that would have been tracked by a hunter. In both cases, no hunter showed up. Luckily it was a year when we had an intensive harvest, so it was just another tag to fill, but would have sucked it that was your deer - limping out of the woods, half dead already.

I agree that if you choose a smaller caliber, you had better be confident of your marksmenship skills and be damned sure you know the limits of the caliber.

I have tracked such an animal for 7 hours. Only to have it's kill shot be taken by someone else.

Gun Used: .338 Win Mag.

The owner hunts a lot, but only puts 4 rounds through it each year to "verify the scope is still on". :roll:
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby AutomaticAron on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. My shooting experience is pretty much relegated to plinking and range duty so anything beyond Tula, Wolf, and PMC Bronze is unfamiliar to me. I grabbed a box of 62 grain Fusion soft points today so I'll see how that works out.
"The best tactical add-on is 10,000 rounds of practice ammo" -Hickok45
AutomaticAron

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 pm

AutomaticAron wrote:Thanks to everyone for the assistance. My shooting experience is pretty much relegated to plinking and range duty so anything beyond Tula, Wolf, and PMC Bronze is unfamiliar to me. I grabbed a box of 62 grain Fusion soft points today so I'll see how that works out.

Sounds MUCH better than your first ammo choice! Good luck this season.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

xracer390 wrote:
forcefed wrote:
.223 is plenty to take down a whitetail.

but not .25 out of a pistol.......

Actually, this is a good thing. This is the DNR starting to get out of the nanny state business at least a little bit. It leaves it up to the hunters to decide what is ethical, not the government.
Holland&Holland

Postby sochr000 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Never used the fusion myself, but last year I took a good sized doe with the ammo I will link below.

As everyone else has said, make sure you take your time, choose your shot well, and do the right thing. I almost got to muscle fatigue last year waiting for the doe to turn just a little bit more (teach me to bring a "super-bull bbl" ar-15...), but it was worth the wait, as she went 7-10yds and fell.

AMMO
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Ammo help

Postby Snowgun on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 pm

7mm bitches! Anything else is amateur hour!
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby dsprag on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I use the federal premium 62 gr. nosler partion ( which is bonded) and it works very well in the .223.
The fusion should work equally as well.
dsprag

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting