Crow hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Crow hunting

Postby smurfman on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Any one been out this month? The weather hasn't been the greatest but I have been out several times.

Earlier, I needed snowshoes to get to my hunting spots and the dogs stayed home as it was too difficult for them to do the retrieving. Once the weather warmed up and crusted over enough to support their weight they came with. I still needed snowshoes to get there but things were improving.

Hunting has been good, I've taken about double what I have taken in past years. I have no idea why but I am not complaining. I just wish the weather was nicer as it did get unpleasant at times.
smurfman

Re: Crow hunting

Postby LumberZach on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Haven't been out yet, it still feels like winter so I haven't even thought about it yet... Hopefully I do go out soon though!
LumberZach

Postby smurfman on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 pm

You better hurry, the season ends at the end of the month. Today was tough, I got out while it was snowing and only one crow came to stay. I did have a Great Horned owl come to check out the caller, that was the second time that has happened.

I have the next two days to hunt, I think I'll try the cabin as I haven't been there this month. It is a bit tougher as one needs to make sure they aren't shooting a raven as I believe they are protected. At least I declare them off limits.
smurfman

Postby hunterfreakhd on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

smurfman wrote:You better hurry, the season ends at the end of the month. Today was tough, I got out while it was snowing and only one crow came to stay. I did have a Great Horned owl come to check out the caller, that was the second time that has happened.

I have the next two days to hunt, I think I'll try the cabin as I haven't been there this month. It is a bit tougher as one needs to make sure they aren't shooting a raven as I believe they are protected. At least I declare them off limits.

It's always crow season! You can shoot them if they are doing damage or about to do damage. Leaves it wide open. Pretty much they are always about to do damage. Smug bastards
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby LumberZach on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:56 am

hunterfreakhd wrote:
smurfman wrote:You better hurry, the season ends at the end of the month. Today was tough, I got out while it was snowing and only one crow came to stay. I did have a Great Horned owl come to check out the caller, that was the second time that has happened.

It's always crow season! You can shoot them if they are doing damage or about to do damage. Leaves it wide open. Pretty much they are always about to do damage. Smug bastards

That is true! It is hard to claim them about to do damage on public land though :roll:
LumberZach

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

I read that too fast. Thought it said cow hunting...

Sent from LG G2
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby smurfman on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm

hunterfreakhd wrote:It's always crow season! You can shoot them if they are doing damage or about to do damage. Leaves it wide open. Pretty much they are always about to do damage. Smug bastards

Outside of the set seasons you are not allowed to use calls, decoys, or other attractants. That makes it a bit harder to hunt them on my terms rather than theirs. It also leaves you open to the warden's or sheriff's interpretation of "about to" which may not be to your liking.
smurfman

Postby Makarov on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 am

Smug bastards is right!

Many times crows have been hanging around the trees by my 100 yd target stand as I walk from my house to the garage (about 15 steps)
I can wander back and forth empty handed and they just watch me.
I carry my rifle, and they instantly fly off :evil:
I've even tried to "hide it" along my body and they still vacate the area, throwing raucous insults my way.

I swear they KNOW when I'm after them.
Then.... I left the rifle in the garage overnight. :lol:
:gun:
It worked really well...once :mrgreen:
Makarov

Crow hunting

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:01 am

So how do you guys cook your crows after you get them home and cleaned? ;-)
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby hunterfreakhd on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 am

PhilaBOR wrote:So how do you guys cook your crows after you get them home and cleaned? ;-)

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby smurfman on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm

I have several recipes I use for crow, most of them are stew type dishes but not all. I have one hors 'd oeuvre recipe which people seem to like and I regularly bring it to a fondue cook put on by an organization I am a member of.

I only use the winter crows for eating, those are the ones I shoot outside of mosquito season. This way I reduce the risk of disease transfers which seem much more common in the warmer months. Summer crows are left for the coyotes and they have recognized this easy pickin's as I have seen a couple come to the caller and wait for a crow to fall near them. It works out to good training as I work on my dogs honoring the coyote's "retrieve".
smurfman

Postby Makarov on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 pm

I prepare mine with the careful application of copper, lead alloy and a dash of polycarbonate. When applied properly, this produces a spectacular presentation of Corvus on pure white snow. This epicurean feast is left for the wild foodies that frequent my area. When they are finished dining, the remainder is recycled naturally. ;)
Makarov

Crow hunting

Postby PhilaBOR on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 pm

:-)
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Return to Hunting