Wolf Hunting Land

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Wolf Hunting Land

Postby stottingmuley on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

Hi everyone. Hammered Squirrel and I, along with a longtime friend, got drawn for the late season wolf hunt. We already have a little land to hunt up by Walker where we are told they occasionally see wolves. However, I am aware that the success rate of wolf hunting is pretty low. That is why we are trying to expand our options/ improve our chances. I am asking if anyone has land up north where we could gain permission to hunt. Or if anybody knows of public land and has experienced contacts with wolves. I am asking this as a favor... maybe you would like to help out a couple of forum members? Maybe you have wolves on your property and would like someone to try and help reduce the number. Whatever your reason, it would be a great service to us and a good way to meet some new compatriots. We are excited to hunt wolves this first yeat, but we are all from the south metro and do not have a ton of ties to northern mn. All three of us are dedicated, ethical hunters. We will be respectful of you, your property, and your wishes. I would be glad to answer questions about us if you have any. We could meet or speak by phone if either works. Otherwise, if you are interested in helping just post or pm me. Thanks and I hope to hear from you!
My old man told me, before he left this ******* world, never chase buses or women, you'll always be left behind.
stottingmuley

Re: Wolf Hunting Land

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 pm

I would consider calling any feed stores in the are you plan on hunting. they can probably put you in touch with cattle farmers that have had problems with wolves. :ugeek:
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Anokamnman on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:06 pm

I have have not had direct contact with any wolves so far thank god. But I have heard their howling quite a bit. And I have seen them a couple hundred yards away from me. I will call my neighbor down the road and see if he would be open to the idea. He has a big beef farm. About 700 acres. I will check with him in the next couple days for you.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby stottingmuley on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the help so far. That would be great to be able to return the favor of permission by helping out someone that has issues with wolves and their livestock. We only have to worry about coyotes so I can't exactly sympathize, but we do our best to keep them leery about our farm lol.
My old man told me, before he left this ******* world, never chase buses or women, you'll always be left behind.
stottingmuley

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Contact the Federal Animal Damage Control people, not the DNR.
In Wisconsin they always gave me 30 day kill licenses, where the DNR just wanted to ticket for shooting a game animal out of season.
I my case it was Black Bears in the Spring, before we had a wolf problem.
OldmanFCSA

Postby LarryP on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm not a hunter- Wondering how you guys hunt wolves? Do you put food out? Call them in? Wait for them to walk by? Just curious.

Then what is done with the meat? Can you eat them? :o I'm guess the hide is used to?
LarryP

Postby tman on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

this is what I use for bait..

:lol:
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Wolf Hunting Land

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:16 pm

tman wrote:this is what I use for bait..

:lol:

I'm thinking that might attract the wrong type of predator, well least one that we have tags for. :D
Hammered Squirrel

Postby stottingmuley on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm

LarryP wrote:I'm not a hunter- Wondering how you guys hunt wolves? Do you put food out? Call them in? Wait for them to walk by? Just curious.

Then what is done with the meat? Can you eat them? :o I'm guess the hide is used to?

You can bait or call them in as far as actively hunting them. From what I understand, baiting is generally more effective for trapping. The hide, if successful, will be used to make either a rug or a full mount. It is a trophy animal, one that needs to be managed. I'm sure its possible to eat the meat, but why bother... I prefer Labrador :D
stottingmuley

Postby stottingmuley on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm

LarryP wrote:I'm not a hunter- Wondering how you guys hunt wolves? Do you put food out? Call them in? Wait for them to walk by? Just curious.

You can bait or call them in as far as actively hunting them. From what I understand, baiting is generally more effective for trapping. The hide, if successful, will be used to make either a rug or a full mount. It is a trophy animal, one that needs to be managed. I'm sure its possible to eat the meat, but why bother... I prefer Labrador :D
stottingmuley

Return to Hunting