Blackpowder/Muzzleloader question

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Blackpowder/Muzzleloader question

Postby sochr000 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 am

This year I am planning to go muzzleloader hunting for the first time(I've had the ML for a few years and am confident in my abilities). I have a TC Omega

In the past I have used the Triple 7 pellets (or whatever they're called), but haven't gotten the accuracy I feel I should be getting. I am planning to start using actual powder, but am not quite sure what size to use (FF, FFFG, FFFFG, etc). The internet has given me different information on this, ranging from FF to FFFFG, and wanted some input.

When I get home from work today I will find the manual for my ML and see if that has any information, but a quick search of the TC site didn't give me anything useful. I plan to practice all this week to get the load built correctly, and if I can't get it figured out in time, I won't go out (so don't jump on me for possibly wounding deer due to not knowing what I'm doing).
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Re: Blackpowder/Muzzleloader question

Postby rugersol on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 am

I ain't shot mine much, but I used Hodgdon triple-7 ("FFG") with no issues!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby sochr000 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 am

rugersol wrote:I ain't shot mine much, but I used Hodgdon triple-7 ("FFG") with no issues!

That's the size I figured I should use. I did find a manual for my ML online, and even that wasn't too helpful, although it said that most people used FF for .50cal MLs
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby smurfman on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:32 pm

For 50 caliber and larger it has long been recommended to use FFg for best results. I've used FFFg in 50 and 54 calibers and found they gave best results with lower charges with heavy charges having noticeably greater recoil and less accuracy than a similar weight of FFg. This was especially true when using round balls as the patches were burned through using the finer grade powder.

I use FFg in my 54 caliber and save the FFFg for use in the revolvers. I find that to work pretty well.
smurfman

Postby Rem700 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I would try both FF and FFF start around 40/50grs and work your way up in 5gr increments.
The type of patch/lube,sabot, ball, bullet, and ramrod pressure and consistancy will all contribute to accuracy as well.
Better get started now as you probably got started about 6 mths late doing load development.

FFFFG is basically primer powder for flintlocks stay away.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby spyder357 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

I love my tc omega, only gun I've ever taken deer with.

I used to use Hodgdon's triple 7 but switched to 2 pellets and Hornady 250gr SST-ML bullets (with the stems to preload the pellets onto).

Honestly, they are accurate and much easier to load ( Some of the Omegas tend to be tight, I have one of them). A couple of these in speedloader tubes and it really cuts down on the amount of crap I have to carry with.
spyder357

Postby tenmilmag on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Reloading for a second shot?!!! Tends to be a hassle. I just carry two muzzle loaders into the woods. Initially wanted to carry a six shot black powder revolver, but the DNR bans them. Then i thought I would get a double barrel muzzle loader but they're like 1100-1500$ very cool tho. FFG triple seven powder. Remington STS 209 Premier primers. 295 grain .50 cal power belt bullets. TC Encore. TC Omega. Knight Shadow. Gotta have a back up for the back up :). Besides, there may be more than one nice buck running thru the woods in December. And we all know there's always tags to be filled. That's why I carry t h r e e smoke poles :) after all, you got two shoulders and a free hand, right?

Wondering how your hunt went, then? And what you ended up using? I like the powder but the pellets are popular. I like the powder because I believe it fires better as the powder fills the entire barrel behind the bullet, where the pellets may have air spaces, like the powder in a casing of a bullet- conforms to cavity. Just how I feel about it. I've gotten my brothers and cousins into muzzle loader hunting and they all started with the pellets because they are easy to load up. No measuring, spilling and whatever. Most of them have switched to powder now tho.
tenmilmag

Re: Re: Blackpowder/Muzzleloader question

Postby goalie on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm

sochr000 wrote:This year I am planning to go muzzleloader hunting for the first time(I've had the ML for a few years and am confident in my abilities). I have a TC Omega

In the past I have used the Triple 7 pellets (or whatever they're called), but haven't gotten the accuracy I feel I should be getting. I am planning to start using actual powder, but am not quite sure what size to use (FF, FFFG, FFFFG, etc). The internet has given me different information on this, ranging from FF to FFFFG, and wanted some input.

When I get home from work today I will find the manual for my ML and see if that has any information, but a quick search of the TC site didn't give me anything useful. I plan to practice all this week to get the load built correctly, and if I can't get it figured out in time, I won't go out (so don't jump on me for possibly wounding deer due to not knowing what I'm doing).

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the pellets?

My Knight is a track-driver with pyrodex pellets. Much better than with loose powder. The limiting factor is the lack of a scope.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Return to Hunting