Any ideas for geese hunting locations?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Any ideas for geese hunting locations?

Postby Nemo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:03 am

LarryP wrote:I'm not a hunter, can you put out food for geese in a field? I know you can't for deer.

I don't think it's prohibited but it would make absolutely no sense as geese cannot smell it or see it from the sky. Besides, there are lot of fields with plenty of food for them such as corn fields and this is where they go. Instead, geese hunters use decoys, calling, and few other tricks.

Btw, I found some great spots, so thank you everybody, especially JJ for your thoughts.
Happy White Season !
Nemo

Postby crbutler on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 am

It is flat out illegal to put out food to bring them in. Its called baiting. The feds don't allow it for hunting waterfowl anywhere- but hunting on a field that was planted in whatever is OK, as long as you don't put it out to feed them- the term normal agricultural spillage is used by CO's when discussing this. It is well covered in the hunting regs. You do not need to be aware of the field being baited to be guilty of an offense. Some antis were baiting fields and calling the CO's on hunters hunting there in the not too distant past- its your responsibility to be aware of it.

Actually, baiting for deer is illegal in MN, but there are a number of states where it is legal (Texas being notable), and one can bait bear here, but it is illegal in some other states.

Bait hunting bear in AK is kind of a strange issue- you can hunt over normal waste or carrion (including a brown bear carcass, as its exempted from the wanton waste laws) but you cannot put waste out in a spot to bring bear in....
crbutler

Postby JJ on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:14 am

Nemo wrote:
Btw, I found some great spots, so thank you everybody, especially JJ for your thoughts.

Hope your season was more fruitful than mine. I usually focus on early season, and then post deer hunting. This year, I couldn't get out in the early season at all, and I spent my deer opener in a box stand watching the migration all go down in a three day span, with most of it happening in a 24 hour period. I literally watched tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of birds working between the state slough to the north of our property, and the lake just to the south. I could have pass shot every species in the flyway from my deer stand, as they were literally flying eye level coming by my stand.

Instead, I was sitting in stand hoping for one of our big boys to come along. :poundon: :doh: :angryvillagers:

Now I'm patiently waiting for snow goose migration in the spring, and working on improving my spread, and rigging the enclosed trailer I picked up for hauling my junk.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Nemo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 am

JJ wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Instead, I was sitting in stand hoping for one of our big boys to come along. :poundon: :doh: :angryvillagers:

Any luck with big boys? I've got none but was lucky to watch wolves chasing one, unfortunately too far and for the split second on open view.
Also watched tens of thousands of birds flying high and even shot down one at the high altitude (about 40-50 I think), after about 20 unsuccessful shots and lot of fun )). Tomorrow going one last time.
Nemo

Postby JJ on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:47 am

Nemo wrote:
JJ wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Any luck with big boys? I've got none but was lucky to watch wolves chasing one, unfortunately too far and for the split second on open view.
Also watched tens of thousands of birds flying high and even shot down one at the high altitude (about 40-50 I think), after about 20 unsuccessful shots and lot of fun )). Tomorrow going one last time.

Passed on a couple forks, couple 6's and a smallish 8. I finish up pheasant season next week, and then it's the long wait for the end of March, early April for snows in SD.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Previous

Return to Hunting